Greasy Lake Community

Champions League/Europa League 2020

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it more accurate to say that the best team in the world, at least based on current form (I'd love to watch a winner-take-all game between Bayern and Liverpool, wouldn't you? Bayern might be 60

Yes, Super Cup twice (winning one) plus 4 Champions League finals (winning two)  Plus one European Cup Winners Cup Final (won)  plus one Europa League final (won) 

Premier League champions Man City beat  La Liga's Real Madrid in Madrid. A deserved half time lead in the tie        

9 hours ago, AMIW said:

God Barcelona were awful.. that was some spanking for the second best team in dr oboogie best league :D

La Liga has gone backwards in the last 4/5 years, without doubt the best league in the world right now is The Bundesliga.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, AMIW said:

God Barcelona were awful.. that was some spanking for the second best team in dr oboogie best league :D

I'm tempted to say that a demolition job and total rebuild is in order.  The problem is I'm not sure what they rebuild with. 

And then there is the Messi problem.  Barcelona is a dumpster fire from the front office to the locker room and I'm having trouble seeing him hanging around to spend his last three odd years or so working on a reclamation project.  But he's on an $80M/year contract and would obviously have to be the feature player where ever he lands so it won't be simple to off load him even if Barce had the guts to shop him (I can't imagine the fans would approve). 

I keep seeing speculation about a reunion with Guardiola but I'm not convinced it would be easy to integrate him into the team; significant changes to style and probably players would be in order IMO.  I don't watch enough Italian football to have much more than a vague guess but maybe Inter Milan?  They can win something now and with a casual look it seems like a reasonable stylistic fit.  

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

A champions league semifinal without any teams from thr three best leagues in the world :o

has that happened before? Answer I think 1990-1991 European cup

I seem to recall that was an eye-bleeder of a final.

Matched/paralleled a few years earlier when Steau won it......87 was that?

20 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

One British team left in Europe for 24 hours at least. 

Man Utd can't win nothing because for the past 13 years Man utd have been taking saudi money, the premier league just won't allow that.

14 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

La Liga has gone backwards in the last 4/5 years, without doubt the best league in the world right now is The Bundesliga.

8 seasons in a row Bayern Munich have won their "competitive" league

At least La Liga either Barcelona or Real Madrid won it 

We all know you and the brown eyed boy watch the English Premier league, keep on watching :D

3 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I seem to recall that was an eye-bleeder of a final.

Matched/paralleled a few years earlier when Steau won it......87 was that?

I stopped at 1991 as the last semi final without a team from England, Spain or Italy, but going back to the start in 1955 that seems like the only time this happened.

91 was indeed a dour game Belgrade beat marseille on penalties

88 was the year psv won on penalties in a dour game over benfica

steaus win was in 86 in another dour game on penalties over Barcelona

they all kind of blur after a while so you could be thinking of any of those game and a few others

bustop will probably remember the 2003 final at old trafford that was awful viewing,  Bruce played at the cricket ground next door the next day I think I watched the game somewhere 

9 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Man Utd can't win nothing because for the past 13 years Man utd have been taking saudi money, the premier league just won't allow that.

Good to see you’re not bitter. When does Pochettino start at St James’s Park? 

22 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

I'm tempted to say that a demolition job and total rebuild is in order.  The problem is I'm not sure what they rebuild with. 

And then there is the Messi problem.  Barcelona is a dumpster fire from the front office to the locker room and I'm having trouble seeing him hanging around to spend his last three odd years or so working on a reclamation project.  But he's on an $80M/year contract and would obviously have to be the feature player where ever he lands so it won't be simple to off load him even if Barce had the guts to shop him (I can't imagine the fans would approve). 

I keep seeing speculation about a reunion with Guardiola but I'm not convinced it would be easy to integrate him into the team; significant changes to style and probably players would be in order IMO.  I don't watch enough Italian football to have much more than a vague guess but maybe Inter Milan?  They can win something now and with a casual look it seems like a reasonable stylistic fit.  

Sorry, but Messi is not good enough to play in TGLITW*...only the very best accepted to play there.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

You are not REALLY of the opinion that Bundesliga is the best? Have you watched all those numbing matches in the lower ranks? And Bayern dominating the way it does doesn't do much for excitement - unless you're a fan...

At least the Premiere League has some variety.

• Like 3
On 8/15/2020 at 4:04 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

I think it more accurate to say that the best team in the world, at least based on current form (I'd love to watch a winner-take-all game between Bayern and Liverpool, wouldn't you? Bayern might be 60/40 to win, but not more than that, I think) plays in the Bundesliga. 

The problem that I see is that the Italian, French, German, and Spanish leagues are just not very deep in quality. In that regard the EPL does seem to have more depth.

• Like 4
On 8/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, newcastle roy said:

8 seasons in a row Bayern Munich have won their "competitive" league

At least La Liga either Barcelona or Real Madrid won it 

We all know you and the brown eyed boy watch the English Premier league, keep on watching :D

It really is such a shame that "La Liga only has two teams".:rolleyes:

this deserves its own reply

An honourable mention goes to Inter's third-choice Tommaso Berni, 37, who has not played a competitive game since 2012 (although he has been sent off twice this season from the bench). He was at Wimbledon from 2001 to 2003 without playing a game.