Daisey Jeep

why do you love Western stars but not WOAD ?

reading all the love and admiration and pure enjoyment people are getting from this album is awsome

but what makes this album tick your boxes when WOAD did not ? :(

its really puzzling me at this point

i still absolutely love WOAD and i hear similarities to this new record 

• Like 2

I too Belong to the small collective that really enjoys WOAD, however, for me the key differences for me is that WS as a body of songs ‘hangs together’ better than WOAD plus I think songs on WS are more carefully constructed mature songs vs the more lightweight pop feel of WOAD.. 

• Like 6

In brief and early impression: the sound is similar, yes. The difference? Generally, the lyrics and subject matter on Westrn Stars is stronger.

• Like 7

I love both. Stones and Queen of the Supermarket are somehow related to my ears.

• Like 1

Personally I liked WOAD.

However, I think the reason why WOAD split Bruce’s core fan base while WS doesn’t, is that the latter has a unity of sound (and message, to some extent), whereas the former was a mixture of different styles and themes.

• Like 4

Just now, Frank said:

Personally I liked WOAD.

However, I think the reason why WOAD split Bruce’s core fan base, while WS doesn’t, is that the latter has a unity of sound (and message, to some extent), whereas the former was a mixture of different styles and themes.

yaah the bullet mike 

2 minutes ago, Frank said:

Personally I liked WOAD.

However, I think the reason why WOAD split Bruce’s core fan base, while WS doesn’t, is that the latter has a unity of sound (and message, to some extent), whereas the former was a mixture of different styles and themes.

I would disagree in that other than Outlaw Pete and Good Eye, the songs are about relationships.

I didn't buy WOAD - haven't bought several of his later ones.

Got the new one today and I love every song … I can't remember when I've enjoyed Bruce's music so much since the 'early days' … possibly since Tunnel of Love.

His voice is fabulous … nothing to do with it being 'helped along' or not … takes me back. I'm picturing all my favourite cowboys just ambling along the prairie. :)

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I am waiting for the deluxe edition of Western Stars featuring an alternate take of Outlaw Pete.

in about six months

complete with bonus footage with a Q&A seasion featuring redicoulss questions, and answers in some fashion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rocknrollcrook said:

I would disagree in that other than Outlaw Pete and Good Eye, the songs are about relationships.

Well, that’s a pretty loose connection, I’m afraid.

good eye is stupendous !

• Like 1

They might not be twins but WS is WOAD part 2 in many ways,that isn't necessarily a good thing or even a bad thing depending on your point of view,WS is as mentioned more themed musically but the vocal experimentation is alive & (sometimes)kicking.

For me it's not a case of loving WS & not WOAD they are both similar,both contain strong parts but neither is a strong whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

They might not be twins but WS is WOAD part 2 in many ways,that isn't necessarily a good thing or even a bad thing depending on your point of view,WS is as mentioned more themed musically but the vocal experimentation is alive & (sometimes)kicking.

For me it's not a case of loving WS & not WOAD they are both similar,both contain strong parts but neither is a strong whole.

i also see a coallation between the two albums- but at different ends of Autumn 

4 hours ago, Blimey said:

I too Belong to the small collective that really enjoys WOAD

Maybe that collective is not as small as you might think.

• Love Love Love! 1

33 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Maybe that collective is not as small as you might think.

There's songs on WOAD I don't like for certain,

but I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who likes Outlaw Pete.

I think also one reason this is so far more accepted is the orchestration; it adds a LOT.

• Like 3

I thought Working was too disjointed as a collection of songs and a found a lot of songs rushed or underdeveloped. I do like a lot of the music on it. I'm also an Outlaw Pete fan. 

• Like 3

I think WOAD sounds like a cheaper 2nd or 3rd grade version of WS when it comes to pretty much anything from sound and orchestration to lyrics and unity of theme. To me WOAD is a lightweighted bunch of pop songs more suitable for release on an out-takes-cd, while WS is a proper album that has a powerful emotional impact.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I thought Working was too disjointed as a collection of songs

That was apparently a little bit like WOAD was meant to be: hearing songs in different musical styles like you are listening to the radio.

Agree it is not a really cohesive album, apart from the superior duo Life Itself and Kingdom Of Days. Maybe not a very good sequenced album too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

That was apparently a little bit like WOAD was meant to be: hearing songs in different musical styles like you are listening to the radio.

Agree it is not a really cohesive album, apart from the superior duo Life Itself and Kingdom Of Days. Maybe not a very good sequenced album too.

Two of the true gems hidden on that album! I've tried playing with the sequence but some of the songs are just too frustratingly weak to save it as an album was my conclusion. It just falls flat against his better albums. That doesn't mean it is a bad album. Save for Human Touch and High Hopes he did very little of those. 

Working on a Dream has some great songs on it (This Life, Life itself, The Wrestler, Kingdom of Days, The Last Carnival and one or two others), but Western Stars just has that magical quality from start to finish of every song being a killer, great production, wonderful singing from Bruce, inspired storytelling, and those superb orchestral arrangements which enhance what are already memorable Springsteen songs to add to his phenomenal songbook.

• Like 5

And Life Itself could be Bruce Springsteen's most underrated song.

I always said Jackson Cage is Bruce Springsteen's most underrated song but maybe I should change my opinion. (I still love Jackson Cage, my 3rd favourite song on The River after the title song and The Price You Pay).

• Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

And Life Itself could be Bruce Springsteen's most underrated song.

I always said Jackson Cage is Bruce Springsteen's most underrated song but maybe I should change my opinion. (I still love Jackson Cage, my 3rd favourite song on The River after the title song and The Price You Pay).

I love Jackson Cage. It's my favorite song on The River.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

I'm ambivalent on both. There are tracks I love on both and also a number of duds on each. They are both very orchestral, so in a sense they are similar. But so was Magic to an extent and it's a brilliant album. Magic and WOAD both played on that Pet Sounds style, but WOAD's content was pretty much the b-sides to Magic. Though WS is orchestral in its own right, it's of a different approach ala Glenn Campbell, Jimmy Webb, Laurel Canyon stuff. I'm not saying it's my take, but I do think its perfectly fine to like one and not the other.