Greasy Lake Community

Moonlight Motel

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

This song acoustic played will be a great closer to the up-coming ESB tour. 

And Rhinestone Cowboy will take the place of Shout as the encore closer. 

Love the first half ...Second half not as much lol

To be truthful, if we could only have one I'd much rather have the second !  :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

This song acoustic played will be a great closer to the up-coming ESB tour. 

And Rhinestone Cowboy will take the place of Shout as the encore closer. 

Rhinestone Cowboy, would be amazing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

:D, I see what you did there! 

But no it's kind of what I'm doing right now at my desk. Estimating! Which means guessing. 

im sure your very good at it

Gary once worked for a quantity surveyor - not one job did the boss ever get right 

actually and come to think of it our estimating dept at head office in my last job was absolutely shit at it 

5 hours ago, whispered secret said:

This thread has to be one of the best we have had. I love all the different interpretations - none are right and none are wrong, but thinking about everyone else's ideas has given me a fresh perspective on the song.

At least it will solve that age-old quandary of what to say to Bruce if you should happen to meet him in a bar.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Rizla said:

At least it will solve that age-old quandary of what to say to Bruce if you should happen to meet him in a bar.

Easy … 'Mine's a whiskey & orange, Bruce'. ;)

Edit: 'Please'

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Rizla said:

tequlia?

can i lick the salt of your neck

alas its been done before 

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

I think I've just created a new world record for listening to this song.

i said it over 40 years ago that Bruce Springsteen is a musically genius 

i knew i was right all those years ago and I'm still fuckin' right now..fucking musical genius !

:)

Well there’s a place on a blank stretch of road where nobody travels and nobody goes.This blank stretch was once a Promise. This Promise was created and presented and pointed at by the Poet. This Promise was Thunder Road. It was at Thunder Road the Poet pointed. The promise was that of the way, the truth and the real Life. But the Poet could not go that way by himself, alone. If he did, it would be consumed, be lost. No, just he pointed at Thunder Road, for the sake of us all. If this Promise was to be fulfilled, we would have to fulfill it together. This Promise was given at the place were we were: the Porch. We heard the Promise, we believed that Thunder Road was a possibility.

But now-days we do not believe in the Promise of Thunder Road. This our new world of non-belief stretches out under Western Stars. The Porch, i. e. the place in which we thought, that a better world for us all was possible, is deserted. Now we se, that the Porch was just a place on our own, solitary journey. It was a motel. It was Moonlight Motel. In Moonlight Motel we still believed in the Promise. Now we do not believe any more. Hence we can never go back to Moonlight Motel. We have boarded it up by our non-belief. There exists only ordinary motels in which two young folks only can disappear into themselves.

We have lost We.

So much came in the way: the ordinary life.

Once we was at the Porch: we believed in the Promise; now we see, that we never was at the Porch: we just believed just during a quick stop at Moonlight Motel. Now, when we not any more have a belief in the promise of Thunder Road, it is not possible for us to go to Moonlight Motel. We can only go to a closed Moonlight Motel. This is a Motel opposed to what we once believed in. Where there once stood a sign, saying: This is the land of peace, love, justice, and no mercy, there now is a sign saying: ”Children be careful how you play”. We do not believe in the Promise, but we almost remember the exuberant feeling of believing in it: and so, slowly backwards those memories pass across the valley floor, back over the porch and in behind the screen door to that moment just before the poet gave us the Promise.

But all that is now gone. We can not really remember. We do not remember, that the wind, that now is blowing the covers of our lonely bed, once was promised to be the wind that would blow back our hair when we travelled on Thunder Road; and the covers, well were they not something else, back at the Porch at the edge of Thunder Road? And yes, the road back to what now is the closed Moonlight Hotel is by no means the two blank lanes of Thunder Road; no it is a black road, filled with a cold wind and tumbling leaves.

The Poet could not alone leave the Porch for Thunder Road. This Road was, as we now know, for us all or none. He can not return to the Porch, because we was never there, it never existed. He can not return to Moonlight Motel, since we ar not still there. He can only travel to the boarded up Moonlight Motel.

But by doing so, he forces us to start to remember. We remember the Porch, the Moonlight Motel, The Promise of Thunder Road. We give them all their tribut and know, that even if its a fact, that everything dies, in one way or other it will all come back.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I think I've just created a new world record for listening to this song.

i said it over 40 years ago that Bruce Springsteen is a musically genius 

i knew i was right all those years ago and I'm still fuckin' right now..fucking musical genius !

Do you like the live version as much? 

• Thanks 1

I've filled in a gap in my version.  Like I originally said, they were teenage lovers.  Both living at home with their families, so it was difficult to find opportunities to be alone because of parents or younger siblings being around all the time.  I'm sure lots of people can relate to that ;)

He has a job which involves making deliveries, and one of his regular calls is the Moonlight Motel.  (That's why he calls the parking bay "my old spot" and not "our old spot".)   So he gets to know the deskman and at some point confides in him.  The deskman is sympathetic, and lets the young couple use an unoccupied room now and then, for a reduced rate or perhaps even free.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

I've never heard it yet Neil, never been to the pictures yet.

I am sure you will love it, do you want us to post it for you?

Just posted in the thread Awww... Just cos in the loose end.

The live version doesn't come close to the album version. Hard to say what is missing, it's nicely performed but doesn't have the same emotional punch for me. I also disagree w/Bruce. He made entirely the correct decision leaving Patti off the album! This isn't a slur against her singing voice, although I do dislike her singing voice, just that her vocal parts add very little to the songs, and detract from Moonlight Motel in my very humble opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

The live version doesn't come close to the album version. Hard to say what is missing, it's nicely performed but doesn't have the same emotional punch for me. I also disagree w/Bruce. He made entirely the correct decision leaving Patti off the album! This isn't a slur against her singing voice, although I do dislike her singing voice, just that her vocal parts add very little to the songs, and detract from Moonlight Motel in my very humble opinion.

Tend to agree with you about the live MM....however it's the only song on the soundtrack which is not an upgrade on the original album as far as I am concerned. It is an incredibly beautiful song, I just felt they were all trying too hard on the live version, what with all the pauses at the end between lines etc, to make it even more emotional but it just didn't work as well for me. I do think Patti's vocals on Stones enhances the performance of that great song. 

• Like 5

I loved all of the songs in the film and felt they were enhanced by the live performance and it all built up to Moonlight Motel which I adore but I too felt that it wasn't a patch on the original version. I listened to it on my way home from the second viewing of the film and there is just something about the original album version that is just sheer perfection the phrasing and the tone of his voice is wonderfully haunting 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Tend to agree with you about the live MM....however it's the only song on the soundtrack which is not an upgrade on the original album as far as I am concerned. It is an incredibly beautiful song, I just felt they were all trying too hard on the live version, what with all the pauses at the end between lines etc, to make it even more emotional but it just didn't work as well for me. I do think Patti's vocals on Stones enhances the performance of that great song. 

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering which versions I preferred and I agree with you. The most improved song is, in my opinion, Stones followed closely by Sleepy Joe, which is just crying out to be played live. MM is better on the studio version, again, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Why did not Springsteen perform his new songs on tour? Well, I think a tour centered around this new material was not really possible for an artist of Springsteens kind. The reason, as I see it, is the following. In Western Stars there is no real other. There is no Mary at the porch, no Mister in the valley. The other is lost, is a memory. The porch and the valley are boarded up, i. e. the poet and the other are only in the mind of the poet. That is:  the songs of Western Stars has no place for an audience.

5 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

That is:  the songs of Western Stars has no place for an audience.

Sorry, I don’t agree with this at all.   I’ve no idea what he will decide as far as performing these songs on any future tour; but these songs, IMO most certainly do have a place for an audience.  

• Like 4