I'm sure there are multiple meanings .... But is memories through the eyes of a widower one of them or am i just being morbid ? :(

• Like 3

Could be.

I reckon he went back for Mary a while back - she'd checked out. This is him back again for another/a last look.

I love how people see this one.

9 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I'm sure there are multiple meanings .... But is memories through the eyes of a widower one of them or am i just being morbid ? :(

That’s how I took it.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Could be.

I reckon he went back for Mary a while back - she'd checked out. This is him back again for another/a last look.

I love how people see this one.

A little early in the game for me still Eileen ... But i don't think i'm going overboard calling this my favorite "solo"album. But favorite in a completely different way than i usually enjoy my Bruce .... It makes me sad .... But there is an empathy there for all of us long time fans as we and him all get older.

While there is certainly nothing on this album that will replace Open All Night, Long Time Comin' and Johnny 99 for me this is  much more relatable for me than an album with serial killers all over it.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s how I took it.   

Its ambiguous ( the best lyrics can usually be interpreted in more than one way ) ....But i think people who are ( ahem ) older and in a long term loving relationship will see it that way ....even if it makes me super uncomfortable to think about. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Too right! (about the serial killers)

All I know is that I can't stop listening to it.

Moonlight Motel is on now - then it's off to bed. A widower, eh?

Awwww …. 

1 minute ago, Early North Jersey said:

A little early in the game for me still Eileen ... But i don't think i'm going overboard calling this my favorite "solo"album. But favorite in a completely different way than i usually enjoy my Bruce .... It makes me sad .... But there is an empathy there for all of us long time fans as we and him all get older.

While there is certainly nothing on this album that will replace Open All Night, Long Time Comin' and Johnny 99 for me this is  much more relatable for me than an album with serial killers all over it.

Yeah, I never look at anything as ‘replacing,’ just welcome additions... 

Eileen and I differ slightly in our interpretations.  We chatted on one of the other threads... I think Mary got in the car; but they fought over nothing and separated... then, she got on the Tucson Train.  

They worked it out (‘caused he’s a good man who changed), built a life, had kids, and now that she’s gone, he’s back at the MM with an older screen door, paying homage and reminiscing.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Its ambiguous ( the best lyrics can usually be interpreted in more than one way ) ....But i think people who are ( ahem ) older and in a long term loving relationship will see it that way ....even if it makes me super uncomfortable to think about. :(

I agree!!  I’m sure Bruce would enjoy all our different scenarios and interpretations... especially as we inject older characters and their stories... 

That particular thought makes me super uncomfortable as well ENJ :( 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eileen said:

She wasn't on the Tucson Train. 

:D

Darn it - I've put it on for one last listen.

Was too! Was too! Was too!!!!!   :lol:

• Haha 3

Just now, Eileen said:

It's better to have loved - he can't say the 'and lost' bit.

Oh dear … it fits in so well.

Pass the hankies.

You just made me tear up.  Again.  Thanks a lot... 

• Bruuuuce! 1

28 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

No that's how I hear it too. It's one of the saddest and at the same time most beautiful things I've heard in some time.

And I've raised a glass to the memory of Dress Sways / Waves Mary, who I think is the loved one being mourned. (Admittedly largely only on the basis of the 'screen door' lyrical reference).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

only on the basis of the 'screen door' lyrical reference

Tonight was the first time I heard him sing the "screen door" lyric. I've been listening out for it on every song and came to the conclusion that he just doesn't sing it on my copy. When I finally heard it I was like "ah, there it is".

• Like 2

If they were married why were they hiding on the backstreets at a motel.  I think they were married to other people.   Is the Moonlight Motel another abandoned beach house?  Terry swore they would live forever but now he's back, much older,  staring at the boarded up motel and accepting it was better to have loved...

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3

1 minute ago, westcoastgirl said:

If they were married why were they hiding on the backstreets at a motel.  I think they were married to other people.   Is the Moonlight Motel another abandoned beach house?  Terry swore they would live forever but now he's back, much older,  staring at the boarded up motel and accepting it was better to have loved...

yes!

i can't stand to think that Mary died

she Married Joe and he calls her May now

i think he's just a lonelly old drifter thinking about his one true love that got away because he fucked up somehow

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

If they were married why were they hiding on the backstreets at a motel.  I think they were married to other people.

That's what I mostly think. Though, I was thinking that the wilted flowers could have been a wedding bouquet, and they went to the motel on their honeymoon. On the flipside, though, it sounds like it was a regular place for them.

In either case, I'm not convinced she's dead, just gone.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

yes!

i can't stand to think that Mary died

she Married Joe and he calls her May now

i think he's just a lonelly old drifter thinking about his one true love that got away because he fucked up somehow

Mary can never die, it is not allowed in our imaginary Springsteen world.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

So the “two young folks” are a newly married couple who stopped by on their honeymoon? After the first chorus, it time jumps as he is talking about the empty pool, rusted fence, and dandelions I would assume? 

The kid and bills line then it says something about valley floor and the dusty screen door which makes me think it’s the owner. Also because he mentions pulling into his old spot as in he used to run the place but then goes on to say he stopped by and it was boarded up. It’s very confusing to me as to who the character is in the song. It’s probably my favorite track off of the album. I love the music and melody. Some times when I listen to it, something about it is very reminiscent of The Wall in my opinion. If anyone can try and clear the confusion up, I’d deeply appreciate it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

i never worry about Mary

she's a surviver

but i am still worried about the returned solider from Devil's arcade 

and i do worry about my friends on the Joad album - that Mary from straight time, i think she walked out  when her hubbie went back to prison

10 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

Sounds nice.  I’m very attached to TR Mary.  

But... 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Sounds nice.  I’m very attached to TR Mary.  

But... 

No buts,  don't worry about Mary per Daisy.  Mary is a Jersey Girl.  

9 minutes ago, Junglelander said:

So the “two young folks” are a newly married couple who stopped by on their honeymoon? After the first chorus, it time jumps as he is talking about the empty pool, rusted fence, and dandelions I would assume? 

The kid and bills line then it says something about valley floor and the dusty screen door which makes me think it’s the owner. Also because he mentions pulling into his old spot as in he used to run the place but then goes on to say he stopped by and it was boarded up. It’s very confusing to me as to who the character is in the song. It’s probably my favorite track off of the album. I love the music and melody. Some times when I listen to it, something about it is very reminiscent of The Wall in my opinion. If anyone can try and clear the confusion up, I’d deeply appreciate it.

It is very confusing.  I'm stuck on the ringing bell across the valley floor.  

• Like 2