Greasy Lake Community

Born In the USA Live: London 2013 now up on YouTube

I was there, I was also at the Paris show the night before, and he played the full BITUSA album there too, so I got it twice in 2 nights, which was a bit much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Is this the one that came free with the HH album?

Yes.

I've had the DVD of this since then, watched it a few times back then but not recently. It's actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be at the time.

• Like 2

Tnx.

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight.  Maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing that particular album.  I dunno.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Tnx.

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight.  Maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing that particular album.  I dunno.

My Hometown was great though :wub:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

There's something about it that just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's because it's performed in daylight. 

Some major highlights for me, including the aforementioned My Hometown (song is always splendid) and, actually, Workin' On The Highway.

But the light overall just don't cut it for me.  

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Watching I'm reminded again of the stark, seductive, and horrific nature of what I've come to call the Domestic Violence Suite that closes side one of the album: "Darlington County", "Working on the Highway", "Downbound Train", and "I'm on Fire". Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side; the catchiness of the songs just adds to their terrifying power.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side

Nebraska Side 1?

Also Joad Side 1 (the first 6 songs, in particular Straight Time, Highway 29, Youngstown), even if album sides were not that important any more in the 90s (but for Bruce they still were). (sorry to go off-topic)

32 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

Thanks for this. Watching I'm reminded again of the stark, seductive, and horrific nature of what I've come to call the Domestic Violence Suite that closes side one of the album: "Darlington County", "Working on the Highway", "Downbound Train", and "I'm on Fire". Off the top of my head, that's as scary a quartet of characters as Springsteen has packed onto an album side; the catchiness of the songs just adds to their terrifying power.

"Terrifying power"?  "Domestic violence"?

:blink:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Nebraska Side 1?

Also Joad Side 1 (the first 6 songs, in particular Straight Time, Highway 29, Youngstown), even if album sides were not that important any more in the 90s (but for Bruce they still were). (sorry to go off-topic)

Yep, those are two good choices too.

10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

"Terrifying power"?  "Domestic violence"? 

:blink:

Thanks for your reply. I guess "terrifying power" is highly subjective, so I wouldn't argue with you (or anyone) who disagrees on that.

As for "domestic violence", it may not be the best way to summarize those four songs (other suggestions welcome!), but:

*the guy in "Darlington County" drives off with a (young) prostitute(?) while his buddy is getting arrested;

*the guy in "Working on the HIghway" ends up on the chain gang for (at least) transporting a minor across state lines;

*the guy in "Downbound Train" ends up on a "railroad gang" after a home invasion that ends when "...I heard that long whistle whine; And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried";

*and the guy in "I'm on Fire" has a "bad desire...like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul".

None of these relationships end well (to say the least).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

Thanks for your reply. I guess "terrifying power" is highly subjective, so I wouldn't argue with you (or anyone) who disagrees on that.

As for "domestic violence", it may not be the best way to summarize those four songs (other suggestions welcome!), but:

*the guy in "Darlington County" drives off with a (young) prostitute(?) while his buddy is getting arrested;

*the guy in "Working on the HIghway" ends up on the chain gang for (at least) transporting a minor across state lines;

*the guy in "Downbound Train" ends up on a "railroad gang" after a home invasion that ends when "...I heard that long whistle whine; And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried";

*and the guy in "I'm on Fire" has a "bad desire...like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul".

None of these relationships end well (to say the least).

IOF has always been icky, to me.  We've tossed it around several times around here.

It's a perv's song.  I'm amazed he's got away with it.

But, Elvis Costello still gets away with using the 'n' word.  So, there you go.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MassCommons said:

There was a topic about Darlington County some years ago about (among other things) the suggestion the buddy, Wayne, is arrested because he is black while the narrator gets away with the unsaid thing(s) they do together, because he is white. With also the suggestion the female character is maybe also black. Or maybe not.

29 minutes ago, Lampi said:

There was a topic about Darlington County some years ago about (among other things) the suggestion the buddy, Wayne, is arrested because he is black while the narrator gets away with the unsaid thing(s) they do together, because he is white. With also the suggestion the female character is maybe also black. Or maybe not.

How can you tell the colour of Wayne's skin? Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, Silvia said:

How can you tell the colour of Wayne's skin? Am I missing something?

That is why it was all speculation.

Also because Darlington County is in South Carolina.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

I was there: highlight was undoubtedly the total surprise acoustic My Lucky Day closer, but the BitUSA performance was well appreciated by the crowd and generally a lot of fun.

I was also there. My Lucky Day and Jungleland just about saved it. The only Bruce gig I've been to where I came away disappointed. Wasn't impressed when he decided  to do the USA album in full but... I've been enjoying these videos! Some great stuff that clearly didn't translate for me at the time.

• Like 2