Jerseyfornia

A real jewel box of an album.

Jewel box or not?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is Western Stars a jewel box of an album?

• Yes.
    • No.

55 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

So far I have only given each track a quick preview on Spotify, and I don't care for them much. So going by your thought there is no point in giving them a closer listen.  But I think I will anyway, just to be fair.

I didn't imply you can't listen to the whole song.  

Sheesh phantom.  

3 hours ago, Rizla said:

I don't think 'pretentious' is the word.  Some might think it a little presumptuous to praise one's own work, but that's what advertising is all about.

Self-praise ain't always admirable for sure, but I didn't even take the analogy as praise, just describing the varying degrees of styles.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I didn't imply you can't listen to the whole song.  

Sheesh phantom.  

Yeah I know. I was just being a bit glib.

I think this is his most authentic album for a while, and also his more relaxed.

So glad to have a completely new album - WB had older material, HH an outtakes. WOAD - rushed an unnecessary

im really pleased with the album

6 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I didn’t take it as pretentious.  I took it as something of which he was proud.   

Yeah, that's also a way of looking at it. I just find it jarring when Bruce talks this way about releases up front, somewhat uncharacteristic of him. There's also all sorts of language barriers and cultural differences that come into play here. Norwegians are notoriously sceptical to self-praise of any kind, too much so. One of the traits I like very much that Americans have, is the ability to be proud of something that you ought be proud of, that you have done well. Try being proud of anything up here in the North, and Janteloven immediatley comes into play... 

Thanks for the perspective!

• Bruuuuce! 1

13 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

When he first said it was a jewel box, I straight away thought of my Grandmas jewel box, which I loved. I have no idea whether most of her jewels were worth much,  but it was a beautiful box, inlaid with mother-of-pearl with a plush red satin lining. She had necklaces, bracelets and broaches (one of which featured horses galloping along!) many brightly coloured and glitzy.

I think the album stacks up well against Grandma's jewel box, plush, varied, colourful and interesting.

yes, that's awsome

what about the one you think is fake but is just a bit dirty and after a clean its a star again :)

defiantly horsey stuff

i think its a man's jewel box

there might be grandma's pearls in there and maybe a thing or two of mom's, that was going to be for his 'future' wife

but i think its full of men's stuff

his grandpa's wedding ring

or dad's signet ring

a whole stack of western jewlery 

a St Christifer's medal

those bolo ties with turquoise 

man bangles 

a class ring maybe given to him by a girl friend because he never finished his schooling

maybe a slave bangle (from an ex) he won't wear anymore but he won't chuck it out either

maybe his own wedding ring 

rosearry beads

lots of crosses 

leather 

*a western belt buckle

lots of earrings - maybe a set of his mom's too 

....i really love men's jewlery* and the real Bruce Springsteen rocks men's jewlery.

ive always wanted to gift Gary  jewlery but he has seen too many work site accidents to wear anything more than an earing - he does have one ruby earing of his mum's  tucked away in my jewlery box though

*i have the most amazing Jeep belt buckle :lol:

**not the Liberace look mind you ;)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

That's how Bruce described Western Stars. Now that you've heard it, do you agree with his boast?

I believe it is. There's dust, like the lid hasn't been opened for a long while, but inside there are subtle gems and sparkling diamonds and other precious stones that are mysterious and beguiling.

155068624.jpg

who knew photographing jewlery with cacti is actually a thing :lol:Emerald+cut+diamond+small.png

• Like 2

Just found out today that a Jewel Box is a type of baseball stadium.  They were built at the beginning of the 20th century and used during the golden age of baseball but most have now been demolished.  The Yankees Stadium in New York was a Jewel Box and was demolished in 2010 around the same time that Giants Stadium (the inspiration for Wrecking Ball) was.  I think this fits many of the themes of the album, nostalgia, old heroes, the sun setting on an era.  Also makes me think about moonlight motel in a different way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This album is a real treasure of beautiful songs.

Like you are walking through an exhibition falling in love and adoring all the exceptional paintings.

• Like 4