Sign in to follow this  
whispered secret

Women's World Cup

England seems to be struggling to close out matches.  Somebody needs to put some gunpowder in their Weetabix before they come up against higher quality sides.

• Like 1

Not a good second half from England, but an excellent result. Feel really sorry for Scotland but at 3-0 up they should have been able to close out.

• Like 1

Back in the day when Scotland used to qualify regularly for finals they used to find increasingly more imaginative ways to fail to qualify for the next round.

But by Christ the girls took it to a whole new level tonight.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The new rule on penalties is going to take time for goalkeepers to get the hang of. Strange that they're being so strict on that but seemingly not on encroachment by other players.

The referee's timekeeping at the end was bizarre to say the least.

21 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Back in the day when Scotland used to qualify regularly for finals they used to find increasingly more imaginative ways to fail to qualify for the next round.

Spursy...

11 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Spursy...

Scotland have been doing Spursy since before Spurs were dominating English football with Billy Brown, Dave Mackay and John White.

Just now, MagicRatAFC said:

Scotland have been doing Spursy since before Spurs were dominating English football with Billy Brown, Dave Mackay and John White.

I know but I just kind of wanted to get in a quick dig at Tottenham ;)

19 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Spursy...

blowing a 3-0 lead against Argentina that calls for

311GQ9R99FL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMIW said:

blowing a 3-0 lead against Argentina that calls for

311GQ9R99FL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On the bright side Scotland made history today!

PT - I can tell you that I enjoyed watching Scotland in 1978 and in 1990 and in 1998 was just good telly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I would lay the blame solely with Shelley Kerr. The team is 3-0 up and looking very tired. Argentina bring on 3 subs ie a third of their outfield team but Kerr eventually puts on 2 subs at 3-2. The penalty retake was a farce as was the lack of extra time but  the blame lies with our manager who displayed yet again tactical naivete.

10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The new rule on penalties is going to take time for goalkeepers to get the hang of. Strange that they're being so strict on that but seemingly not on encroachment by other players.

The referee's timekeeping at the end was bizarre to say the least.

If the powers that be want to bring in a new law (however weird it might be) that's fine but to bring it in just before a world cup without giving the keepers time to adjust is crazy.Keepers have been coached all their career how to try to save a penalty in a certain way & now they're told no you can't do it like that you have to do it like this.

As you say the encroachment law seems to just be ignored,there was a penalty that had to be retaken the other day because the keeper wasn't on her line but there were about 10 players in the box when the kick was taken,ok it ends up still being a retake but at least it's more obvious to everyone why.

The unfortunate thing is that VAR is likely to decide who wins the competition not who's playing the best football.

The intention of VAR was to eradicate clear & obvious errors but instead is being used to alter decisions that players wouldn't even complain about because they're so marginal.

The thing to remember though is not to blame the referees for this,they will be under pressure from the powers that be to implement all these decisions based on the letter of the law + the pressure of suddenly going from their own leagues to being in big games with bigger crowds & shown to a wide TV audience is enormous & something some of them probably won't have experienced in their own countries.

It is possible for VAR to improve the game but not the way it's being used at the moment.

• Like 2

England under 21 penalty save last night - allowed.

D9duvWCXsAAju0J.jpg

head of Euro SLV will be cheering against England today

Swedish-chef.jpg

New Zealand head home after conceding an injury time goal - they officially finish in the dreaded "Even Worse than Scotland" position on zero points

• Like 1

Come on Sweden.

:ph34r:

Interesting first half; both teams looking a little sloppy.  The American side is clearly better but I have the somewhat odd feeling that both teams should be grateful the situation isn't worse.  

I was hoping for a showcase match, not living up to expectations.

Will it be a game of two halves?

3 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

Goal!!!!’

Goal!!! :) 

If that second USA goal was allowed to stand according to the current rules of the game, then the offside rule has no further place in the game.  Utterly ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

If that second USA goal was allowed to stand according to the current rules of the game, then the offside rule has no further place in the game.  Utterly ridiculous.

Didn't interfere with the defender.  As the rule is written it really wasn't close.

1 hour ago, merlin said:

I was hoping for a showcase match, not living up to expectations.

Will it be a game of two halves?

Second half was a bit more even for both teams I think.

Part of the problem was for each team the result was, barring something extremely unlikely happening, essentially meaningless.  I think it says something about both teams (and how they feel about each other) that they played hard for both halves.

• Like 2

Last 16

Germany v Nigeria

Norway v Australia

TGTITW(W) v Cameroon

France v Brazil

Spain v USA!! USA! USA!

Sweden v Canada

Italy v China

Netherlands v Japan