OK, since one of my best friends on this board stated elsewhere that Bruce had altered her life's  trajectory. And I've heard this a lot, and was wondering why I don't fell the same. 

I have to admit, nothing has changed in my life's trajectory at all since my obsession had started. But listening to more Bruce music and coming to this board and posting every minute I'm not busy doing other things. Is that Life Changing?  

I would like to here others Life Changing moments and explanations.   

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, since one of my best friends on this board stated elsewhere that Bruce had altered her life's  trajectory. And I've heard this a lot, and was wondering why I don't fell the same. 

Because you're not the same people, your friend's life isn't your life and I'm assuming you don't share the same psyche.  

Not complicated.  Not everyone "worships" Bruce or put him as their absolute favorite artist even though they enjoy coming here and are indeed still fans.

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

Because you're not the same people, your friend's life isn't your life and I'm assuming you don't share the same psyche.  

Not complicated.  Not everyone "worships" Bruce or put him as their absolute favorite artist even though they enjoy coming here and are indeed still fans.

See that's not what I was looking for, I already new that. But for the one's who life has changed, their explanations. Thanks for helping me.  

Ok, this isn’t about Bruce but it is about Adam Ant, who has changed my life.  Not completely, but in several ways.  It’s an example.  

When I rediscovered Adam Ant in 2012, I started participating in a forum like this.  I met new friends there, then met up with them in various places to go to shows - NYC to start (I’m from outside Toronto, Canada).  Since then, I’ve travelled all over the UK and also several places in the US.  When I go to these shows, I tour around and explore the city too, which is great. Rediscovering Adam meant I rediscovered the pleasure of concerts, including standing at the front of the stage - absolutely the best place to be for a show, which I had long forgotten.  I am going to the UK again in November for five shows (almost all new cities for me), as well as meeting up with a few friends to see some US shows in September. 

I now have a friend whose flat I’ve stayed at in London UK several times, and another close friend from New Jersey that I travel with quite a bit.  Another friend had me stay in her house that John Lennon used to live in, in Liverpool (she collects “Beatle houses” - she has one for three of them, just missing one for Paul.).  How great is that?  Without Adam, I never would have gotten that chance.  

I now own a guitar (Gibson, previously owned by Adam), and learned how to download bootlegs (a skill I have now put to good use here). I also have a very close friend who helped me through a very difficult time with my daughter about 5 years back.  Without her emotional support, I don’t know how that would have gone.  

All to say, this part of my life did not exist before, and it is some of my most fun stuff.  I do say Adam has changed my life.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, J said:

Music has always been a huge part of my life... I was obsessed with music from a very early age. My dad instilled that in me. I grew up listening to his collection a lot... We always had music on in my house. So discovering Bruce back in 84 or 85 want a life changing experience for me, it was just more music, just a new artist I got into. But music has always acted as a cathartic force for me, and music always helped me make sense of or deal with difficult situations like relationship breakdowns or death of friends and family or just general down periods in my life. Lyrics of certain songs would resonate harder, they would act as a form of therapy. 

So I can imagine that for some people, who discovered Bruce at a time in their lives when they needed emotional help and who felt that his lyrics resonated hard because of what they were going through it will have felt like Bruce changed their lives because it would have helped them through rough patches. And they may feel they would have not got through those rough patches as well without them. 

Great post J.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I have to admit, nothing has changed in my life's trajectory at all since my obsession had started. 

Curious JJ, how old were you when your obsession started?  

Bruce said in his eugly for Clarence, that Clarence was the rain 

well Bruce is my air 

with no air we suffocate and die

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

7 hours ago, Kburke said:

Ok, this isn’t about Bruce but it is about Adam Ant, who has changed my life.  Not completely, but in several ways.  It’s an example.  

When I rediscovered Adam Ant in 2012, I started participating in a forum like this.  I met new friends there, then met up with them in various places to go to shows - NYC to start (I’m from outside Toronto, Canada).  Since then, I’ve travelled all over the UK and also several places in the US.  When I go to these shows, I tour around and explore the city too, which is great. Rediscovering Adam meant I rediscovered the pleasure of concerts, including standing at the front of the stage - absolutely the best place to be for a show, which I had long forgotten.  I am going to the UK again in November for five shows (almost all new cities for me), as well as meeting up with a few friends to see some US shows in September. 

I now have a friend whose flat I’ve stayed at in London UK several times, and another close friend from New Jersey that I travel with quite a bit.  Another friend had me stay in her house that John Lennon used to live in, in Liverpool (she collects “Beatle houses” - she has one for three of them, just missing one for Paul.).  How great is that?  Without Adam, I never would have gotten that chance.  

I now own a guitar (Gibson, previously owned by Adam), and learned how to download bootlegs (a skill I have now put to good use here). I also have a very close friend who helped me through a very difficult time with my daughter about 5 years back.  Without her emotional support, I don’t know how that would have gone.  

All to say, this part of my life did not exist before, and it is some of my most fun stuff.  I do say Adam has changed my life.  

My story is similar, except it's about Bruce.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

i wouldn't even know how to work the internet with out Bruce!

ohhhh you lot should feel soooo lucky :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Bruce Springsteen's music has changed my mind, changed my direction, sent me searching, kept me grounded, soundtracked my dreams, been my traveling companion, influenced my writing, got me up dancing and sent me down crying, played in the background when I had sex, given me comfort, made me think about my misdeeds and given me just one thing I could hold on to from my childhood straight through to this greying age.

His music hasn't changed my life; not in any way I'm aware of. It's saved it a time or two, though. That ought to be enough to justify the strangely deep one-sided love I have for the man.

you have no idea how lucky you are to have had sexual partners who at least tolerated Bruce Springsteen 

:(

Are we even aware of all the things that change our lives?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you have no idea how lucky you are to have had sexual partners

Believe me, I know how lucky I've been.

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

who at least tolerated Bruce Springsteen

Oh, come on...I'm the only one here who wears headphones during sex?

• Haha 9

I became obsessed with Bruce in high school.  Freshman year of college I asked a girl I sat next to in next class if she wanted to see the No Nukes movie at the University Union on Saturday night.  We’ve been married 31years. So sure Bruce changed my life.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

13 minutes ago, CosmicKid said:

When I saw Bruce for the first time, I was a pretty empty bottle that needed filling with something. Bruce appeared at the right time in the right place. It could have been something else, I suppose. 

Well thank God it wasn't is all I can say to that.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, CosmicKid said:

Seeing Bruce for the first time in 1988 changed the course of my life. The experience was so overwhelming that I could hardly contain myself. I needed a way to somehow channel it out, to share it, to manifest it. For years I tried in different ways. I wrote a lot - not necessarily about Bruce, but still influenced by him - I reached out to other fans. But it wasn't until the internet was invented that I found the perfect way to get everything I had to say, all that emotion, out of my system. That's how Greasy Lake came to be, which was followed by years of meeting so many of you, including my wife, and seeing tons of shows and traveling the world, none of which would have happened if it wasn't for Bruce.

But everybody's life is different. When I saw Bruce for the first time, I was a pretty empty bottle that needed filling with something. Bruce appeared at the right time in the right place. It could have been something else, I suppose. Maybe your life was already in a good place when you heard Bruce for the first time, and maybe it just became "great music" to you, nothing life-changing. And that's absolutely fine.

and we are greatful to you and to Bruce for that :)

so many friendships made in Bruce's name

what a gift

i hope he knows that

and thank you too

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, CosmicKid said:

Seeing Bruce for the first time in 1988 changed the course of my life. The experience was so overwhelming that I could hardly contain myself. I needed a way to somehow channel it out, to share it, to manifest it. For years I tried in different ways. I wrote a lot - not necessarily about Bruce, but still influenced by him - I reached out to other fans. But it wasn't until the internet was invented that I found the perfect way to get everything I had to say, all that emotion, out of my system. That's how Greasy Lake came to be, which was followed by years of meeting so many of you, including my wife, and seeing tons of shows and traveling the world, none of which would have happened if it wasn't for Bruce.

But everybody's life is different. When I saw Bruce for the first time, I was a pretty empty bottle that needed filling with something. Bruce appeared at the right time in the right place. It could have been something else, I suppose. Maybe your life was already in a good place when you heard Bruce for the first time, and maybe it just became "great music" to you, nothing life-changing. And that's absolutely fine.

Karsten has been our life-changer! B)

Great post.  Your last two sentences apply to me, Karsten.  I was fortunate enough to be in a good place back in 84/85, so I would say Bruce enhanced my life, but didn't change it. I have also loved mine and mr jmw's Bruce concert experiences together (I've only been to one without him).  You could say that our lives have been enhanced - but not changed - for those few hours.  That's such a special experience. It's also been great to meet like-minded fans, through the Lake, who have either been life-changed or just enhanced :lol:

I absolutely understand those who's lives have been changed by Bruce though.  My life-changer was David Cassidy, back in the mists of time.  But that's another story.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CosmicKid said:

I shall bless that day forever, because we would have never had the Lake, no companionship, no discussions in a friendly way. Just imagine: we might have all ended up on the dark site!

• Love Love Love! 3

49 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I shall bless that day forever, because we would have never had the Lake, no companionship, no discussions in a friendly way. Just imagine: we might have all ended up on the dark site!

i would never have lasted even 5 min over there

• Like 1