NoSurrender81

TRACKS 2 possible for Xmas release

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

And I'm off to read........

image.png.b8a4c955dd4212a071640baa8a3439aa.png

From page 137: ‘...but even a gargantuan, super massive black hole sitting at the centre of a galaxy would reject a certain 2014 release from its event horizon.’

;)

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lampi said:

Tracks also had the not-so-great (with a few notable exceptions) Disc 4.

That disc really is rather bad. The only redeeming songs are the last 2 imho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Frank said:

Beware: last time Tracks II was rumored, we got High Hopes instead... 

And everyone called it Tracks 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J said:

That disc really is rather bad. The only redeeming songs are the last 2 imho. 

And Seven Angels.

Part Man Part Monkey and When The Lights Go Out are good songs but the studio versions are rather tame versions compared to the 1988 live versions and the Christic Institute versions, respectively.

Back In Your Arms is a fantastic song which deserved better than to be tucked away at the end of Tracks Disc 4 (well it is at the end of Disc 4 for chronological reasons but still).

Difficult to believe My Best Was Never Good Enough is on the Joad album but Brothers Under The Bridge is not; the fact Brothers was a regular during the Joad Tour maybe confirms Bruce himself regretted that decision too.

Some other songs on Disc 4 sound like they never completely got past the demo stage, like they were never proper finished songs. The 1998 re-recording of Gave It A Name (because the mastertape of the original recording from the Human Touch sessions was lost) just sounds lazy and uninspired.

And for some strange reasons (not space reasons) 30 Days Out is not on it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracks 4 has one of my favourite Bruce songs: the criminally under-appreciated Loose Change.
Surely there's someone who likes it, besides me and Daisey?

  • Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Tracks 4 has one of my favourite Bruce songs: the criminally under-appreciated Loose Change.
Surely there's someone who likes it, besides me and Daisey?

Oooh yeah... I like Loose Change too. I thought that was on disc 3.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

And Seven Angels.

Part Man Part Monkey and When The Lights Go Out are good songs but the studio versions are rather tame versions compared to the 1988 live versions and the Christic Institute versions, respectively.

Back In Your Arms is a fantastic song which deserved better than to be tucked away at the end of Tracks Disc 4 (well it is at the end of Disc 4 for chronological reasons but still).

Difficult to believe My Best Was Never Good Enough is on the Joad album but Brothers Under The Bridge is not; the fact Brothers was a regular during the Joad Tour maybe confirms Bruce himself regretted that decision too.

Some other songs on Disc 4 sound like they never completely got past the demo stage, like they were never proper finished songs. The 1998 re-recording of Gave It A Name (because the mastertape of the original recording from the Human Touch sessions was lost) just sounds lazy and uninspired.

And for some strange reasons (not space reasons) 30 Days Out is not on it.

Joad would be the perfect album if it finished with Brothers instead My Best... Especially with that last part where he doesn't sing the last line, it would have been such an amazing end of album song. Biggest missed opportunity of his career... Or up there anyway. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J said:

Joad would be the perfect album if it finished with Brothers instead My Best... Especially with that last part where he doesn't sing the last line, it would have been such an amazing end of album song. Biggest missed opportunity of his career... Or up there anyway. 

Maybe so, but as we all know Bruce likes to throw in a song which is out of step with the rest of the album and he did this again with My Best was never good enough which I thought was quite a funny song. Still think TGOTJ is one of Bruce's masterpiece albums.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it is not one song or the other, but as My Best...is a rather short song, both My Best...and Brothers could have been on the album.

Like Two For The Road could have been on Tunnel Of Love as an extra song (as album closer or between When You're Alone and Valentine's Day; no other place where Two For The Road could fit on Bruce Springsteen's best sequenced album).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Maybe so, but as we all know Bruce likes to throw in a song which is out of step with the rest of the album and he did this again with My Best was never good enough which I thought was quite a funny song. Still think TGOTJ is one of Bruce's masterpiece albums.

Oh I do too... But it could have been even masterpiecer, or maybe even the masterpiecest. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lampi said:

And Seven Angels.

Part Man Part Monkey and When The Lights Go Out are good songs but the studio versions are rather tame versions compared to the 1988 live versions and the Christic Institute versions, respectively.

Back In Your Arms is a fantastic song which deserved better than to be tucked away at the end of Tracks Disc 4 (well it is at the end of Disc 4 for chronological reasons but still).

Difficult to believe My Best Was Never Good Enough is on the Joad album but Brothers Under The Bridge is not; the fact Brothers was a regular during the Joad Tour maybe confirms Bruce himself regretted that decision too.

Some other songs on Disc 4 sound like they never completely got past the demo stage, like they were never proper finished songs. The 1998 re-recording of Gave It A Name (because the mastertape of the original recording from the Human Touch sessions was lost) just sounds lazy and uninspired.

And for some strange reasons (not space reasons) 30 Days Out is not on it.

Love Leavin’ Train too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rizla said:

Tracks 4 has one of my favourite Bruce songs: the criminally under-appreciated Loose Change.
Surely there's someone who likes it, besides me and Daisey?

i had no idea

im soooooooooo happy Rizla to know you love it so :)

i think that guy is definatly on this new album

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve mentioned this before on the Lake but I listened to Tracks ‘backwards’ when I bought it... I listened to CD4 first because it had the newer/newest material. So I absolutely love that disc. Yes, over time I worked backward and got to appreciate the jewels and gems on the other CDs... Frankie and Rockaway the Days for example will always be two of my favourite Springsteen tracks.

Last year I even imported a copy of the new smaller print of Tracks because my original 1998 one is in danger of coming apart from use. 

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lampi said:

 

Difficult to believe My Best Was Never Good Enough is on the Joad album but Brothers Under The Bridge is not; the fact Brothers was a regular during the Joad Tour maybe confirms Bruce himself regretted that decision too.

I remember from back in the 90s Bruce claiming he wrote/recorded Brothers under the bridge too late for it to make the Tom Joad album. 

The fact that it shares (twice) the rhyme bridge/ridge with the title track might also have something to do with its exclusion from the 1995 final tracklist. Also, it is worth remembering that Bruce wanted to release a second acoustic album after Joad (eventually axed by Sony) which was kept out from Tracks, but provided most of the material for Devils & Dust.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rizla said:

Tracks 4 has one of my favourite Bruce songs: the criminally under-appreciated Loose Change.
Surely there's someone who likes it, besides me and Daisey?

Can add me too, always loved that song..

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frank said:

I remember from back in the 90s Bruce claiming he wrote/recorded Brothers under the bridge too late for it to make the Tom Joad album. 

The fact that it shares (twice) the rhyme bridge/ridge with the title track might also have something to do with its exclusion from the 1995 final tracklist.

Yes. But according to Brucebase, Brothers... was recorded in May 1995 so could have been on the album.

Good point about sharing the same bridge with the title song (Not that I hear most of these things myself).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I’ve mentioned this before on the Lake but I listened to Tracks ‘backwards’ when I bought it... I listened to CD4 first because it had the newer/newest material. So I absolutely love that disc. Yes, over time I worked backward and got to appreciate the jewels and gems on the other CDs...

That is interesting...maybe also the difference between those of us who allready knew many songs from the first 3 discs from bootlegs (and the previously released B-Sides) and those who didn't.

Did you allready know the B-Sides in 1998? (Maybe some of them but not all)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

That is interesting...maybe also the difference between those of us who allready knew many songs from the first 3 discs from bootlegs (and the previously released B-Sides) and those who didn't.

Did you allready know the B-Sides in 1998? (Maybe some of them but not all)

No Sir. I did not know any of the B Sides, only the albums.

The only songs I was familiar with, if my memory is correct, was This Hard Land as I knew the GH version, and Back In Your Arms from the Blood Brothers video.

Apart from that (and of course the songs played for Hammond) every single track was new to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

 

Apart from that (and of course the songs played for Hammond) every single track was new to me.

Also not Be True from the Detroit 1988 live version?

It seems quite some people were familiair with the Detroit version but did not know the original studio version/B-Side until release of Tracks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Also not Be True from the Detroit 1988 live version?

It seems quite some people were familiair with the Detroit version but did not know the original studio version/B-Side until release of Tracks.

I did actually know that...I had a ‘Maxi 4 Track’ vinyl of Tougher Than The Rest which includes that. It’s the same one that was rereleased on CD as the Chimes Of Freedom EP. 

Also, I remembered after writing my previous post that after hearing Frankie the first time I realized that it was the song I didn’t know that played in the Blood Brothers VHS when they were deciding on the GH tracklisting... I was like ‘that’s it!!!’ 

“Let’s go to two CDs Baws...” 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 2:40 AM, Frank said:

I remember from back in the 90s Bruce claiming he wrote/recorded Brothers under the bridge too late for it to make the Tom Joad album. 

The fact that it shares (twice) the rhyme bridge/ridge with the title track might also have something to do with its exclusion from the 1995 final tracklist. Also, it is worth remembering that Bruce wanted to release a second acoustic album after Joad (eventually axed by Sony) which was kept out from Tracks, but provided most of the material for Devils & Dust.

Was it Sony or JLM that axed/talked him out of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, Lampi said:

Good point about sharing the same bridge with the title song (Not that I hear most of these things myself).

Frank was not referring to the bridge sections of the songs but to that the rhyme ridge/bridge is used in both The Ghost of Tom Joad and Brothers under the bridge. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

Frank was not referring to the bridge sections of the songs but to that the rhyme ridge/bridge is used in both The Ghost of Tom Joad and Brothers under the bridge. :)

That is why I say I do not hear those things myself.

I also do not hear the intro to Outlaw Pete (It is the intro?) Sounding like that Kiss song while everyone seems to hear that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lampi said:

That is why I say I do not hear those things myself.

I also do not hear the intro to Outlaw Pete (It is the intro?) Sounding like that Kiss song while everyone seems to hear that.

But you said "Good point about sharing the same bridge with the title song" which to me sounds like you meant the bridge section of the song (as in chorus-bridge-chorus)? Do you mean that you too were referring to the lyrics (that both songs use the rhyme ridge/bridge in the lyrics)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

 Do you mean that you too were referring to the lyrics (that both songs use the rhyme ridge/bridge in the lyrics)?

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.