Sign in to follow this  
Tom-Joad

Leon Redbone

So a few days ago I start seeing on my Facebook feed news of the passing of this guy called Leon Redbone. Never heard of the guy so I don’t give it too much thought. Then Dr. John’s Facebook page posts a video of both of them singing Frosty the Snowman. I give it a go and before I know it I’m listening to Leon Redbone non-stop.

Now I’m wondering how it is that I’d never heard of the guy. Why did I only find out about him after he died? Friends, Sprotify logarithms, Amazon logarithms, Internet forums, how come no one told me about Leon Redbone?

What an absolute legend this guy was.

He was known to those of us who are older, I expect. An unconventional character.

1 minute ago, JimCT said:

He was known to those of us who are older, I expect. An unconventional character.

From what I’ve seen, he had quite a few American TV appearances back in the day, so that would have been both wrong place and wrong time for me. But given the stuff I listen to, it’s really a mystery that I’d never heard of him. I’m glad I finally did.

Oh sad news. I'd never heard about that ! I first heard his music when the "Sugar" album came out, in the late 80s, I think. It's still a great record that I keep playing every now and then. Great old-fashioned music you have to love ! I always found that Dylan's voice from the 2000s started sounding like Leon's (on records, I mean). I also have "Champagne Charlie", which is nearly quite as good to me.

I also saw him live in 1992, in my hometown of Lyon, France. A nice little show in an unusual venue. He was sitting on stage with two other musicians by his sides. His music was so delicate ! 

Sad news indeed. 

• Like 1