rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

BTW... Every time I hear The Wish, I think of the four of us walking (we walked by Bond Street) in anticipation of you purchasing the album!! 

Yes!!  Rachel’s mojo that day was contagious!  

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Great thread Rachel! I too really enjoy reading the stories and bringing us all together in this great little Bruce community.:)

• Like 1

Thunder Road solo piano/harmonica Hammersmith Odeon November 24th 1975. Shivers down the spine moment!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 5

49 minutes ago, mjmal51 said:

Thunder Road solo piano/harmonica Hammersmith Odeon November 24th 1975. Shivers down the spine moment!

MJ, nice to know I wasn’t the only one on The Lake that got lucky on that night. As per my previous post, spine tingling moment from a show that took my breath away. Unlike you who’d been an earlier convert, the BTR single in September 75 was my first exposure to Bruce followed in quick succession by the album, I didn’t pick up on the first two albums till after Hammersmith so quite a lot of what was to follow that opening Thunder Road wasn’t familiar to me but that didn’t matter. The quality and power of the performance, the longest show ever at that point in the band’s career, shone through for all present to see and it’s one night I’ll never forget.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, hammersmith75 said:

MJ, nice to know I wasn’t the only one on The Lake that got lucky on that night. As per my previous post, spine tingling moment from a show that took my breath away.

I just wish there was a decent audio of the show. The 2cd bootleg I have Shit Hot & Rockin' is very poor. Just listened to TR from it to remind myself.

• Like 1

BITUSA (solo) - Manchester 2003

A performance that just just struck me that this guy was the real deal,it was as if the weight of being American at that time was something he was carrying on his shoulders.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Independence Day, Wembley Stadium, July 4th '85.

It was stunning how quiet a stadium filled with 80,000 people (all GA btw) could get for a single performer with an acoustic guitar.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

23 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Independence Day, Wembley Stadium, July 4th '85.

Me too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mjmal51 said:

Not in ‘75, and far from my first show; but in 2012 I got to hear that in Boston at Fenway.  He said (with just him and Roy on stage), “This is the way we used to do it...”  I immediately started to cry because I knew what was coming.  

So amazingly beautiful. 

(AND we got THE MEDLEY that night as well!!)

• Like 4

8th June '81 Birmingham (last show of the European leg)

The Ties That Bind.

My heart was pounding that heavy, thought my chest would explode. Sat here with lots of memories floating round.

Thanks to Ziggy for the ride.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

57 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Not in ‘75, and far from my first show; but in 2012 I got to hear that in Boston at Fenway.  He said (with just him and Roy on stage), “This is the way we used to do it...”  I immediately started to cry because I knew what was coming.  

So amazingly beautiful. 

(AND we got THE MEDLEY that night as well!!)

..... and we also got THE MEDLEY at Hammersmith2 in ‘75

THUNDER ROAD / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / LOST IN THE FLOOD / SHE'S THE ONE / BORN TO RUN / GROWIN' UP / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / PRETTY FLAMINGO / BACKSTREETS / SHA-LA-LA / JUNGLELAND / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK / DETROIT MEDLEY / FOR YOU / WHEN YOU WALK IN THE ROOM / QUARTER TO THREE / TWIST AND SHOUT / CAROL / LITTLE QUEENIE

as well as Quarter To Three which I think was also played in your Boston show in 2012. What really marks this show out as special and reflects the atmosphere in the room is the length of the encore, Sandy onwards I think, with multiple returns to stage before the final song, Little Queenie, after which the audience was politely but forcibly ushered out of the venue — they definitely didn’t want the show to end!

• Like 3

What a great question!

Better Days Stockholm Globen Arena May 15 1992. Thought at the time that I’d never get to see Springsteen because he was getting so old..

• Like 4

Better Days Nov 15 1992 Hartford CT, first with the E St Band Backstreets Aug 26, 1999 what was then know as the Fleet Center, Boston, MA, USA

8 hours ago, High As Hope said:

BITUSA (solo) - Manchester 2003

A performance that just just struck me that this guy was the real deal,it was as if the weight of being American at that time was something he was carrying on his shoulders.

Such a great day on many levels.

Met 3/4 young students from Newcastle (who were happy to share their last night's pizza) and a couple from London, in the queue.

We all managed to meet up on the barrier inside.

Happy days.

• Like 1

I Wanna Be With You - Arnhem June 20 1999

• Like 2

10th, Emirates 30th May 2008, so far back I was almost out of the stadium, the really annoying people who seemed on to be there to talk and drink, I was so excited, also my big brother was a big Arsenal fan, so special for that reason. Hearing Thunder Road for the very first time.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JackUK said:

I will never forget that feeling of seeing Bruce for the first time walk out onto the stage by himself to perform "The Ghost of Old Tom Joad". This was Coventry 2013. It was such a perfect opening song for seeing Springsteen for the first time, just Springsteen and an acoustic guitar.

Thanks for reminding me about the Wembley gig being three years ago. That was my third gig out of four for that 2016 River tour. I will never forget hearing "Candy's Room", "Be True" and "American Skin (41 Shots)" from that Wembley gig. Still to this day, I do not if that opening song work or not but it was a nice surprise and it certainly had a charm to it.  

I wish I appreciated Be True more than I did.. but hearing that, and Seeds was so cool! All I really wanted that night was Jungleland, so getting that was a dream come true. It was such a beautiful version. I maintain that the encore that night was one of his best too, I’ll never forget that Bobby Jean 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JimCT said:

Born to Run

1980-11-27 - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK CITY, NY

BORN TO RUN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / FACTORY / INDEPENDENCE DAY / JACKSON CAGE / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / THE PROMISED LAND / OUT IN THE STREET / THE PRICE YOU PAY / THE RIVER / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / HUNGRY HEART / SHERRY DARLING / FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / HERE SHE COMES WALKIN' - I WANNA MARRY YOU / GROWIN' UP / STOLEN CAR / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / POINT BLANK / THE TIES THAT BIND / RAMROD / BACKSTREETS / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / I'M A ROCKER / JUNGLELAND / DETROIT MEDLEY

Thanksgiving Day, and the band (not Bruce) are dressed in three-piece suits and ties for the occasion. "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" is dedicated to Vini Lopez and "The Price You Pay", in the full-band arrangement, to those seated behind the stage. Roy plays the piano intro before "The River". "Growin' Up" is introduced as the song that got Bruce his record deal with CBS and Bruce dedicates the song to John Hammond; he then tells a Thanksgiving version of the spaceman story in the midsection. Clarence sings the opening lines to Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee" as an introduction to "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)". Bruce sings a bit of Chubby Checker's "Let's Twist Again" as an introduction to "I'm A Rocker". "Detroit Medley" includes "I Hear A Train".

Oh the things I would do to have gone to this show! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Starting with being born :P

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Great thread Rachel! I too really enjoy reading the stories and bringing us all together in this great little Bruce community.:)

Thanks Ann! Its so interesting to hear where everyone’s journeys began! 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, jmw said:

10th, Emirates 30th May 2008, so far back I was almost out of the stadium, the really annoying people who seemed on to be there to talk and drink, I was so excited, also my big brother was a big Arsenal fan, so special for that reason. Hearing Thunder Road for the very first time.

I really wish I could’ve gone to a show at that stadium as me and my family are all Arsenal fans too. However I was only 11 in 2008 and had no funds :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Starting with being born :P

Yes quite hard to control that factor :lol:

Prove It All Night, Manchester Apollo, May 1981.

Life was never the same after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachelharms said:

The bootleg is available, worth collecting ;) 

ETA: if you cannot find it then PM me and I'll get it to you @rachelharms

• Like 1

"Trapped," probably, on the radio. Live in 1999 in Minneapolis it was "The Ties That Bind"

• Like 1