rachelharms

What was the first song you heard Bruce play live?

Badlands. 

Hershey, PA 5/15/09, WOAD Tour

First song I ever heard anyone play live, actually. Begged my dad to take me as he had just gotten me into Bruce and I was only 12 at the time. That day and that first song quite literally changed my life.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

'Badlands', Rock In Rio Lisboa 2016. What can I say? Couldn't ask for a better opener! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1651997 said:

'Badlands', Rock In Rio Lisboa 2016. What can I say? Couldn't ask for a better opener! 

Yeah, I always love when I’m there for a Badlands opener!  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, Bosstralian said:

I'd never been a big fan of that version, but it blew me away that night. I can still visualize the moment 16 years later.

He followed up with a pounding full band version of War that made the Live box set rendition sound like New Wave 80's pop music. 

Getting Angry Bruce for the first moments of my first show was a memorable experience...

Love this post, first I'm with you don't like that version much either. But I also get pissed Bruce can make something special happen, and it sounds like it happened. I can dig how this is been with you 16 years. Powerful!!!!! 

Badlands, Berlin 1988 (Waldbühne in West-Berlin, the best outdoor arena in the world, not Radrennbahn Weißensee three days earlier, the biggest Bruce concert ever) 

Back then I only knew the BITUSA Album and Live 1975-85. I had heard, that he was a great live act, so I spent the 36 DeutschMarks for the ticket. 

Life changing... 

Thank you Rachel for this thread

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BarefootMan said:

Badlands, Berlin 1988 (Waldbühne in West-Berlin, the best outdoor arena in the world.

I was at a charity auction in Sydney about 4 weeks ago for Ovarian Cancer. A tattered bootleg copy of that concert raised $200 Aus, which is about 125 Euro.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that I had a digital copy and the bootleg was all but worthless.

I was speaking to the auctioneer afterwards and he knew it was worth bugger all. 

Night. 

My first Bruce concert was 4/17/1976 at the University of Rochester in New York. I don't generally remember the dates of shows I went to, but I remember this one because it was the day after my 19th birthday. 

The show opened with Night, but the highlight for me was an absolutely epic version of It's My Life. There was a long intro to It's My Life where he talked about  his father.  I hated my parents and that version of It's My Life moved me like no music had  ever moved me before. My parents wanted me to go to a Broadway show with them that night for my birthday but I went to Rochester to see Bruce instead, and they were really mad at me. I didn't care because It's My Life And I'll Do What I Want (don't push me.)  I remember that the show they wanted to go to was Pacific Overtures.  Yeah, I'll take Bruce over that any day. 

It was a very small venue and  I was able to  move down to the stage and get very close. Those were the days when nobody cared about things like that. 

Bruce was young and raw and passionate back then and so was I. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

24 minutes ago, judyg said:

Night. 

My first Bruce concert was 4/17/1976 at the University of Rochester in New York. I don't generally remember the dates of shows I went to, but I remember this one because it was the day after my 19th birthday. 

The show opened with Night, but the highlight for me was an absolutely epic version of It's My Life. There was a long intro to It's My Life where he talked about  his father.  I hated my parents and that version of It's My Life moved me like no music had  ever moved me before. My parents wanted me to go to a Broadway show with them that night for my birthday but I went to Rochester to see Bruce instead, and they were really mad at me. I didn't care because It's My Life And I'll Do What I Want (don't push me.)  I remember that the show they wanted to go to was Pacific Overtures.  Yeah, I'll take Bruce over that any day. 

It was a very small venue and  I was able to  move down to the stage and get very close. Those were the days when nobody cared about things like that. 

Great post Judy. I can picture it all.

• Like 1

Saturday June 25, 1988 - Tunnel of Love.

My dad picked me up from my Saturday job and said, "I've got one ticket here for you to see Bruce tonight"!

He brought me a change of clothes and drove me to Wembley...  
I jumped out the car... followed the crowds... through the turnstiles... grabbed three beers and walked out onto the pitch!

This is when I first met Bruce and the band :)))  but unknown to me and by shear fluke I would meet him again with my family in 2011! 

In General: London Calling (Live at Hyde Park DVD)

In Person: Meet Me In The City Tonight (2/12/16 - Wells Fargo Center, Philly)

Shaheen Shah Afridi

6 hours ago, judyg said:

Night. 

Winner.

Honorable mention to Bosstralian for BITUSA/War.  I was there and it was unbelievable Not my first though

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Idiot'sDelight said:

This may come as a shock but

Reveal hidden contents

Idiot's Delight was the first song I heard him play live.

Tell us more.

Born in the USA, Roundhay Park, Leeds, 1985. We lived in Headingley, which was about 40 minutes walk from the park, so decided to go on foot.

Just remember the anticipation, as we got nearer, and the crowds grew bigger. Was the first concert I'd ever been to... what a way to start!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 2:27 AM, judyg said:

Night. 

That version of It's My Life (the one that sticks in my head is 11/4/76 at the Palladium - from boots, sadly I was not there in person :() is so raw and powerful. Given the era and the size of the venues, I can almost see the haze of cigarette smoke in the air, and smell the sweat-soaked air.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

'Prove It'  

at the   New Bingley Hall on 20 May 1981

20th row centre  or thereabouts

"Meet Me in the City", so of course I knew it was coming -- but fuck, what a great one to be first! Confined to that tour so it ties in nicely with the knowledge of when I was seeing him -- and, I mean, it's a song about... meeting him in the city, which I was doing!