Sign in to follow this  
Paolo's Circus Story

Review: Bruce Springsteen's Western Stars

Nice review considering, ahem, you haven't actually heard it yet due to it not being released until tomorrow ^_^

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Nice review considering, ahem, you haven't actually heard it yet due to it not being released until tomorrow ^_^

Oh, yeah, should've said these are all just pre-thoughts. 

A preview, if you will. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Yes, nice review, and very in-depth.

I need to hear the CD when it arrives, there's so much I didn't hear on just the one listen today.

• Thanks 1

I'm so confused! I thought it was released tomorrow, and I came online to join the pre-hype -- but now people are already discussing it? What's the deal!

I want to listen when it officially releases... but... a hot-off-the-presses Paolo review is so tempting...

(also hi, Lakers! haven't been here in some time!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

I'm so confused! I thought it was released tomorrow, and I came online to join the pre-hype -- but now people are already discussing it? What's the deal!

I want to listen when it officially releases... but... a hot-off-the-presses Paolo review is so tempting...

(also hi, Lakers! haven't been here in some time!)

I also have no idea why this seemed to be released in the States a day before. There was, like, no prior comments suggesting this and given how locked down the release date of The Book was, it did surprise me that this album circulated before June 14th.

Glad to see you back on here mate and hopefully you enjoy(ed) the album and (more importantly ;)) the review! 

I'm really contemplating reviewing every other Springsteen studio album after this. 

Are my extended thoughts on them something any of you guys would be interested in?

• Like 1

Thanks, Paolo, nice ready! I may be alone in thinking this, but the way the first two lines in every verse of Hitch Hikin' are sung really reminds me of Nirvana's In Bloom ("he's the one who likes all our pretty songs...").

• Like 1

I'll just blatantly post my review after first listen here too, and we can compare our opinions or something:

It's an okay album, with 5 really good songs, 2 pretty good songs, 1 average song and 5 songs that I don't really care for that much so far. Overall I do like that the album sounds so cinematic.
The 5 songs I enjoy the least all share that cinematic quality and while they're good at creating an atmosphere (perfect as background music) they're pretty boring to me as songs. They're just not my type of music I guess. Too many maj7 chords for my taste.
A small detail that kinda irked me on first listen: How the verses of Chasin' wild horses start with the same melody as the verses in Your own worst enemy.

The 5 really good songs (no ranking except for the first song which is the best on the album):

Tucson train
Sleepy Joe's Café
Somewhere north of Nashville
Moonlight motel
Stones

The 2 pretty good songs (ranked):

There goes my miracle
Chasin' wild horses

The average song:

Hitch hikin'

The songs I don't really care for (no ranking):

The Wayfarer
Western stars
Drive fast (The Stuntman)
Sundown
Hello sunshine

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Thanks, Paolo, nice ready! I may be alone in thinking this, but the way the first two lines in every verse of Hitch Hikin' are sung really reminds me of Nirvana's In Bloom ("he's the one who likes all our pretty songs...").

They are quite similar aren't they 

9 hours ago, Ozboss1999 said:

It's a very well written review (as always), but I reckon you have seriously underrated the album.

Thanks, and you might end up being right if I'm to review Working on a DreamHuman Touch and that. I doubt the ratings will be too different and that may cause... chaos. 

• Like 1