Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

Around the world in 8 Springsteens

16 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture.JPG

That is as funny as it is weird.

Here in Canada I'm regularly blocked from a variety of content (particularly Comedy Central/anything NBC-related) but the idea of a BBC subsidiary allowing Canadians to view it but not an Englishman is bonkers.

27 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture.JPG

are you sure its not just blocked in York???

Not blocked down here.

Glad to see Paul Kelly get a nod for Australia. He is a great storyteller, and genuinely the most like Springsteen we have down here. As mentioned on another thread, Tucson Train has many elements of the Paul Kelly song 'To her door'. The last 3 visits, Bruce has played some local songs in homage to local bands. I would have loved to see him punch out a "Deeper Water", "Everythings turning to white", 'Darling it hurts' 'Careless' or 'Dumb Things'. He could pull those off with the ESB.

Jimmy Barnes shouldn't be anywhere near that list. Good singer, but the songs that contain Bruce sentiments where written by others. Cold Chisel were sensational though "Khe Sahn' and "Flame Trees' were written by Don Walker.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Not blocked down here.

Glad to see Paul Kelly get a nod for Australia. He is a great storyteller, and genuinely the most like Springsteen we have down here. As mentioned on another thread, Tucson Train has many elements of the Paul Kelly song 'To her door'. The last 3 visits, Bruce has played some local songs in homage to local bands. I would have loved to see him punch out a "Deeper Water", "Everythings turning to white", 'Darling it hurts' 'Careless' or 'Dumb Things'. He could pull those off with the ESB.

Jimmy Barnes shouldn't be anywhere near that list. Good singer, but the songs that contain Bruce sentiments where written by others. Cold Chisel were sensational though "Khe Sahn' and "Flame Trees' were written by Don Walker.

Nailed it KG. Paul Kelly’s catalogue has the same amazing diversity and genre-hopping surprises as Bruce’s, not to mention the consistent brilliance of his lyrics and musical partnerships. National treasure. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture.JPG

FFS 

I actually like the Chinese guy, Cui Jian :P

Chuffed to see them mention Johnny Clegg, who is my absolute hero.  I may have only seen Bruce 3 times but I've seen Johnny on stage more times than I genuinely can remember, from when I was 10 years old to 2017, when he played his final arena show in Joburg. Still the greatest live performer I ever got to see and experience.

And I have to nod agreement to Paul Kelly. I was fortunate to be introduced to him about 15 years ago by an Australian friend and he is now a staple of my musical diet. How to Make Gravy is the greatest Christmas song ever written, IMO.

Sorry, had to take the opportunity to post this pic... Myself in a daze, standing between Johnny and Sipho... the only way I can try and make you understand the significance, is perhaps to say imagine that was Bruce and Clarence...

033.JPG

• Like 3