NoSurrender81

TRACKS 2 possible for Xmas release

4 minutes ago, Frank said:

Thank you for checking it.

It's a mystery, though. I have a clear recollection of that booklet (or written interview?), and it feels like something official (either a Sony official release, or a backstreets speaking with Springsteen himself). 

Time will tell.

I don't think you're going mad, I'm sure I can remember reading something along those lines as well. I'll rack what's left of my brain and see if I can remember anything.

Ok, I'm pretty sure it has to be in 'Songs' - can anyone have a look see? My copy is in god only knows territory.

49 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Ok, I'm pretty sure it has to be in 'Songs' - can anyone have a look see? My copy is in god only knows territory.

my copy is with your copy

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Songs didn't take Tracks into accounts, as far as I remember. (As I said, I thought it was a big disappointment as the time, since both items come out basically at the same time). I don't know if the book has been updated since the first edition, but for sure I counldn't have read that detail on BUTB on my copy.

2 hours ago, Frank said:

Songs didn't take Tracks into accounts, as far as I remember. (As I said, I thought it was a big disappointment as the time, since both items come out basically at the same time). I don't know if the book has been updated since the first edition, but for sure I counldn't have read that detail on BUTB on my copy.

You could well be right. Annoying. I see I shall have to get a shovel and find where I buried the damn thing.

Just now, wolfinthepines said:

You could well be right. Annoying. I see I shall have to get a shovel and find where I buried the damn thing.

Total change in direction, but could it have been in that long interview Bruce did with that Australian (I think) journalists? The one that never aired, but has been available for a long while. I’m pretty sure it was conducted mid 90s, if I recall right, around the time of Joad or Tracks (can’t remember specifically). 

17 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

Total change in direction, but could it have been in that long interview Bruce did with that Australian (I think) journalists? The one that never aired, but has been available for a long while. I’m pretty sure it was conducted mid 90s, if I recall right, around the time of Joad or Tracks (can’t remember specifically). 

This one?:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

This one?:

Yes! That is the video I was thinking off. I have not watched it in a long time so I’m not certain it does talk about individual songs that ended up on tracks (especially now that It is confirmed from 1995), but it could certainly have addressed brothers as it was recorded around this time and Joad came out in 95. 

All this said, and @Frank I’m not saying you are wrong, but according to the backstreets booklet Brothers was recorded at the end of May 1995 which would seem to offer plenty of time for it to be included on the album which was released on November 21, 1995 (one day shy of 6 months later). 

I think it was earlier in this thread, but it could have been on backstreets too, but I’m pretty certain that it was mentioned that just 3 months later Tracks was delivered to Columbia in September ‘98 for release in November.

So assuming a similar timeframe for Joad, that would have left them June, July and August to process Brothers and add it to the album before delivery to Columbia. 

• Thanks 1

Just checked Brucebase for the GOTJ sessions. All the material is listed as being recorded between March and August 1995, so Brothers appears to have been part of the sessions and certainly available for inclusion. The song GOTJ itself was recorded a day after Brothers according to this.

http://brucebase.wikidot.com/stats:the-ghost-of-tom-joad-studio-sessions

On 6/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, Frank said:

No, that’s Backstreets magazine liner Notes to Tracks. It’s different from the booklet that came out with the box set with Bruce’s own short comments to each song. It’s the latter that I’m referring to.

But thank you anyway.

Just checked my Tracks booklet and it also has 5/22/95 at Thrill Hill as the recording date .

@Frank just looking through the backstreets liner notes and it has this entry for Happy:

10. Happy
RECORDING LOCATION: A&M Studios, Los Angeles, CA
RECORDING DATE: Listed as January 18, 1992, but more likely January 18, 1991.
HISTORY: The only other song recorded at A&M Studios on Tracks is “Goin’ Cali,” which was recorded a year ear- lier and suggests that this recording date could be a typo. If “Happy” was actually recorded on January 18, 1992, rather than 1991, it may be the only song on the box not recorded specifically for an album. The Lucky Town sessions took place in the fall and winter of 1991; by January 1992, it would have been too late for this song to be considered for Lucky Town or Human Touch as the press release announcing both albums, complete with track lists, hit within two weeks of the credited recording date for “Happy.” Regardless, the song seems to serve as a summation and distillation of Springsteen’s state of mind at the time. As he told Rolling Stone in 1992: “I’ve struggled with a lot of things over the past two, three years, and it’s been real rewarding. I’ve been very, very happy, truly the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole life. And it’s not that one-dimensional idea of ‘happy.’ It’s accepting a lot of death and sorrow and mortality. It’s putting the script down and let- ting the chips fall where they may.”

Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

26 minutes ago, theunsteve said:

Just checked my Tracks booklet and it also has 5/22/95 at Thrill Hill as the recording date .

To be clear. Nobody is questioning the recording date provided by Tracks or BruceBase. I’m simply looking for a (written) comment Bruce himself made about the song some 20 years ago. I also remember (but it could be a different source) Bruce talking about The Fever (at first excluded because of Southside Johnny’s great version), and The Promise being redone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

@Frank just looking through the backstreets liner notes and it has this entry for Happy:

10. Happy
RECORDING LOCATION: A&M Studios, Los Angeles, CA
RECORDING DATE: Listed as January 18, 1992, but more likely January 18, 1991.
HISTORY: The only other song recorded at A&M Studios on Tracks is “Goin’ Cali,” which was recorded a year ear- lier and suggests that this recording date could be a typo. If “Happy” was actually recorded on January 18, 1992, rather than 1991, it may be the only song on the box not recorded specifically for an album. The Lucky Town sessions took place in the fall and winter of 1991; by January 1992, it would have been too late for this song to be considered for Lucky Town or Human Touch as the press release announcing both albums, complete with track lists, hit within two weeks of the credited recording date for “Happy.” Regardless, the song seems to serve as a summation and distillation of Springsteen’s state of mind at the time. As he told Rolling Stone in 1992: “I’ve struggled with a lot of things over the past two, three years, and it’s been real rewarding. I’ve been very, very happy, truly the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole life. And it’s not that one-dimensional idea of ‘happy.’ It’s accepting a lot of death and sorrow and mortality. It’s putting the script down and let- ting the chips fall where they may.”

Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

No. I’m pretty sure it was Brothers. Actually, that comment stroke me because the recording date didn’t seem that late, and because I thought Brothers (despite the redundant rhyme) would have improved Tom Joad album.

1 minute ago, Frank said:

No. I’m pretty sure it was Brothers. Actually, that comment stroke me because the recording date didn’t seem that late, and because I thought Brothers (despite the redundant rhyme) would have improved Tom Joad album.

Is it possible it was from one of the live show intros?

Here are the intro from the first two performances:

16.12.95 Boston, MA, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridges´ (following ´It´s the Little Things That Count´)
´´Strangers in the night….this is a song that I recorded for the last record that didn´t make it on the record….uh….I wanna play it tonight, I´ve never played it before, let´s see how I´ll do (cheers) ah, that always works, you know….and ´Gee, folks, I hope I don´t fuck up´ (chuckles) but uh….it´s a, it´s a song about there´s a group of Vets that lived up in San Gabriel Mountains in California and, uh…..it´s about a fellow who´s, uh, who´s daughter, who he hasn´t seen, comes looking for him….and it´s called ´Brothers Under the Bridges´….´´

17.12.95 New York City, NY, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridges´
´´This is a song I wrote for the, for the last record and it didn´t, didn´t get it on but this is kind of the one that got away, I guess, uh…..but it´s a song, that is, uh…..it´s about a group of ….of homeless Vietnam Vets that live up in the San Gabriel mountains in California and it´s about a fellow whose daughter….comes looking for her dad…..´´

10 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

Is it possible it was from one of the live show intros?

That’s also possible (although it’s like I can still see the fonts used in my mind). A Backstreets Mag world acoustic tour interview with might also be the case. Wasn’t there a 1996-97 where Bruce talked about cutting some 24 songs Tom Joad, and keeping writing on tour (there was even a joke about going back to his hotel room after the shows?).

1 minute ago, Frank said:

That’s also possible (although it’s like I can still see the fonts used in my mind). A Backstreets Mag world acoustic tour interview with might also the case. Wasn’t there a 1996-97 where Bruce talked about cutting some 24 songs Tom Joad, and keeping writing on tour (there was even a joke about going back to his hotel room after the shows?).

Sounds plausible, but I’m not certain. 

12 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

Sounds plausible, but I’m not certain. 

If it’s a live intro I heard (which I doubt), it must be either the Berkeley Community Theatre bootleg (one or the other night, which I’m sure most people have) or Zurich ‘96. But as I said, I bet it was written source.

I'm hoping for Preachers Daughter and Sugarland plus all the pre greetings stuff

No doubt that harry potter track will be on it and Waiting on the end of the world

On 6/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, wolfinthepines said:

The Joad chapter of Songs says nothing about Brothers Under The Bridge.

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

The Joad chapter of Songs says nothing about Brothers Under The Bridge.

Ah well, worth a try. 

@Frank I went through all of the "story Tellers" for the shows that Brothers was performed at. Not all shows had transcribed intros so its possible he offered more commentary in other performances. None of these provide a direct answer to your question or remembrance, but its interesting to see Bruce introducing it and seemingly not remembering/knowing why it was left off, with one notable exception where he says it came close. I only included the intros where he specifically addressed the song being written/recorded for Joad and not making the album. Not the ones where he talks only about the content of the song.

16.12.95 Boston, MA, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridges´ (following ´It´s the Little Things That Count´)
´´….this is a song that I recorded for the last record that didn´t make it on the record….uh….I wanna play it tonight, I´ve never played it before, let´s see how I´ll do (cheers) ah, that always works, you know….and ´Gee, folks, I hope I don´t fuck up´ (chuckles) but uh….it´s a, it´s a song about there´s a group of Vets that lived up in San Gabriel Mountains in California and, uh…..it´s about a fellow who´s, uh, who´s daughter, who he hasn´t seen, comes looking for him….and it´s called ´Brothers Under the Bridges´….´´

17.12.95 New York City, NY, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridges´
´´This is a song I wrote for the, for the last record and it didn´t, didn´t get it on but this is kind of the one that got away, I guess, uh…..but it´s a song, that is, uh…..it´s about a group of ….of homeless Vietnam Vets that live up in the San Gabriel mountains in California and it´s about a fellow whose daughter….comes looking for her dad…..´´

12.01.96 Youngstown, OH, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridges´ (following ´Sell It And They Will Come´)
"….this is a song, uh, it was a song that I wrote for the Tom Joad-record but it didn´t, didn´t make it on the record, I´m not sure why but, uh, it´s set in the San Gabriel mountains in California and it´s, uh, there was a group of homeless Vietnam veterans that, that set up a camp out there and, uh, this is a story about….one of them who has a, has a daughter and she grows up and she comes looking for her dad…..it´s called ´Brothers Under the Bridges´….´´

07.05.96 Barcelona, Spain, intro to ´´Brothers Under The Bridges´´ (following ´´Red Headed Woman´´)
´´...here´s a song I wrote for the Tom Joad-record, it didn´t get on it for some reason, I don´t know why, but it´s set in the San Gabriel Mountains, which is a mountain range outside of, just outside of Los Angeles, uh, between the San Fernando Valley and Mojave Desert, Los Angeles is a funny town because you get about 25 minutes outside and….you get in the foothills of these mountains and you´ll go for a hundred miles and there´s nothing but, like, one little store….and they take you over, up seven thousand feet and over down into the desert….it was in the mid-´80s that there was a group of homeless Vietnam Vets that set up a camp in the San Gabriels´ to get out of the city, this is a story about one of them that has a grown daughter that he´s never seen, she grows up and comes looking for her dad and what he has to tell her, this is called ´Brothers Under The Bridges´….´´

16.10.96 Denver, CO, intro to ´Brothers Under the Bridge´
´´(?)….this is a song I wrote for the Tom Joad-record and it almost got on, didn´t quite get on but….but it was, uh, set in the San Gabriel Mountains in California, the mountains around outside the San Fernando Valley, in the, uh, in the mid-80´s there was a group of homeless Vietnam Vets that set up a camp out in the San Gabriels…..to get out of the city and, uh, this is a story about a fella that has a, has a daughter that he´s never seen….and she comes looking for her dad…..and this is what he tells her, this is called ´Brothers Under the Bridge´ ….´´

• Like 2

Steering back to the possible release, I put together a three disc concept for Tracks II. This is what I'd like to see. Honestly, I'm not completely sold on the third disc and it could probably be cut down to two. But seeing as Bruce has stuff we've never even come close to sniffing, it could easily go to four, five or even six discs too.

DISC ONE

The Chosen

[One of, if not the only, true uncirculating outtake from Greetings]

Phantoms

[Remastered; music track became Zero & Terry]

Evacuation of the West 

[Remastered]

Fire on the Wing

[WIESS outtake. Probably the most sought after uncirculating outtake in Bruce’s catalog. Master exists as it was considered for Tracks. My #1 as the circulating WIESS outtakes are the most intriguing to me due to their capturing the vibrancy and romanticism of early Bruce]

Lonely Night in the Park 

[Remastered]

Walking in the Street (Lovers in the Cold) 

[Remaster or re-record as Bruce claimed they couldn’t find the master for Tracks]

Janey Needs a Shooter 

[Spanish-flared full band version recorded during BTR sessions]

Thunder Road 

[Early solo acoustic take]

Preacher’s Daughter

[Remastered]

Castaway (The Ballad)

[Remastered or re-record]

Janey Needs a Shooter II

[Darkness/River era version; Might need to be a re-record as the circulating is a band rehearsal]

Angelyne

[River sessions backing track exists, vocal re-record]

Jole Blon

Chevrolet Deluxe

[Remastered]

The Losin’ Kind

[Remastered]

Child Bride

[Remastered]

DISC TWO

Richfield Whistle

[Remastered]

Protection

[Remastered]

Glory Days

[Extended version with extra verse]

The Klansman

[Remastered]

Seven Tears

[Remastered]

Follow that Dream

[Remastered]

Sugarland

[Remastered]

Don’t Back Down

[Remastered]

Club Soul City

[Backing Track Exists; vocal re-record]

Savin’ Up

[Remastered]

Drop On Down (And Cover Me)

[Remastered]

Unsatisfied Heart

[Remastered; might be the best song Bruce has never released]

Betty Jean

[Remastered]

Light of Day

[Appears that backing track was recorded at the very least; deserves a proper release]

Ida Rose [No One Knows]

[Uncirculating but considered for Tracks; There are a number of unknown and uncirculating BUSA outtakes but this one’s title has always intrigued me]

King’s Highway

[Uncirculating but considered for Tracks]

DISC THREE

Walking Through Midnight

[TOL outtake co-written with Southside Johnny (who released it later); might need to be a new recording as it was likely never cut]

Red-Headed Woman

[Uncirculating as studio take]

Homestead

[Remastered; co-written with Joe Gruschecky]

Blind Spot

[Uncirculating 1994 recording; said to be amazing]

Between Heaven and Earth

[Uncirculating 1994 recording]

Blood Brothers

[Rock Version]

Tiger Rose

[Uncirculating GOTJ outtake]

Idiot’s Delight

I’m Turning into Elvis

It’s the Little Things that Count

I’ll Stand You Always

[Released on Blinded by the Light Soundtrack]

In Freehold

[Rising sessions recording?]

Pilgrim in the Temple of Love

American Man

[WB outtake; uncirculating]

Cold Spot

[High Hopes outtake; uncirculating]

Devils & Dust

[Full band cut; probably never recorded but considering the results of the live performances they should]

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

Whatever they put on it (if this actually happens), I hope there's no, or minimum, rerecording. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

10 hours ago, LoverInTheCold said:

Steering back to the possible release, I put together a three disc concept for Tracks II. This is what I'd like to see. Honestly, I'm not completely sold on the third disc and it could probably be cut down to two. But seeing as Bruce has stuff we've never even come close to sniffing, it could easily go to four, five or even six discs too.

DISC ONE

The Chosen

[One of, if not the only, true uncirculating outtake from Greetings]

Phantoms

[Remastered; music track became Zero & Terry]

Evacuation of the West 

[Remastered]

Fire on the Wing

[WIESS outtake. Probably the most sought after uncirculating outtake in Bruce’s catalog. Master exists as it was considered for Tracks. My #1 as the circulating WIESS outtakes are the most intriguing to me due to their capturing the vibrancy and romanticism of early Bruce]

Lonely Night in the Park 

[Remastered]

Walking in the Street (Lovers in the Cold) 

[Remaster or re-record as Bruce claimed they couldn’t find the master for Tracks]

Janey Needs a Shooter 

[Spanish-flared full band version recorded during BTR sessions]

Thunder Road 

[Early solo acoustic take]

Preacher’s Daughter

[Remastered]

Castaway (The Ballad)

[Remastered or re-record]

Janey Needs a Shooter II

[Darkness/River era version; Might need to be a re-record as the circulating is a band rehearsal]

Angelyne

Jole Blon

Chevrolet Deluxe

[Remastered]

The Losin’ Kind

[Remastered]

Child Bride

[Remastered]

DISC TWO

Richfield Whistle

[Remastered]

Protection

[Remastered]

Glory Days

[Extended version with extra verse]

The Klansman

[Remastered]

Seven Tears

[Remastered]

Follow that Dream

[Remastered]

Sugarland

[Remastered]

Don’t Back Down

[Remastered]

Club Soul City

[Backing Track Exists; vocal re-record]

Savin’ Up

[Remastered]

Drop On Down (And Cover Me)

[Remastered]

Unsatisfied Heart

[Remastered; might be the best song Bruce has never released]

Betty Jean

[Remastered]

Light of Day

[Appears that backing track was recorded at the very least; deserves a proper release]

Ida Rose [No One Knows]

[Uncirculating but considered for Tracks; There are a number of unknown and uncirculating BUSA outtakes but this one’s title has always intrigued me]

King’s Highway

[Uncirculating but considered for Tracks]

DISC THREE

Walking Through Midnight

[TOL outtake co-written with Southside Johnny (who released it later); might need to be a new recording as it was likely never cut]

Red-Headed Woman

[Uncirculating as studio take]

Homestead

[Remastered; co-written with Joe Gruschecky]

Blind Spot

[Uncirculating 1994 recording; said to be amazing]

Between Heaven and Earth

[Uncirculating 1994 recording]

Blood Brothers

[Rock Version]

Tiger Rose

Idiot’s Delight

I’m Turning into Elvis

It’s the Little Things that Count

I’ll Stand You Always

[Released on Blinded by the Light Soundtrack]

In Freehold

Pilgrim in the Temple of Love

American Man

[WB outtake; uncirculating]

Cold Spot

[High Hopes outtake; uncirculating]

Devils & Dust

[Full band cut; probably never recorded but considering the results of the live performances they should]

what is wrong with me

im a huge fan of fade to black (keep for Nebraska box Bruce) but all i see is a white out :(

• Like 1