Sign in to follow this  
Ann Jones

Women's World Cup

Anyone joining me in watching this, or will I be alone in my corner defending the women like last time;)

Which sport are we on here?

I will not, it really has nothing to do with women. I've kind of become a Football (soccer) snob! I can't even watch the MLS. 

By the way USA 5 opponent 0 in the final!   

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

Anyone joining me in watching this, or will I be alone in my corner defending the women like last time;)

I might have a swatch here and there ....... is it on council TV?

4 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I will 100% back the USWNT. With a soft spot for the U.K. and NZ squads. 

• Like 1

I will 100% support whomever is playing against England....

ps Jim no UK team but England and Scotland qualified (unlike the mens team who last qualified when dinosaurs ruled the earth)

2 hours ago, AMIW said:

ps Jim no UK team but England and Scotland qualified (unlike the mens team who last qualified when dinosaurs ruled the earth)

England then - Lionesses :) 

11 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I watch as many games as I can during every WWC. I will never forget Rapinhoe's pass to Wambaugh in the final seconds against Brazil in the semis in '11. As brilliant a moment as I've ever seen, regardless of the gender of the players. Brilliant is brilliant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

You'll find that when you eventually get your "victory" it will be a hollow one, but as a glory hunter football fan i guess you'll be used to that feeling :D

11 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I might have a swatch here and there ....... is it on council TV?

Yes, BBC.

I have to be honest, I've lost interest in the Scotland national men's team, not cos they're shite but primarily for socio-political and cultural reasons, but I may keep an eye on the women's team's progress.

Shelly Kerr has been quoted for jobs within the men's game (though I still see that as being a ways off sadly) but she made the shortlist for manager of the year in Scotland, which was a positive.

.....and a colleague is, as we speak, organising a sweep.

This will give me another partisan interest.

I got USA, I remember them winning it in the past. Are they any use this time round?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I got USA, I remember them winning it in the past. Are they any use this time round?

Yes, still ranked #1.

I'll be watching as always.  I think the only problem with the women's international game is the uneven level of the teams but that is more an issue of the federations as it is anything else.  The nations that invest in their teams put good teams on the field and they play a high-quality game; it really is that simple.  And it's entertaining stuff when the better sides meet in a high stakes match and the good news is the level of competition really is getting better by the year.  The US women have their work cut out for them this year; I'm a bit uneasy about the goalkeeping and the back line.  On the other hand their forwards are brilliant and can score a lot of goals.  I suspect they will have to.  If I was forced to put 20 down I'd probably put it on the English side; good team, looks hungry and that New Zealand friendly aside they have had a good run-up.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I have to be honest, I've lost interest in the Scotland national men's team, not cos they're shite but primarily for socio-political and cultural reasons, 

:D You had me at "cos they're shite" 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

You'll find that when you eventually get your "victory" it will be a hollow one, but as a glory hunter football fan i guess you'll be used to that feeling :D

What's a glory hunter? I've this several times over the last few weeks. 

5 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

:D You had me at "cos they're shite" 

There's a perverse, bloody minded pleasure in supporting your team when they're rank rotten.............as, I'm sure, you well know.

I had some of my best laughs following the Dons during the Skovdahl era when we were just a shambles.

There's a "we happy few" mentality kicks in.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

There's a perverse, bloody minded pleasure in supporting your team when they're rank rotten.............as, I'm sure, you well know.

I had some of my best laughs following the Dons during the Skovdahl era when we were just a shambles.

There's a "we happy few" mentality kicks in.

Oh yes, that's something I am very familiar with...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

What's a glory hunter? I've this several times over the last few weeks. 

Someone who supports a winning team, but only when they win. "Bandwagon" would be another term here in the US.

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Someone who supports a winning team, but only when they win. "Bandwagon" would be another term here in the US.

I was wondering, because for the 11 years I've been looking in on this forum Andrew has always been a LFC supporter. So I was wondering why he maybe a glory hunter.

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I was wondering, because for the 11 years I've been looking in on this forum Andrew has always been a LFC supporter. So I was wondering why he maybe a glory hunter.

I think Andrew started being a Liverpool fan in the 80s..you know when they were winning everything :lol: ;)

On 6/5/2019 at 4:52 AM, Ann Jones said:

ill.check in anf follow your thread 

i saw this on the news the other night about Lilly Parr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-48496334

_107217006_lil2.jpg

16 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I think Andrew started being a Liverpool fan in the 80s..you know when they were winning everything :lol: ;)

You can usually tell by their age or when they started to watch football...

e.g. 80s kids were Liverpool fans, 90s kids Man U, then we got a flood of Chelsea fans when they started throwing money around, now the bandwagon is Man City.

• Like 1