rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

32 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

"Born in the USA" at Giants Stadium in 1985. 

(Actually, it was "Born in the USA" at the Hartford Civic Center in 1984, but I was outside, having been scammed out of tickets. Not my favorite memory.) 

That sucks! :(

• Like 2

"My Love Will Not Let You Down", Minneapolis MN, 11/29/1999

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scott Peterson said:

(Actually, it was "Born in the USA" at the Hartford Civic Center in 1984, but I was outside, having been scammed out of tickets. Not my favorite memory.) 

Oh maaaaaaan... that’s beyond awful :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

with my original Bruce bud, who sadly died 20 years ago now.

Oh Ann... I’m so sorry.  

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It’s 3 years today since I saw Bruce for the first time ever, at Wembley Stadium in London. I think we all know on here I’m very sentimental, but it truly is just something I’ll never forget. I remember it like it was yesterday. When Bruce walked on stage in front of me for the first time, I felt the tears in my eyes and I could feel my heart beating so fast it was like it was going to explode out of my chest. He walked over to the piano, sat down and played the first few notes.. all around me people were saying ‘what?’..‘Oh my god?’.. ‘Is it?’.. And it was.. a solo piano version of Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? 

Out of all the songs I thought Bruce would play live that night, it certainly didn’t cross my mind that it was going to be that one. It was special to say the least, with some very interesting whistling :lol:. I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. That night was perfect, and if it was the only time I ever saw Bruce, I would’ve been completely ok with that. Everything that has come after has just been an incredible dream. 

So thinking back to this special day 3 years ago, and how memorable that moment was for me, I pose the question - what was the first song you heard Bruce play live? And what are your memories of your first show? 

It’s also a year ago today I was in Asbury Park and picked up my Greetings record. Kinda fitting being that the first song I heard was from this album. Something’s telling me I should spend every Bruceaversary there and not stuck here in rainy old England!

709F1C5A-0543-4D0C-8A43-4E97D4DA3458.thumb.jpeg.483027c193c17d351a01cd86acaa8d5b.jpeg

Great thread Rachel , I think you have us all   Reaching back into our minds for some great memories!!  

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Another for "The Ties That Bind" at Wembley Arena, June 1 1981. Such a great opening number:-)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

Am I the only one having a problem with @soulcrusader78 and @badlands78having the same avatar pic and similar names?

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good Rockin' Tonight.

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Good Rockin' Tonight.

MSG 78?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Follow That Dream - Newcastle 11 May 81. I, like most attending had no idea what the song was, a great great show.

Same for me, although I knew the song and wasn't surprised he sang it … but hey, when the 2nd one kicked in. Unforgettable.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

June 4th 1985.

Newcastle, England.

Born in the USA.

Most memorable thing was that the volume of noise was overwhelming. I haven’t heard anything like the volume since.

I worked a half shift at the Factory then drove down 200 mile from Scotland, then had to drive all night to get home, actually fell asleep at the wheel and almost ended up a wreck on the highway, well the M8.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

One day before me then.

I got The Ties That Bind

Me too for Ties  June 8th 1981.   I had to  look it up though.  I can definitely remember Born to Run,  The Detroit Medley, The River and I Wanna Marry You and what I was wearing! 

And changed my life.  

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Independence Day, Wembley Stadium, July 4th '85.

That would've been mine had I not been at St James' a month before, so it's "Born in the USA" for me, the Toon 4th June 1985.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old English Town said:

Born to Run. Wembley Arena 5th June 1981. What a great one to start with.

That is my dream opening song! But I’d also wanna hear it in the encores too..

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Born To Run  :wub: :wub::wub:

December 2, 1980 Rochester War Memorial 

And... @MadamMarie and I were there for this momentous occasion!!!!  

BTW... Every time I hear The Wish, I think of the four of us walking (we walked by Bond Street) in anticipation of you purchasing the album!! 

Me too!! That was such a perfect day. :) 

• Love Love Love! 2

2 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

"Born in the USA" at Giants Stadium in 1985. 

BITUSA has always to me been a mesmerising opener. I still have never heard a full band version of it live, and it’s definitely high up on my wishlist. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Good Rockin' Tonight.

That’s a cool one!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ukjohnney said:

Great thread Rachel , I think you have us all   Reaching back into our minds for some great memories!!  

Thank you! Nothing makes me happier than people sharing their fondest memories. Sometimes it’s nice to go back to the past for a little while. 

Plus, being so young, I didn’t get to see most of the tours mentioned so to me it’s incredibly fascinating. I could listen to stories of the early days all day long..

1 hour ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

Another for "The Ties That Bind" at Wembley Arena, June 1 1981. Such a great opening number:-)

Love that song! It actually reminds me of this place now, after it was used in the credits for the audiobook we all did for @tie that bind. I get goosebumps hearing it

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

Tunnel of Love at Wembley 88.

Quite a common one I would imagine.. 

A song I’ve never heard, and would really love to.  I’ve heard Tougher Than The Rest at 3 out of 4 shows though! 

28 minutes ago, JaneyJaney said:

Me too for Ties  June 8th 1981.   I had to  look it up though.  I can definitely remember Born to Run,  The Detroit Medley, The River and I Wanna Marry You and what I was wearing! 

And changed my life.  

Detroit Medley is still a dream of mine!

• Like 1