Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Born In the USA Live: London 2013 now up on YouTube


Recommended Posts

I was there, I was also at the Paris show the night before, and he played the full BITUSA album there too, so I got it twice in 2 nights, which was a bit much. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Is this the one that came free with the HH album?

Yes.

I've had the DVD of this since then, watched it a few times back then but not recently. It's actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be at the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tnx.

 

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight.  Maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing that particular album.  I dunno.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Tnx.

 

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight.  Maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing that particular album.  I dunno.

My Hometown was great though :wub:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

 

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight. 

Some major highlights for me, including the aforementioned My Hometown (song is always splendid) and, actually, Workin' On The Highway.

But the light overall just don't cut it for me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this. Watching I'm reminded again of the stark, seductive, and horrific nature of what I've come to call the Domestic Violence Suite that closes side one of the album: "Darlington County", "Working on the Highway", "Downbound Train", and "I'm on Fire". Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side; the catchiness of the songs just adds to their terrifying power.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

 Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side

Nebraska Side 1?

Also Joad Side 1 (the first 6 songs, in particular Straight Time, Highway 29, Youngstown), even if album sides were not that important any more in the 90s (but for Bruce they still were). (sorry to go off-topic)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

Thanks for this. Watching I'm reminded again of the stark, seductive, and horrific nature of what I've come to call the Domestic Violence Suite that closes side one of the album: "Darlington County", "Working on the Highway", "Downbound Train", and "I'm on Fire". Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side; the catchiness of the songs just adds to their terrifying power.

"Terrifying power"?  "Domestic violence"?

:blink:

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Nebraska Side 1?

Also Joad Side 1 (the first 6 songs, in particular Straight Time, Highway 29, Youngstown), even if album sides were not that important any more in the 90s (but for Bruce they still were). (sorry to go off-topic)

Yep, those are two good choices too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

"Terrifying power"?  "Domestic violence"? 

:blink:

 

Thanks for your reply. I guess "terrifying power" is highly subjective, so I wouldn't argue with you (or anyone) who disagrees on that.

As for "domestic violence", it may not be the best way to summarize those four songs (other suggestions welcome!), but:

*the guy in "Darlington County" drives off with a (young) prostitute(?) while his buddy is getting arrested;

*the guy in "Working on the HIghway" ends up on the chain gang for (at least) transporting a minor across state lines;

*the guy in "Downbound Train" ends up on a "railroad gang" after a home invasion that ends when "...I heard that long whistle whine; And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried";

*and the guy in "I'm on Fire" has a "bad desire...like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul".

None of these relationships end well (to say the least).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

Thanks for your reply. I guess "terrifying power" is highly subjective, so I wouldn't argue with you (or anyone) who disagrees on that.

As for "domestic violence", it may not be the best way to summarize those four songs (other suggestions welcome!), but:

*the guy in "Darlington County" drives off with a (young) prostitute(?) while his buddy is getting arrested;

*the guy in "Working on the HIghway" ends up on the chain gang for (at least) transporting a minor across state lines;

*the guy in "Downbound Train" ends up on a "railroad gang" after a home invasion that ends when "...I heard that long whistle whine; And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried";

*and the guy in "I'm on Fire" has a "bad desire...like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul".

None of these relationships end well (to say the least).

IOF has always been icky, to me.  We've tossed it around several times around here.

It's a perv's song.  I'm amazed he's got away with it.

But, Elvis Costello still gets away with using the 'n' word.  So, there you go.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

*the guy in "Darlington County" drives off with a (young) prostitute(?) while his buddy is getting arrested;

There was a topic about Darlington County some years ago about (among other things) the suggestion the buddy, Wayne, is arrested because he is black while the narrator gets away with the unsaid thing(s) they do together, because he is white. With also the suggestion the female character is maybe also black. Or maybe not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Lampi said:

There was a topic about Darlington County some years ago about (among other things) the suggestion the buddy, Wayne, is arrested because he is black while the narrator gets away with the unsaid thing(s) they do together, because he is white. With also the suggestion the female character is maybe also black. Or maybe not.

How can you tell the colour of Wayne's skin? Am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Silvia said:

How can you tell the colour of Wayne's skin? Am I missing something?

That is why it was all speculation.

Also because Darlington County is in South Carolina.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

I was there: highlight was undoubtedly the total surprise acoustic My Lucky Day closer, but the BitUSA performance was well appreciated by the crowd and generally a lot of fun.

I was also there. My Lucky Day and Jungleland just about saved it. The only Bruce gig I've been to where I came away disappointed. Wasn't impressed when he decided  to do the USA album in full but... I've been enjoying these videos! Some great stuff that clearly didn't translate for me at the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...