rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

Thunder Rd Hyde Park 2012..

I wish I had jumped onboard the Bruce train a lot earlier but it was a perfect opening :wub:

• Like 7

It’s interesting that so many of the opening songs, I’m yet to hear live! 

Hopefully one day. 

2 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I’ve heard Tougher Than The Rest at 3 out of 4 shows though! 

I've only heard it at 3 out of 29 shows.

Two of those in 1988!

Just now, Born To Walk said:

I've only heard it at 3 out of 29 shows.

Two of those in 1988!

29 shows... you’re so lucky, honestly! 

Had I not seen Broadway 3 times though, that wouldn’t have happened for me. I’m actually super grateful to Broadway because I got to hear songs I wasn’t sure I ever would, as well as hearing the most beautiful versions of them. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

18 minutes ago, shirlsdins said:

Thunder Rd Hyde Park 2012..

I wish I had jumped onboard the Bruce train a lot earlier but it was a perfect opening :wub:

So true about it being a perfect opening. And Bruce just looked so excited about the show 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Good Rockin' Tonight.

We may have found a winner. Not envious in the slightest :angry:.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stranger in town said:

Most memorable thing was that the volume of noise was overwhelming. I haven’t heard anything like the volume since.

Yeah I remember that in terms of the sound 4 years later in 1998 at villa park too ,  my dad took me and he he was just gobsmacked at the earth shaking volume of an 80’s stadium gig! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Somethinginthenight said:

Tunnel Of Love , Sheffield 1988 

Same here. 2nd night (Sunday). Monster setlist with Bruce coming on for multiple encores.

• Like 3

My Love Will Not Let You Down. Last show of the century. Target Center Minneapolis 1999.

• Like 3

Born In The USA at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

34 years ago today (5th June 1985) life totally changed for Mrs G99 and myself. It would be great if we were back there to see Bruce and the band.in 12 months time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Oh Ann... I’m so sorry.  

Thank you. He was such a good friend, 17 years older than me, who introduced Mr J and me to so much, although not Bruce, he just loved him as we do. I miss him every time I go to Florence and every time I see Bruce or he does something new. I remember being in the pub with him one evening many moons ago, talking about our 'desert island disc' we both picked Thunder Road and at the same time we said 'from the live album of course', just one of those memories that you hang on to. It's odd to think he would be 82 if he were still alive.

• Love Love Love! 5

39 minutes ago, EFC Refugee said:

Same here. 2nd night (Sunday). Monster setlist with Bruce coming on for multiple encores.

Same as me 2nd show .Got to the front as well .

• Like 1

I will never forget that feeling of seeing Bruce for the first time walk out onto the stage by himself to perform "The Ghost of Old Tom Joad". This was Coventry 2013. It was such a perfect opening song for seeing Springsteen for the first time, just Springsteen and an acoustic guitar.

Thanks for reminding me about the Wembley gig being three years ago. That was my third gig out of four for that 2016 River tour. I will never forget hearing "Candy's Room", "Be True" and "American Skin (41 Shots)" from that Wembley gig. Still to this day, I do not if that opening song work or not but it was a nice surprise and it certainly had a charm to it.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Geordie 99 said:

Born In The USA at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

34 years ago today (5th June 1985) life totally changed for Mrs G99 and myself. It would be great if we were back there to see Bruce and the band.in 12 months time.

Word for word the same as me...except mines was the 4th June show.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, Somethinginthenight said:

Tunnel Of Love , Sheffield 1988 

Ditto 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badlands78 said:

"My Love Will Not Let You Down", Minneapolis MN, 11/29/1999

Twinsies. ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rachelharms said:

BITUSA has always to me been a mesmerising opener. I still have never heard a full band version of it live, and it’s definitely high up on my wishlist. 

It was awesome as an opener on the VFC tour when the full band went right into it after Bruce solo National Anthem.

2 hours ago, JaneyJaney said:

So true about it being a perfect opening. And Bruce just looked so excited about the show 

If only he knew what was to happen a few hours later! 

3 hours ago, Stranger in town said:

June 4th 1985.

Newcastle, England.

Born in the USA.

Most memorable thing was that the volume of noise was overwhelming. I haven’t heard anything like the volume since.

I worked a half shift at the Factory then drove down 200 mile from Scotland, then had to drive all night to get home, actually fell asleep at the wheel and almost ended up a wreck on the highway, well the M8.

April 3rd 1985

Melbourne Showgrounds

Born In The USA

And, yes! the impact of that massive blast of the bass and drums in those opening bars. Never heard anything like it since either... how I wish I could re-live that moment.

• Like 5

Born to Run

1980-11-27 - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK CITY, NY

BORN TO RUN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / FACTORY / INDEPENDENCE DAY / JACKSON CAGE / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / THE PROMISED LAND / OUT IN THE STREET / THE PRICE YOU PAY / THE RIVER / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / HUNGRY HEART / SHERRY DARLING / FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / HERE SHE COMES WALKIN' - I WANNA MARRY YOU / GROWIN' UP / STOLEN CAR / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / POINT BLANK / THE TIES THAT BIND / RAMROD / BACKSTREETS / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / I'M A ROCKER / JUNGLELAND / DETROIT MEDLEY

Thanksgiving Day, and the band (not Bruce) are dressed in three-piece suits and ties for the occasion. "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" is dedicated to Vini Lopez and "The Price You Pay", in the full-band arrangement, to those seated behind the stage. Roy plays the piano intro before "The River". "Growin' Up" is introduced as the song that got Bruce his record deal with CBS and Bruce dedicates the song to John Hammond; he then tells a Thanksgiving version of the spaceman story in the midsection. Clarence sings the opening lines to Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee" as an introduction to "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)". Bruce sings a bit of Chubby Checker's "Let's Twist Again" as an introduction to "I'm A Rocker". "Detroit Medley" includes "I Hear A Train".

• Like 4

I struck very lucky, my debut song was the piano version of Thunder Road with just Roy accompanying, Hammersmith Odeon 24/11/75, darkened stage and Bruce picked out by a blue spotlight. Every time I hear Thunder Road, band version or otherwise, I still get goosebumps 40+ years on at the thought of that night.

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

Thunder Road - July 9, 1981   I felt like I was in heaven! :D 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1