Sign in to follow this  
newcastle roy

The Official 2019/20 Premier League thread

27 minutes ago, Perisic said:

I've seen some Bundesliga games but those games without a crowd are hard to watch if you're not a fan of one of the teams. Weirdest Merseyside derby ever but I'll take it!

I just don't get this. I've watched many games without crowds over the years. Newcastle United reserves, Hebburn Town, the Heed and dozens of schoolboy football

In fact some of the most enjoyable games I've watched has been when less than a hundred people were there.

Maybe it's because...and i mean no offence, you've only watched football on the telly ?

I've watched lots of the Bundesliga games since it restarted, i've enjoyed every single one, The crowd makes it's better but doesn't spoil it for me. 

No offence taken mate, I actually have two season tickets, one at Bruges and one at local team in the Belgian second division so I go to games every weekend. Doesn't bother me at all when I'm in a stadium in the second division and there aren't many fans, like you said those are sometimes more fun than the games at the highest level, just going to the game with some friends and having a couple of beers, I miss that a lot. But watching games without a crowd on the tv just doesn't work for me. Feels like it's missing something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perisic said:

No offence taken mate, I actually have two season tickets, one at Bruges and one at local team in the Belgian second division so I go to games every weekend. Doesn't bother me at all when I'm in a stadium in the second division and there aren't many fans, like you said those are sometimes more fun than the games at the highest level, just going to the game with some friends and having a couple of beers, I miss that a lot. But watching games without a crowd on the tv just doesn't work for me. Feels like it's missing something.

If I'm honest, most of the games I watch on TV, especially the Premier League games, I turn the volume down and have The Boss on. Some of the commentators and pundits..especially michael fucking owen just do my fucking head in.

The atmosphere at the Premier league games are really crap, so i don't miss that at all. Although I do love the football.

The German league is a league I'm a great fan of, they have it spot on with crowds ticket prices and most owners

Watching the games with no crowds is most certainly not as good but after weeks and weeks of fuck all I'll gladly take it

I never knew your team was Bruges, i thought you were a Liverpool fan.

Maybe when this virus has been killed i could come over and see Bruges play  ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

If I'm honest, most of the games I watch on TV, especially the Premier League games, I turn the volume down and have The Boss on. Some of the commentators and pundits..especially michael fucking owen just do my fucking head in.

The atmosphere at the Premier league games are really crap, so i don't miss that at all. Although I do love the football.

The German league is a league I'm a great fan of, they have it spot on with crowds ticket prices and most owners

Watching the games with no crowds is most certainly not as good but after weeks and weeks of fuck all I'll gladly take it

I never knew your team was Bruges, i thought you were a Liverpool fan.

Maybe when this virus has been killed i could come over and see Bruges play  ? 

You should if you ever get the chance but I’d wait until they build a new stadium because the current one is a shithole! We’ve been trying to build a new stadium for about a decade now but permits etc always causes delays. Recently we’ve had some good news and we should start building the new one soon so fingers crossed because honestly our current stadium smells like a sewer, if it rains the water is coming down the walls when you’re inside etc, just a terrible stadium. A couple of years ago a player was close to signing for us but when he saw the stadium he left! That’s how bad it is. That’s a big problem over here, a lot of stadiums are like that.

Regarding Bruges, after winning the league in ‘05 we’ve had about a decade of terrible results, management that didn’t care (you’re familiar with that I bet), a player died in a car crash, everything that could go wrong went wrong. I remember the first game after that player passed away, it was the strangest game I’ve ever been to, 25k people and you could hear a pin drop. But it’s a lot better now, 3 league titles and 2 times runners up in the last 5 years, 3 CL group stages in 5 years and qualified for the next one which is massive for a Belgian team because of all the money you get, we’ve got great management now etc. So all good now. Football is highs and lows and we’re on a high right now. Don’t think I’ve mentioned it here because let’s be honest, nobody cares about the Belgian league lol, we even managed to install a playoff system here. It’s really something else and not in a good way.

Anyway so I grew up with Belgian football, games from other leagues were barely on the tv back then, but I got into Liverpool about 20 years ago by watching MOTD and their European games which were televised, this made me find out that there was a whole new world of football outside of this Belgian league which honestly is… quite crap compared to the PL. If you watch a PL game and then a Belgian game the difference is just insane. But anway I got into Liverpool more and more over the years, been at Anfield twice – both losses lol go figure– haven’t been there since Klopp took over though. Planning to do something about that but the timing never worked out the last couple of years. Btw when I go to a Bruges game I often go by train and sometimes there’s a guy on there who also has a season ticket and he regularly travels to Newcastle games! He got into Newcastle because of Philippe Albert a long time ago, he fell in love with the club and kept going back. It’s something you see quite often here in Belgium, fans of Belgian teams that are drawn to other leagues and especially the PL, because the quality is so much better and also because the last decade or so there have been a lot of good Belgian players in the PL. It's cool to see those players in the PL, I remember that De Bruyne absolutely destroyed us when he played for Genk, just so much class and you could just tell that he was gonna be a star player. I think that was the best individual performance I've ever seen in person and he was just a kid back then. But aside from supporting a Belgian team a lot of my friends support English teams but we do tend to stick to the big teams now that I think about it lol. Guess that’s because they were the ones that got shown on tv when we were growing up. We often go to the Irish pub over here, on gamedays it’s packed with PL fans which is a lot of fun.

So yeah for me having a couple of beers with friends and watching the game together is a big part of football, maybe even the most important part and that’s something that disappeared completely the last couple of months. Now that I think about it maybe that’s why I don’t enjoy games these days. But they’ll be back soon I’m sure and I bet a lot of people will enjoy it even more.

If you end up going to a game in Bruges let me know, aside from the games against Anderlecht tickets aren't a problem over here, we do have a lot of sold out games but they never sell out instantly. I've seen some English people at games, mainly Birmingham fans after we played them in the Europa League about 10 years ago, I think that was the only time since God knows when that they got to play in Europe and the fans enjoyed it a lot so some of them come back sometimes. I've seen some Leicester fans around too after playing them in the CL group stages. Funny how that goes sometimes.

• Like 1

TGLITW press conferences are back first up was Chris Wilder manager of @Patched Tube beloved sheffield United

• Like 1

mikel arteta says he intends to win against Man City - Come on you gooners!!!

It is after midnight which means

9A95D3F2-88BB-4621-B90F-CF1F561B33C7.jpeg

It is the night before Christmas on I95 and Rebecca, Kyle and the two robbies are back tomorrow

E3B0AE0D-37A9-4B7C-AB26-D3FB70373167.jpeg

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

It is the night before Christmas on I95 and Rebecca, Kyle and the two robbies are back tomorrow

E3B0AE0D-37A9-4B7C-AB26-D3FB70373167.jpeg

Well, Rebecca can climb down my chimney with presents any time.:wub:

Having thought I couldn't care less, I am oddly excited, not that I want to see Villa relegated you understand.;)

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, whispered secret said:

Having thought I couldn't care less, I am oddly excited, not that I want to see Villa relegated you understand.;)

The good news for Villa is that they've had time to regroup from whatever bad run of form they were on before all this(though so have the others around them),it's like starting a new season although not as usual,they've had a couple of months to prepare for the restart but in a different way to normal so it'll be interesting to see what happens,I've certainly still in the couldn't care less category,I was surprised given everything that there would be a mid June restart then the National Leagues went then League 2 then League 1,it just shows that it's all about the money now,pretty much nothing else matters.

After 100 days in the wilderness footie is back I am as excited as the first night of a Bruce tour....

1 minute ago, AMIW said:

After 100 days in the wilderness footie is back I am as excited as the first night of a Bruce tour....

On one level I know their is going to be some weird results, some really poor play, and for most players and teams it's a matter of just getting through this b/c it doesn't matter all that much but... I missed football.  A lot.

welcome back TGLITW i have missed you

@perisic did you notice sheffield united's left back Jack RObinson - this is his first appearance in TGLITW in 9 years! he was once Liverpool's youngest ever player to appear in TGLITW

• Like 1

wtf - did they switch off goal line technology and forget to turn on

the ball is clearly miles over the line but teh buzzer did not go off

nbc reproting that refs watch did vibrate during half time 10 minutes after the incident.

42 minutes ago, AMIW said:

nbc reproting that refs watch did vibrate during half time 10 minutes after the incident.

Maybe the disinfectant on the ball renders it invisible, a bit like grey Man Utd shirts.

image.png.6dc16367bbfea9dd84612ea944fcb4fb.png

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

wtf - did they switch off goal line technology and forget to turn on

the ball is clearly miles over the line but teh buzzer did not go off

And where were the VAR crew? 

The could be the difference between Villa staying up, or not, and between SHU getting Europe, or not.