34 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

If they were married why were they hiding on the backstreets at a motel.  I think they were married to other people.  

No, I think they were teenage sweethearts who had to steal time together, either because of parental disapproval or simply lack of privacy. 
I like to think that they were together their whole lives - well, hers. 
Nice to have one happy love story, no?  The only sadness is that one has died before the other.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, westcoastgirl said:

It is very confusing.  I'm stuck on the ringing bell across the valley floor.  

Could be the dinner bell, or the front desk bell, or wedding bells (I'm thinking of Mountain of Love for some reason).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

It is very confusing.  I'm stuck on the ringing bell across the valley floor.  

I originally thought he was one of the two young people because the says the “desk man says”. 

By that logic, he definitely doesn’t own or run the place. Maybe he lived there after he fucked his relationship up. But it never alludes to something going wrong just that when he returned (I’m assuming years later) it was all boarded up. I really wish Brice had written it a little clearer

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

No buts,  don't worry about Mary per Daisy.  Mary is a Jersey Girl.  

Well we are tough bunch!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rizla said:

No, I think they were teenage sweethearts who had to steal time together, either because of parental disapproval or simply lack of privacy. 
Nice to have one happy love story, no?  The only sadness is that one has died before the other.

Yeah, I’m all for this scenario!  But I still think it was TR Mary; not Backstreets Terry.  :P

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Yes, it would be nice to have one happy love story.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

I don't get any hint of remorse or regret in Moonlight Motel, so I think they were happy without any major troubles along the way.

48 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

Mary can never die, it is not allowed in our imaginary Springsteen world.  

I don't think Mary (Maria) is going to die, Bruce will keep her alive. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I don't get any hint of remorse or regret in Moonlight Motel, so I think they were happy without any major troubles along the way.

Just Kids and bills .... Bills and Kids

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Same here.  

That’s why I think she died, rather than moved out.   

I think he’s honoring her; thinking about how much he loved her, how good their life was together, and he’s just sad she’s gone. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Just now, Early North Jersey said:

Just Kids and bills .... Bills and Kids

That’s not necessarily remorse... just real life. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I don't think Mary (Maria) is going to die, Bruce will keep her alive. :)

Yes, through his memories, his stories, and possibly through their kids. 

God damn it’s one beautiful song all around. Western Stars the album is an ok album at best in my opinion. This is by far one of the best tracks. Top 3 for sure. If I put them in order of favorites:

Moonlight Motel

Tucson Train

Western Stars

• Bruuuuce! 1

I do have one rather strange thought about this song.  When I first heard it I wondered if it was a metaphor for the E Street Band. The reference to the screen door being dusty  might have given me the thought.  The youthful love, the later family responsibilities, the deaths in the band. I don't know when this song was written but he recently admitted he went for a long time unable to write for the band and it was only recently he discovered, "I'm not fucked!" 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

4 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

I do have one rather strange thought about this song.  When I first heard it I wondered if it was a metaphor for the E Street Band. The reference to the screen door being dusty  might have given me the thought.  The youthful love, the later family responsibilities, the deaths in the band. I don't know when this song was written but he recently admitted he went for a long time unable to write for the band and it was only recently he discovered, "I'm not fucked!" 

Interesting thought.  Even if that’s not what he had in mind when writing it, everything you said relates.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Interesting thought.  Even if that’s not what he had in mind when writing it, everything you said relates.  

It is also the placement of the song.  We go through this glorious experience with him and then it comes to an end, literally. The Jack gets poured on the pavement and the curtain comes down. It gives me the chills.

• Like 4

When I first heard the song, I thought maybe it was the mechanic reminiscing about an affair with the trophy wife from « I’m on Fire ».

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, larf said:

When I first heard the song, I thought maybe it was the mechanic reminiscing about an affair with the trophy wife from « I’m on Fire ».

IDK if they had the affair or not (I get the feeling they didn’t, based on his laugh and expression at the end of the vid) but either way, he walked away... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

IDK if they had the affair or not (I get the feeling they didn’t, based on his laugh and expression at the end of the vid) but either way, he walked away... 

Wait, there’s a vid? What fucking rock have I been living under?

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s not necessarily remorse... just real life. 

I agree rosie, which is why I've thought to myself a lot lately that one word out of many to describe this album for me is "realistic."

I read someone on here say a couple of days ago that they're disenchanted with the album because they don't find it "believable" - something to that effect, charging the big bucks for Broadway, so on and so forth.  Not quibbling with their dislike of the album but when I see stuff written like that it's weird to me because I dunno how believable an album is supposed to be in the fiction cosmos. He has said many a time that most of his music ain't autobiographical, it's fiction coz fiction is part of the job.  So he's still staying true to himself in that sense.  

When I say realistic, it's real by what you just said - he has his own kids and I'm sure higher than high bills over the years spending  a lot of his earned money.  You don't have to be poor to understand bills.  

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 minutes ago, Junglelander said:

Wait, there’s a vid? What fucking rock have I been living under?

:lol:

Here ya go... 

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

:lol:

Here ya go... 

I thought I missed something big like an actual moonlight motel video.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

You don't have to be poor to understand bills.  

Plus his family was dirt poor while he was young; and he himself was on food stamps as a young adult. 

It took him a long time to support himself, longer to be ‘comfortable,’ and longer still to make the big bucks.  

I’m doubting he’s forgotten what it’s like to struggle. 

I’ve never understood the whole problem with him being very wealthy anyway.  He had drive and a vision and works freaking hard at his chosen profession.  Would people rather he was still just playing in house bands in AP?  

Sheesh.  

While sometimes his songs are based on true events (world or personal), or his observations, thoughts, feelings, things he might be going through... many of the stories he tells in and of themselves are by and large, as you said by his own admission, fictional.  

Like it or not, I’m not sure what’s not ‘believable’ about this album.  The themes of the songs certainly are.  

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

6 minutes ago, Junglelander said:

I thought I missed something big like an actual moonlight motel video.

Oh no... no MM vid of which I’m aware!

So sorry for the confusion!  I was responding to larf’s comment about I’m on Fire... 

45 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

He walked away that particular day.  Who knows what happened after. 

• Like 1