Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

Champions League/Europa League 2020

Tough draw for City in the year that they have to win the Champions League, or at least make it to the final so they can prove that they're able to do that and go from there. Since the oil money came in they have done fuck all in Europe, if they want to be remembered as a great team they have to change that.

Premier League champions Man City beat  La Liga's Real Madrid in Madrid.

A deserved half time lead in the tie

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Europa League draw - Inter must be favourites given they have so many TGLITW players in their team - i presume all the Man U players are eligible to play against Man U if drawn together ina later round?

Istanbul Basaksehir v Copenhagen

Olympiakos v Wolves

Rangers v Bayer Leverkusen

Wolfsburg v Shakhtar Donetsk

Inter Milan v Getafe

Sevilla v Roma

Eintracht Frankfurt or RB Salzburg v Basel

LASK v Manchester United

update it is Eintract Frankfurt v Basel

apparently their game against salzburg was postponed due to a hurricane and played today

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

Europa League draw - Inter must be favourites given they have so many TGLITW players in their team - i presume all the Man U players are eligible to play against Man U if drawn together ina later round?

Istanbul Basaksehir v Copenhagen

Olympiakos v Wolves

Rangers v Bayer Leverkusen

Wolfsburg v Shakhtar Donetsk

Inter Milan v Getafe

Sevilla v Roma

Eintracht Frankfurt or RB Salzburg v Basel

LASK v Manchester United

I'm on holiday in Rome at the time of these ties.  So I had a bit of a concern that the draw might see Glasgow Rangers in town v Roma.  As if Coronavirus wasn't enough of an issue.  Thankfully, the draw has averted that prospect (of Rangers in the Vatican City I mean, not Coronavirus).

42 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

I'm on holiday in Rome at the time of these ties.  So I had a bit of a concern that the draw might see Glasgow Rangers in town v Roma.  As if Coronavirus wasn't enough of an issue.  Thankfully, the draw has averted that prospect (of Rangers in the Vatican City I mean, not Coronavirus).

That would've been a Dante-esque experience of epic proportions.

I'm no lover of Leverkusen, but I hope they take care of those cloven-hooved troglodytes.

• Like 1

So..the team that is 6th in the actual and real GLITW beat the leaders (by 25pts mind you) and champions elect of the pretend GLITW* home and away...

MMMMMmmmmmm..

Marca reports that UEFA are about to call off all CL and EL matches. 

Just now, LeoGetz said:

Marca reports that UEFA are about to call off all CL and EL matches. 

should cancel euro2020 too what is the point of not cancelling that as it is the silly tournament spread over multiple countries 

European leagues have committed to ending all domestic seasons by June 30, according to a statement released by UEFA.

It is hoped that the current situation improves and resuming playing will be appropriate and prudent enough, with competitions finishing exactly a month after the original end date of May 30.

The statement goes on to say there may be 'possible limitations or drops of current exclusive calendar slots, potentially resulting in the scheduling of domestic league matches in mid-week and scheduling of UEFA club competitions matches on weekends.'

It also mentions possible adaptations of the 2020/21 Champions League and Europa League qualifying rounds which ordinarily begin in July for some teams

Champions league and Europa league cups both suspended indefinitely.

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

Champions league and Europa league cups both suspended indefinitely.

Hello Roy, I hope all is good with you. But with Wimbledon already being cancelled, I can't see how football will continue this year. Matter as fact I don't see 2020-2021 season getting started on time or at all. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hello Roy, I hope all is good with you. But with Wimbledon already being cancelled, I can't see how football will continue this year. Matter as fact I don't see 2020-2021 season getting started on time or at all. 

Thanks, hope you and your family are well too.

I reckon this season will be finished no matter how long it takes. Even if it goes as far as August or September.

Next season will start late, very late. With the FA Cup and League Cup being sacrificed to allow two matches per week to catch up.

European tournaments may revert to old fashion knock out competitions for one season ? 

International friendly games gladly dumped ( mid season break also dumped) until the domestic season is over giving them a month or so to prepare for the European Championships ? 

Just my thoughts btw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Thanks, hope you and your family are well too.

I reckon this season will be finished no matter how long it takes. Even if it goes as far as August or September.

Next season will start late, very late. With the FA Cup and League Cup being sacrificed to allow two matches per week to catch up.

European tournaments may revert to old fashion knock out competitions for one season ? 

International friendly games gladly dumped ( mid season break also dumped) until the domestic season is over giving them a month or so to prepare for the European Championships ? 

Just my thoughts btw

The game at the top level is heading for serious burn out. 
92 premier league games left over from last season, fa cup quarter finals, semis and final. CL and EL quarters, semi and final by August. Then 760 PL matches (even if both domestic cups scrapped) all need to be completed by next May. Then Euro 2021 in June, then another PL season, then the World Cup starting straight after that. 

and the more glamorous europa league for Man U fans

Europa League schedule

5 AugustLast 16

6 AugustLast 16

10 AugustQuarter-final

11 AugustQuarter-final

16 AugustSemi-final

17 AugustSemi-final

21 AugustFinal

But will we be able to watch without paying for it? 

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Nice to see such a good solid Scottish trait alive and well in the good old US of A.

6 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Nice to see such a good solid Scottish trait alive and well in the good old US of A.

“Free is better than cheap.” - old NYC saying ;)

• Like 1

Champions League

Full draw

All quarter-finals to take place from 12-15 August. Remaining last-16 fixtures on 7-8 August.

1) Real Madrid or Manchester City v Lyon or Juventus

2) RB Leipzig v Atletico Madrid

3) Napoli or Barcelona v Chelsea or Bayern Munich

4) Atalanta v Paris St-Germain

Last-16 ties to finish (first-leg score): Bayern Munich v Chelsea (3-0); Barcelona v Napoli (1-1); Manchester City v Real Madrid (2-1); Juventus v Lyon (0-1)