rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

My love will not let you down at Earls Court 1999.  Missed train home and ended up in a very questionable hotel thanks to my limited funds... Thought I was going to get robbed in my sleep or spooned by the roaches...

• Like 3

The Ties That Bind

• Like 3

I have three levels.

1st over all - Badlands St. Louis 1978

When I was a Glory Hunter - Born in the USA - St. Louis 1984

When my obsession started - The Ties That Bind - Columbus 2008

• Like 1

2006, the Seeger Sessions Tour at Madison Square Garden.

It was the live premiere (and debut) of American Land - to really throw things out of expectation.

• Like 1

Born in the USA.

Sydney Entertainment Centre (been knocked down now).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

My first show was Melbourne 2003.

As it was The Rising tour, I'd read enough (and seen an edited version of Barcelona that was shown on Aus TV) to know that the song The Rising was the standard opener. So that was my expectation.

However, the date of this show coincided exactly with the day the US became involved in Iraq. So the houselights went off in the arena but instead of The Rising,  Bruce came out alone and began playing what I immediately recognised as the acoustic BITUSA ( circa LINYC) arrangement. 

I'd never been a big fan of that version, but it blew me away that night. I can still visualize the moment 16 years later.

He followed up with a pounding full band version of War that made the Live box set rendition sound like New Wave 80's pop music. 

Getting Angry Bruce for the first moments of my first show was a memorable experience...

Wasn’t it grand!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

as well as Quarter To Three which I think was also played in your Boston show in 2012. 

As a matter of fact, yes it was!!  

Here’s the setlist if anyone cares to have a look... 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwim_670wdbiAhVkleAKHXlRCvUQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.setlist.fm%2Fsetlist%2Fbruce-springsteen%2F2012%2Ffenway-park-boston-ma-7bdc2a24.html&usg=AOvVaw2Dr0_InTIIWNHB07JwwYJz

On 6/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, rachelharms said:

I wish I appreciated Be True more than I did.. but hearing that, and Seeds was so cool! All I really wanted that night was Jungleland, so getting that was a dream come true. It was such a beautiful version. I maintain that the encore that night was one of his best too, I’ll never forget that Bobby Jean 

The encore was very emotional.  I do remember that Bobby Jean with Bruce and Patti both together pointing and looking out to the crowd & both seemed absorbed with taken the moment in.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JackUK said:

The encore was very emotional.  I do remember that Bobby Jean with Bruce and Patti both together pointing and looking out to the crowd & both seemed absorbed with taken the moment in.  

Yeah, that’s a moment I vividly remember too. It’s like it was as special for them as it was for us. A moment to always remember!

• Like 1

First song I saw Bruce play live was Nelson Mandela. 

First song I saw Bruce play live that he wrote was Badlands. 

Songs 1 and 2 on the 26th of January 2014...

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Seeds.

A life-changing experience...

1993-06-01 - VALLE HOVIN STADION, OSLO, NORWAY

SEEDS / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THIS HARD LAND / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN / ATLANTIC CITY / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / MANY RIVERS TO CROSS / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BRILLIANT DISGUISE / HUMAN TOUCH / THE RIVER / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / LIGHT OF DAY / HUNGRY HEART (with Jon Landau) / GLORY DAYS (with Jon Landau) / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / ROCKIN' ALL OVER THE WORLD / BOBBY JEAN / IT'S ALL RIGHT / BORN TO BE WILD (with Rick "Chainsaw" Lapointe) / GOOD TIMES - TWIST AND SHOUT (with Warren Kaye and Jon Landau)

Final formal show of the 1992-93 World Tour, and a cracking 33-song set. Warren Kaye is "Security Coordinator" for the tour according to the program and he guests on vocals during the tour's sole "Twist And Shout" (which includes a shortened version of Sam Cooke's "Good Times" as an introduction and another verse in the midsection). Jon Landau played guitar during "Hungry Heart", "Glory Days" and "Twist And Shout". Rick "Chainsaw" Lapointe is a guitar technician (roadie) and he sings and plays guitar on "Born To Be Wild" (this performance is also available as pro-shot video and circulates on the same set as the pro-shot April 11 footage from Verona). You can hear Bruce introduce him before the track. "Roll Of The Dice" includes "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love". "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played as a lead-in to "Born In The U.S.A.". First ever full version in Europe of "Born To Be Wild" and first ever performances in Norway of "Seeds", "This Hard Land", "Better Days", "Lucky Town", "Atlantic City", "57 Channels And Nothin' On", "Many Rivers To Cross", "Leap Of Faith", "Man's Job", "Roll Of The Dice", "Human Touch", "Souls Of The Departed", "My Beautiful Reward", "Working On The Highway", and "It's All Right".

• Like 2

Land of Hope and Dreams

Hannover, Germany 2013

Never thought I would hear this song as the first song in a concert; I thought of "Badlands" or something else.

• Like 3

TOL at the tour with the same name, 1988 in Basel.

I knew what to expect, the radio broadcast from Stockhol was about 2 weeks before. Man, I listened to my homemade tape almost every day until, finally, the evening came. An early start at 6.10 pm, lots of peeps still stuck in the rush hour, me and many others were lucky having used a special train that would stop right outside the "Joggeli" (St.Jakobs Stadion). Sun was setting behind the stage when the River started.. Memories...Cover me..with a good help from the "first fabric pressed DVD"  - boot from Copenhagen and this very show I owned some years later. I need to stop now, I get carried away by these memories :rolleyes:.

• Like 2

Tunnel of Love Sheffield 1988...

This was actually my first ever Live concert.....and I ve seen about 500 since, and got tinnitus in my left ear as a result !!!!!

Its not fair really on the other hundreds of artists I have seen since,  to start with Bruce....... I started with the best .......

The next cnocert was a month or so later a certain fellow called Michael Jackson :D:D:D

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, mjmal51 said:

Thunder Road solo piano/harmonica Hammersmith Odeon November 24th 1975. Shivers down the spine moment!

Stop showing off!!!! :D   Lucky lucky you!!!!

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, mjmal51 said:

Thunder Road solo piano/harmonica Hammersmith Odeon November 24th 1975. Shivers down the spine moment!

Wow!

11 minutes ago, davemunday said:

We need us a last song you heard Bruce play live thread :)

That can be arranged! :D

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, rachelharms said:

That can be arranged! :D

Ours is the same!! :wub:

Born in the USA - Melbourne, April 3,1985. Show 1 at the showgrounds. I CAN STILL feel that drum beat thru my chest. After 10 years of fandom, salivating at the live show reviews through the years, seeing in the channel 7 news how the ticket sales (via TELEPHONE in those days!) had crashed Washington DCs ohone systems INCL the White House such was the demand!, seeing Molly interview BEAMING adults and kids as they came out at intermission during the Sydney show at their Entertainment Centre, live on Ray Martin night show - cutting to the intro to Cover Me as the second half of the show started - I WAS READY!

But in truth, NOTHING could have prepared me fully for the night. I have always explained to friends that Bruce live was unlike anyone else and my best way to describe it was like being in the worlds best roller coaster. You started the show as other artists finish theirs - at a 'peak' from which you drop, then somehow, all the way through the show, you get pushed to yet higher peaks, dropping again, pushed yet higher, dropping and rising all night, to finish at THE peak, at a level that other artists could only aspire to. It's still how I feel....

• Like 3