NoSurrender81

TRACKS 2 possible for Xmas release

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

No.

Then I guess my first post on this subject that you replied to wasn't for nothing since there seems to have been a misunderstanding between what Frank was talking about and what you thought Frank was talking about.

Ooorrr maybe it's me who've misunderstood.

...And I know it doesn't matter either way. :)

On 6/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, Lampi said:

Yes. But according to Brucebase, Brothers... was recorded in May 1995 so could have been on the album.

I seem to remember there’s reference about that in the Tracks liner notes.

Unfortunately, I can’t check it myself at present. I’m sure gentle soul around here can easily verify it that info comes from the booklet or was from another source. 

18 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

No, that’s Backstreets magazine liner Notes to Tracks. It’s different from the booklet that came out with the box set with Bruce’s own short comments to each song. It’s the latter that I’m referring to.

But thank you anyway.

28 minutes ago, Frank said:

No, that’s Backstreets magazine liner Notes to Tracks. It’s different from the booklet that came out with the box set with Bruce’s own short comments to each song. It’s the latter that I’m referring to.

But thank you anyway.

14. Brothers Under the Bridge
RECORDING LOCATION: Thrill Hill Recording, Los Angeles, CA
RECORDING DATE: May 22, 1995
HISTORY: The only outtake to be released from The Ghost of Tom Joad album sessions, “Brothers” debuted on the first leg of the Joad tour, on December 16, 1995 in Boston. The title was familiar as a Born in the U.S.A. outtake, but Tracks confirms that the title is the only commonality. Paired nightly from that point on with “Born in the U.S.A.”—and occasionally with “Shut Out the Light” as well—“Brothers” became part of a bigger tale of veterans returning home from Vietnam. In per- formance, perhaps as part of a continuing effort to reduce the number of “Billy”s in his songs, Bruce changed the character from Billy Devon to Jimmy Devon.
BRUCE SAYS: “This is a song set in the San Gabriel Mountains, a mountain range in between the San Fernando Valley and the Mojave Desert, just outside of Los Angeles. Los Angeles is a funny town, because you can go about 25 minutes east, and you hit the foothills of these mountains. And you’ll go for 100 miles and there might be one little store. There’s a little town up around 7,000 feet, and the rest is just pines, takes you down the other side into the desert. There was a group of homeless Vietnam vets that had left L.A. to set up a camp, a camp out there in the mountains. This is a story about one of them who has a grown daughter that he’s never seen, and she grows up, and she comes looking for her dad. And what he tells her.”
—concert introduction, April 24, 1996

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

14. Brothers Under the Bridge
RECORDING LOCATION: Thrill Hill Recording, Los Angeles, CA
RECORDING DATE: May 22, 1995
HISTORY: The only outtake to be released from The Ghost of Tom Joad album sessions, “Brothers” debuted on the first leg of the Joad tour, on December 16, 1995 in Boston. The title was familiar as a Born in the U.S.A. outtake, but Tracks confirms that the title is the only commonality. Paired nightly from that point on with “Born in the U.S.A.”—and occasionally with “Shut Out the Light” as well—“Brothers” became part of a bigger tale of veterans returning home from Vietnam. In per- formance, perhaps as part of a continuing effort to reduce the number of “Billy”s in his songs, Bruce changed the character from Billy Devon to Jimmy Devon.
BRUCE SAYS: “This is a song set in the San Gabriel Mountains, a mountain range in between the San Fernando Valley and the Mojave Desert, just outside of Los Angeles. Los Angeles is a funny town, because you can go about 25 minutes east, and you hit the foothills of these mountains. And you’ll go for 100 miles and there might be one little store. There’s a little town up around 7,000 feet, and the rest is just pines, takes you down the other side into the desert. There was a group of homeless Vietnam vets that had left L.A. to set up a camp, a camp out there in the mountains. This is a story about one of them who has a grown daughter that he’s never seen, and she grows up, and she comes looking for her dad. And what he tells her.”
—concert introduction, April 24, 1996

Sorry (and thank you again) but as I said before, what you’ve just quoted is Backstreets Magazine (very insightful, btw) liner notes to Tracks. 

I’m referring to the 56 page color booklet that was included in the 1998 box set, with the lyrics, song credits and short comments (just a few sentences, as the handwritten notes on the Greatest Hits booklet) by Bruce to each tracks.

sorry :(

i found the box but the booklet must still be in a moving box labeled Bruce 

i remember exactly where it was at the old place because i had been studying it and it definatly got packed 

(every dam box has Bruce on it)

1560825418150208466177.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank said:

Sorry (and thank you again) but as I said before, what you’ve just quoted is Backstreets Magazine (very insightful, btw) liner notes to Tracks. 

I’m referring to the booklet that was included in the 1998 box set, with the lyrics, song credits and short comments (just a few sentences, as the handwritten notes on the Greatest Hits booklet) by Bruce to each tracks.

I thought you were looking for recording date, which is included here, guess I mis understood. Don’t have easy access to the booklet at the moment. 

i just found the book down thunder road that belongs to @Humphrey B Bear

and now im missing the 2nd tracks disk but i think its safe in the spair cd cassette stacker thingy

im too afraid to keep looking for fear of opening Pandora's box :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

I thought you were looking for recording date, which is included here, guess I mis understood. Don’t have easy access to the booklet at the moment. 

Thank you. The Backstreets notes indeed provide the correct recording session infos.

What I’m trying to remember is where I read Bruce stating something like ‘I wrote it at the end of Tom Joad sessions, too late to include it on the album’. 

30 minutes ago, Frank said:

Thank you. The Backstreets notes indeed provide the correct recording session infos.

What I’m trying to remember is where I read Bruce stating something like ‘I wrote it at the end of Tom Joad sessions, too late to include it on the album’. 

No problem. I don’t recall that ever being mentioned, so interested  to find out if that  is indeed the case

On 6/15/2019 at 9:45 PM, J said:

Joad would be the perfect album if it finished with Brothers instead My Best... Especially with that last part where he doesn't sing the last line, it would have been such an amazing end of album song. Biggest missed opportunity of his career... Or up there anyway. 

I have always loved 'my best was never good enough', and I see it as wry take on the reception of human touch/Lucky town. I also wonder if this is why he never plays Streets of Philadelphia live... almost like 'you don't want Human Touch/Lucky town... well you aint having the Oscar award wining song either'. 

• Like 2

I've just dragged out my original Tracks box set. The booklet has lyrics and recording info only, there is no commentary from Bruce. So if he did say that Brothers was recorded too late, it must've been in an interview somewhere.

And if Bruce did say that, we can probably take it with a pinch of salt. How often has he introduced an unreleased song in concert pre 1998 with something like "here's one we never recorded". For e.g. This Hard Land on the 1993 release. Yet Tracks showed that these songs had indeed been recorded. (Yeah, I know he's really referring to the fact the songs weren't released but saying they weren't recorded is still innacurate)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:17 PM, SteveJhb said:

I’ve mentioned this before on the Lake but I listened to Tracks ‘backwards’ when I bought it... I listened to CD4 first because it had the newer/newest material. So I absolutely love that disc. Yes, over time I worked backward and got to appreciate the jewels and gems on the other CDs... Frankie and Rockaway the Days for example will always be two of my favourite Springsteen tracks.

Last year I even imported a copy of the new smaller print of Tracks because my original 1998 one is in danger of coming apart from use. 

I listened to Disc 4 first because it had the least amount of songs I had already heard. I think when Tracks came out, I had previously heard about 30 of the tracks so I wanted to hear all the unfamiliar stuff straight away. I listened to that fourth disc then only the songs on 1-3 that were new to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I have always loved 'my best was never good enough', and I see it as wry take on the reception of human touch/Lucky town. 

That is indeed what My Best...seems to be about too.

8 hours ago, Frank said:

Maybe in the book Songs?

53 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Maybe in the book Songs?

I don’t think Songs covers the Tracks material (the book’s 1998 edition, at least). That was a major let down to me at the time.

Are you sure Tracks booklet (or 18 Tracks?) doesn’t have short songs comments? I haven’t look at it in 15 years or so, but I seem to remember there was something about it.

It's worth noting that that there are lots of errors in the Tracks booklet. These are corrected in the Backstreets Tracks booklet

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i just found the book down thunder road that belongs to @Humphrey B Bear

and now im missing the 2nd tracks disk but i think its safe in the spair cd cassette stacker thingy

im too afraid to keep looking for fear of opening Pandora's box :lol:

We’ll never see or hear from @Daisey Jeepagain lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

That is indeed what My Best...seems to be about too.

Those are two of my favorite albums

• Like 3

Could anybody please check if the 18 Tracks booklet contains comments about the songs? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Could anybody please check if the 18 Tracks booklet contains comments about the songs? 

Thanks.

Mine does not. Same format as Tracks.

The original Essential Bruce Springsteen does contain notes from Bruce about each song on the 3rd CD though. Is that not perhaps what you were thinking of @Frank ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Mine does not. Same format as Tracks.

The original Essential Bruce Springsteen does contain notes from Bruce about each song on the 3rd CD though. Is that not perhaps what you were thinking of @Frank ?

Thank you for checking it.

It's a mystery, though. I have a clear recollection of that booklet (or written interview?), and it feels like something official (either a Sony official release, or a backstreets speaking with Springsteen himself). 

Time will tell.

• Like 2