Recommended Posts

The third's a toast to the place they used to meet. Before their lives went in different directions.

It was better that they'd loved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still thinking along the lines of younger man/older woman (maybe she was married)/affair. The line, "pulled into my old spot", not "our" old spot ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course any of these could be correct, or none of them.

My take (and I’m sticking to it!) is that the MM was where they went (for any number of reasons... I like to think it was just a once romantic spot) when they were younger.  

He goes back there to reminisce and honor her/them because it was the place they first started their relationship; before they married.  Before reality set in... the bills and kids and kids and bills job responsibilities took over.  

Now she’s passed (so yes, they’re definitely gone their separate ways :D), and he’s honoring their life and the fact it’s better to have loved.  Even when it’s unbearably painful when your beloved is gone.   

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to get around to reading all the lyrics of every song one of these days … but isn't it an album of what-might-have-beens?

If I had the vinyl I would read the lyrics. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking about the line, pulled into my old spot. 

Did the character work at the motel and met the girl there?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I'll have to get around to reading all the lyrics of every song one of these days … but isn't it an album of what-might-have-beens?

If I had the vinyl I would read the lyrics. :)

For a few of the songs, yes.  But not all.  Here’s a VERY quick overview of my take (and I do have the lyrics w/the CD!). 

The first two I think are about being young, seeing the world, going on an adventure, finding your place in the world. 

TT, to me is about reflecting on your mistakes and doing your best to do better to create a happy future.  That’s why I 100% believe she’s on the train.  

WS to me is about appreciation for and making the best of what you have, while being realistic about what is

Sleepy Joe’s is a happy story of Joe and Mae and the escape they created for the locals and tourists to drink and sing and dance and just enjoy life. 

Drive Fast to me is about seeing past the scars (the ones you can see, and the ones we bury) that we all carry; making a commitment, and to just keep moving forward.  

Chasin’ Wild Horses, Nashville, Stones, Miracle   are the ones that to me are the regret/what might have been/I wish things could’ve been different songs. 

Sundown-  Again, some regrets that his behavior has led to his love leaving; also obviously fighting depression. 

Hello Sunshine to me is he’s self aware and acknowledges his ways, but has worked hard to overcome the depression.  

So yes, definitely all a reflection of different parts of the life of the character/characters (some think it’s one narrator/character, others think there are multiple characters), but not necessarily all what might have been type reflections, IMO! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shirlsdins said:

I was just thinking about the line, pulled into my old spot. 

Did the character work at the motel and met the girl there?

Oooo... maybe! Maybe they both did! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Frankie Roberts said:

Definitely a widower.

My mother died last year and this breaks me up at the thought of my dad on his own and looking back on their time together.

I hope and mostly believe I'm wrong but my first impression was the third shot was a very different and much louder kind than the first two.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong

im sorry about your mom

i hope your dad is doing ok even though he must miss her so much

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

My take (and I’m sticking to it!) is that the MM was where they went (for any number of reasons... I like to think it was just a once romantic spot) when they were younger.  

He goes back there to reminisce and honor her/them because it was the place they first started their relationship; before they married.  Before reality set in... the bills and kids and kids and bills job responsibilities took over.  

Now she’s passed (so yes, they’re definitely gone their separate ways :D), and he’s honoring their life and the fact it’s better to have loved.  Even when it’s unbearably painful when your beloved is gone.  

This.  Every line of the song is consistent with this story.
It's a bittersweet end to the album because it tells not of remorse and regrets, not of faithlessness and lies, but ordinary lives lived in love and contentment.  The happiness is tempered by the inevitable fact of death, which was always going to separate them one day.
But .... it's better to have loved.   That's the message.

  • Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shirlsdins said:

I was just thinking about the line, pulled into my old spot. 

 

I love this part so much.  Still the greatest song of the century for me.  

Can't take how good and masterfully constructed it is.  Anyone who wants to take songwriting 101 ought to take a listen to this baby.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rizla said:

This.  Every line of the song is consistent with this story.
It's a bittersweet end to the album because it tells not of remorse and regrets, not of faithlessness and lies, but ordinary lives lived in love and contentment.  The happiness is tempered by the inevitable fact of death, which was always going to separate them one day.
But .... it's better to have loved.   That's the message.

I also interpret the song as such. You have both done a remarkable job putting my thoughts into words.

As for "it's better to have loved"...my greatest fear is having to find out whether that's true or not.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

I also interpret the song as such. You have both done a remarkable job putting my thoughts into words.

As for "it's better to have loved"...my greatest fear is having to find out whether that's true or not.

just to steer the conversation away from the deathly serouse 

i feel quite happy to see your avitar picture again when i open up greasy lake

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Of course any of these could be correct, or none of them.

My take (and I’m sticking to it!) is that the MM was where they went (for any number of reasons... I like to think it was just a once romantic spot) when they were younger.  

He goes back there to reminisce and honor her/them because it was the place they first started their relationship; before they married.  Before reality set in... the bills and kids and kids and bills job responsibilities took over.  

Now she’s passed (so yes, they’re definitely gone their separate ways :D), and he’s honoring their life and the fact it’s better to have loved.  Even when it’s unbearably painful when your beloved is gone.   

 

That is my interpretation too.

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel it depends on your own life and friends life experiences as to how this and most songs are interpreted 

I still feel that MM is a masterpiece as is the whole album :wub:

  • Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

As for "it's better to have loved"...my greatest fear is having to find out whether that's true or not.

I think it is always better to have loved.

Love is not wasted, even if it ends in sadness or pain. It has ennobled you in any case.

What would be the alternative? Go through life indifferent or fearful of giving of yourself because you might be hurt?

Better to have loved

  • Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, whispered secret said:

That is my interpretation too.

Mine too, that's what I felt when I first heard it and still the interpretation I prefer.

Although most of the alternative suggestions I've heard could be equally true, I guess only Bruce knows.

And that's also what makes this is such an incredible song that has generated it's own 11 pages of discussion (so far)

 

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.