rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

It’s 3 years today since I saw Bruce for the first time ever, at Wembley Stadium in London. I think we all know on here I’m very sentimental, but it truly is just something I’ll never forget. I remember it like it was yesterday. When Bruce walked on stage in front of me for the first time, I felt the tears in my eyes and I could feel my heart beating so fast it was like it was going to explode out of my chest. He walked over to the piano, sat down and played the first few notes.. all around me people were saying ‘what?’..‘Oh my god?’.. ‘Is it?’.. And it was.. a solo piano version of Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? 

Out of all the songs I thought Bruce would play live that night, it certainly didn’t cross my mind that it was going to be that one. It was special to say the least, with some very interesting whistling :lol:. I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. That night was perfect, and if it was the only time I ever saw Bruce, I would’ve been completely ok with that. Everything that has come after has just been an incredible dream. 

So thinking back to this special day 3 years ago, and how memorable that moment was for me, I pose the question - what was the first song you heard Bruce play live? And what are your memories of your first show? 

It’s also a year ago today I was in Asbury Park and picked up my Greetings record. Kinda fitting being that the first song I heard was from this album. Something’s telling me I should spend every Bruceaversary there and not stuck here in rainy old England!

709F1C5A-0543-4D0C-8A43-4E97D4DA3458.thumb.jpeg.483027c193c17d351a01cd86acaa8d5b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 5

Tunnel of love -  villa park - tunnel of love express tour, with that extended intro section. 

I know lots of Uk people on here were at that show. 

I was 14.   I can still recall it very clearly, even down to the jacket I was wearing! 

Great times! 

• Like 4

Born to Run. Wembley Arena 5th June 1981. What a great one to start with.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

born in the usa ... september 1988 amnesty tour in budapest

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Prove it all night, NEC, Birmingham 1981. Sad to say I remember nothing about this particular song but, as I have said many times, my life changed for the better that night.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Tunnel of Love - Lexington, KY 1988. I was about to lose my mind that I finally got to see him live. One thing I recall was the seamless two-song pack of Ain't Got You/She's the One. Also loved Dancing in the Dark. Great show!! 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Tunnel of Love on the Tunnel of Love tour. One of the two Rotterdam nights. 

• Like 3

Darkness, Munich 93.

I had to check. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Better Days, Wembley 1992. I think I'm bottom of the class thus far. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Tunnel of love -  villa park - tunnel of love express tour, with that extended intro section. 

I was 14.   I can still recall it very clearly, even down to the jacket I was wearing! 

Great times! 

Yep, me too. I was 16 and took the afternoon off school to go :D

no video screens so couldn’t see very much so my memories are what I could hear rather than see! 

• Like 3

Follow That Dream - Newcastle 11 May 81. I, like most attending had no idea what the song was, a great great show.

• Like 8

Born To Run  :wub: :wub::wub:

December 2, 1980 Rochester War Memorial 

5 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It’s also a year ago today I was in Asbury Park and picked up my Greetings record. 

And... @MadamMarie and I were there for this momentous occasion!!!!  

BTW... Every time I hear The Wish, I think of the four of us walking (we walked by Bond Street) in anticipation of you purchasing the album!! 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

12 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Better Days, Wembley 1992. I think I'm bottom of the class thus far. 

There is no ‘bottom of the class!!!’  EVERY show is somebody’s ‘first!’ 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

"Born in the USA" at Giants Stadium in 1985. 

(Actually, it was "Born in the USA" at the Hartford Civic Center in 1984, but I was outside, having been scammed out of tickets. Not my favorite memory.) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Great times! 

I was there too - just a tad older than 14... with my original Bruce bud, who sadly died 20 years ago now.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Prove it all night, NEC, Birmingham 1981. 

One day before me then.

I got The Ties That Bind

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

One day before me then.

I got The Ties That Bind

I thought I had Ties that Bind, but checked my recording and it's definitely Prove it! 

Just now, Ann Jones said:

I thought I had Ties that Bind, but checked my recording and it's definitely Prove it! 

According to published setlists, he opened the first Birmingham show with Prove It and the second one with Ties.

I must listen to the recording I have some time.

3 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

According to published setlists, he opened the first Birmingham show with Prove It and the second one with Ties.

I must listen to the recording I have some time.

That's right. He didn't even play Ties the night I was there. Memory is a funny old thing...