1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I prefer the term ‘mature.’ 

As do I really.  Especially now that I am one of those people, that now to be more polite I like to refer to as "older."

Whenever I'm around someone at work who is Bruce's age I try to be very careful to always use "older" - I'd prefer others referring to me that way too even though the wording doesn't change a damn thing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

As do I really.  Especially now that I am one of those people, that now to be more polite I like to refer to as "older."

Whenever I'm around someone at work who is Bruce's age I try to be very careful to always use "older" - I'd prefer others referring to me that way too even though the wording doesn't change a damn thing.  

You’re right, it sure doesn’t.  But ‘older’ just sounds and feels better than ‘old.’  

I honestly do not know where are the years have gone.  It’s just so weird is all.  

• Like 1

I don't think it is music for old(er) people. Plenty of young 'uns on here who like it and, anyway, I don't think there is any such thing as music for old people, there is just music, in all its glorious variety.

• Like 5

I've loved 'old' music all my life. I remember singing in a Butlin's concert and, although I ended up singing All My Loving, my first choice was Anyone Who Had A Heart.  The two songs I'd sing at school camp were The End Of The World (Skeeter) and In Dreams (Roy). I used to go to the talent contests that were held in Dudhope Park, Dundee and I'd practise at home but was always too shy to enter … I didn't live there but would go to Granny's for my holidays.  I told a pal about it and he had a word with the bloke who compered … I got to sing the day before I went home. My choice of song? It's Over … another Orbison heartbreaker.

I remember singing my heart out to All Alone Am I (Brenda) and being told I was singing the wrong words … nothing changes. I've talked of my love for Andy Williams. :) Favourite radio programme was Sing Something Simple. My dad used to sing Wooden Heart, It's Now Or Never … and We Are Poor Little Sheep. Hey! Mebbies Bruce remembered that song when he wrote about the sheep!

So … if this is why I adore this new album … again, thanks Bruce. x

• Like 4

I actually think Western Stars is probably more accessible to young people than his other solo albums, except for maybe Nebraska. Some of my friends who’ve heard me playing the album have said they like it, and usually they’re telling me to stop playing Bruce. :lol: 

In all honesty though, if the album was ‘targeted’ at the younger demographic, I don’t think it’d make much difference. Most people won’t take notice, because to them Bruce is just some stadium rocker their dad listens to. 

I often post about Bruce on my social media though, and I’ve noticed that a lot of followers that are my age have started to take notice/interact more. I’m not trying to force Bruce on anyone obviously, but it’s nice to see people are realising ‘hey, that guys actually pretty cool’, and yes, he really is. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

stadium rockers were not my dad's cup of tea. however i know he would have loved the river album

mum liked Elvis, dad did not approve 

• Like 1

Mam's favourites were Frankie Vaughan and Frank Ifield … dad's was Mario Lanza. He loved the songs from The Student Prince.

• Like 1

This album is perfect for those of us who have lived some and have had our share of regrets. It's not a matter of age per se, but I think one needs to be mature enough to fully comprehend it. Being an emotional and empathetic person also provides a good foundation for the love of this album. You have to have the ability to get carried away and lose yourself in the memories.

And guts. You also need guts for this one.

• Like 6

On 6/16/2019 at 6:56 PM, Early North Jersey said:

Commercial for the album on the CBS Sunday Morning show. They know their demographic !

So what we're talking about is a TV programme that's for "old people", is that it?

Have there been ads for WS in any other programmes, and if so, which?

There was a moment when I decided that I wasn't in the "older" bracket anymore and owned up to being old. But I feel rather young inside and sometimes am surprised when I see myself in the mirror. Is that really me?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I prefer the term ‘mature.’ 

And in reality .... I'd say the CBS Sunday Morning show is for people who are mature and at least somewhat intelligent .... It also takes a fairly left wing view of things. The old thing was more to get a reaction. :D

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This album is perfect for those of us who have lived some and have had our share of regrets. It's not a matter of age per se, but I think one needs to be mature enough to fully comprehend it. Being an emotional and empathetic person also provides a good foundation for the love of this album. You have to have the ability to get carried away and lose yourself in the memories.

And guts. You also need guts for this one.

Well said Silvia. Its very melancholy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does 'Music For Middle-Aged People' sound better or worse?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Definitely worse. When I hear that, I see some self-satisfied, close-minded trump-voters in my mind's eye.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

I've loved 'old' music all my life.

Me too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

And in reality .... I'd say the CBS Sunday Morning show is for people who are mature and at least somewhat intelligent .... It also takes a fairly left wing view of things. The old thing was more to get a reaction. :D

Yeah I knew what you meant!! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Worse!!!!!!!   

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Let's just settle this and declare that this is music for the intelligent people. ;)

A win-win.

• Love Love Love! 2

It's an album for those who have loved with all the madness in their soul, lost, made mistakes … and still think life is so worth living and still hope. What for, I don't know.

The rest of you will have to muddle through as best you can. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My parents were Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin and Glenn Miller fans.  Because of them I appreciate that music too.  I think if they were still alive they would like this Bruce album a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

More Music for "older" people :)

none of us are that old yet !

3 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Lol .... i was very fond of my Moms Dean Martin albums :)

my sister went to see him when he came to Dunedin

in between the Beatles and  pink only old people came to Dunedin 

they couldnt hear how bad the acoustics were at the Dunedin town hall concert chambers :(

oh wait Cliff Richard did a few times ..

all my old aunties went ! 

• Like 1

One of my Mom's favorite, I can still see her cleaning house while listening to his. 

• Like 4