Today on Fathers Day, I was thinking of Bruce songs my kids have heard, mostly in the car going to and from school. Here are some I recall they liked:

Thunder Road

Born To Run

I’m on Fire (daughter learned to play it on guitar)

Dancing in the Dark

American Skin (41 Shots) - my son’s favorite

A Good Man Is So Hard To Find

Downbound Train

Wrecking Ball

What songs have you passed along to your kids or others?

• Love Love Love! 1

As a teacher I played music in my classroom pretty much all day, every single day. 

As they came in, and for seat work/small group work, it was mostly classical.  For projects it was a bunch of things, including Bruce.  Sunny Day and Janey Don’t You Lose Heart were their favorites for that.  Oh, and Santa Claus in December.  

But my favorite thing (and theirs!) was exercise time.  Seaside Bar Song (they just thought it was called ‘Seaside Song’) every single morning.  Then in the afternoon it was either Talk to Me, Ain’t Good Enough, or Workin’ on the Highway. 

They would’ve loved Badlands, but you know... not giving a damn... not appropriate for elementary school :lol:

Oh... Happy Father’s Day! 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

30 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

As a teacher I played music in my classroom pretty much all day, every single day. 

As they came in, and for seat work/small group work, it was mostly classical.  For projects it was a bunch of things, including Bruce.  Sunny Day and Janey Don’t You Lose Heart were their favorites for that.  Oh, and Santa Claus in December.  

But my favorite thing (and theirs!) was exercise time.  Seaside Bar Song (they just thought it was called ‘Seaside Song’) every single morning.  Then in the afternoon it was either Talk to Me, Ain’t Good Enough, or Workin’ on the Highway. 

They would’ve loved Badlands, but you know... not giving a damn... not appropriate for elementary school :lol:

Thank you!!! I’m also a teacher and play The Rising often as students come in. I teach 6th-8th grade English. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Started em young with Badlands. Fist  pumping and all. I’m goin down is another big one. Devils and Dust. Maria’s Bed. Waiting on a Sunny day.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Forgot to mention... in the late 80s I worked in a classroom for preschoolers with various special needs.  I would tutor/work with a few kids privately as well. 

For about 10 years I worked outside the classroom with a little boy with Down syndrome.  

Speech/sign language, behavior stuff, socialization, etc... a few summers we spent a week together (his family went, but I was his ‘one on one’) in a camp in Maine.  

So early on, I introduced him to lots of different music, and he became OBSESSED with the BITUSA (or ‘BornSA’ as he called it) album.  

Some other songs by other artists would strike his fancy... but NOTHING (and I do mean NOTHING) like the ‘BornSA’ album. 

Cassette in the car at all times; a Bruce video in the house...(try as I might, he was only interested the BITUSA songs) he would mimic Bruce’s every move on every song... down to the ‘sniff’ as Bruce came out from under the car in I’m on Fire...

Worked to my (and his!) advantage as I worked it into his behavior/work/language acquisition plan.  Nothing motivated him more! 

Thank you Bruce!!  :D

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

My son was born in 1981, so The River would be the album he heard most as a baby, probably on a daily basis! However, the first album he was aware of was BITUSA and he still loves everything on this album. Whilst I was thrilled to get the whole of Darkness at Wembley he said shame it's not BITUSA'.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

My youngest was born to 'Hungry Heart' in 2003.  A song she has since mastered on guitar.

None of my children are Bruce fans, though.  They just humour me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 3 are keen on Bruce, all have seen him - my youngest is here because of him (sort of) and loves him to bits.

I sang Pony 'Girl' to Kate the first moment I was alone with her - she and the others were brought up listening to Bruce and the lads … and John Denver et al.

I've passed the baton on and Kate is running with it.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

My 5 month old quite likes my renditions of Atlantic City and My City of Ruins. He also seems to be quite fond of Thunder Road and Born to Run. As he should. He must have heard those quite a few times while still in the womb.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

23 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I don't suppose No surrender would have gone down very well with the Principal - learning more from a three minute record than they ever did in school.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JaneyJaney said:

I don't suppose No surrender would have gone down very well with the Principal - learning more from a three minute record than they ever did in school.    

Yeah, no :lol:

My original Bruce bud who I mentioned in another thread was an English teacher. He used to quote Bob Dylan and Bruce songs alongside poetry. He also set an exam question on 'This Land is Your Land'. I doubt he would get away with that now, but I have met people who were taught by him and he was an inspiring teacher, both to his pupils and his friends.

• Like 1

My French Teacher used to alternate between Jasper Carrot's Funky Moped and the Belgian Jacques Brel by way of a treat from the regular teaching.  

• Like 2

I’m a teacher and I play Bruce all the time and use his lyrics to teach English.

At the end of every year I remind all my students “we learned more from a 3 minute record baby...”

School has a place but some things are more important.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

35 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

My original Bruce bud who I mentioned in another thread was an English teacher. He used to quote Bob Dylan and Bruce songs alongside poetry. He also set an exam question on 'This Land is Your Land'. I doubt he would get away with that now, but I have met people who were taught by him and he was an inspiring teacher, both to his pupils and his friends.

We have middle and HS teachers that still do this kind of thing.  I’ve done a bit of it from time to time, with my third graders, in the ‘what do you think he meant by this’ (some Janey lines) during our poetry unit.  Both for critical thinking skills, and to show that music is poetry. 

Again Ann, he sounds like he was quite special.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

I’m a teacher and I play Bruce all the time and use his lyrics to teach English.

I use The Rising for a one-day lesson on metaphors and figures of speech. Bruce uses so many!!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Is the furnace that isn’t burning a real furnace or does it represent the loss of warmth in the relationship?

Why does the furnace have a female personal pronoun? 

I hope I have passed on more than my share of Bruce songs whether the students liked it or not.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, fadeaway said:

I use The Rising for a one-day lesson on metaphors and figures of speech. Bruce uses so many!!!

That’s awesome!!!!  Janey and Sunny Day were the only things I used with the wee ones, work wise. 

But I ALWAYS had kids work Bruce in when they made up their own word problems in math, for each other to solve... double digit addition (end of year second grade) combining concert totals and such :lol:

And two of my students wrote a bio of Bruce for our biography unit.  They came up with a ton of questions, based on other bios we read, ask me, and then wrote their own... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

But I ALWAYS had kids work Bruce in when they made up their own word problems in math, for each other to solve... double digit addition (end of year second grade) combining concert totals and such :lol:

Hahahaha!! 

Just now, fadeaway said:

Hahahaha!! 

My reaction every time they came to show me on their communicators!!  

• Haha 1

A small sample.  These were for tickets, not shows.  :P

8F6067CC-63FD-4F58-984C-13637CB61151.jpeg

54B9FF65-5ECB-4CF4-BCA9-046705FD700F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

So cute and hilarious.

Looks as though I had the wrong teachers all throughout elementary school.  Jeez.  

• Haha 3

I met a teacher in Anaheim on the Magic tour who said after night one with Morello as a guest all of a sudden his eighth graders the following day thought Bruce was so cool when the teacher disclosed who the special guest was the night before.  

• Like 3