11 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I guess the B column I would consider very good.  I don't love them though.  I love the A column and the S column I consider masterpieces.

my-image.png

Slightly off topic but I’ve seen this a few times now. Is this an app? How do you do this?

2 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

It’s a complete mystery why two people can hear the same song and have totally different reactions.  

I honestly can’t say exactly why I love this album so much.  I also couldn’t tell you exactly why I love BTR or Darkness so much either.  I too think of those as masterpieces, and when we say that to one another, we know what we mean.  

But I had a conversation once with someone who said they thought that the BTR album was ‘overrated,’ and they didn’t get what ‘all the fuss’ was about TR and JL (yes, they’re still breathing...).   They said it was a good album, but they preferred WEISS.   

I could give a laundry list of reasons for this one;  the turn of phrase/lyrics, the imagery, the stories, the orchestration/music itself, the way it makes you think, the feelings it evokes, the lines to which you can relate, etc.... and that’s pretty much true of how I feel about ALL of his stuff.   That doesn’t really convey the exact ‘why’ one song/album hits you differently, or means more to you, than another.  

Maybe in time something will change for you with this one, and maybe not.  I know that has happened with some songs over the years.  

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, as in there’s new Bruce out there and I’m glad you like it!! 

Are there any you’d say you ‘love?’  

Good answer.

I don't think I really 'love' any.  Not yet anyway.  I do like Tucson Train, Moonlight Motel, The Wayfarer, Sundown and Western Stars.  Hello Sunshine too.  It's a good album.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

You gave it one more very than me. :D

I called it "very good" yesterday and I don't like to repeat myself :lol: I'm aware you lot have high expectations of me on here so I can't be looking unoriginal hahaha

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I'm with you on all said BD. 

I'd move BITUSA up to the S slot, and High Hopes into the A slot and move Tunnel down into the B slot. and I'm with you there too. 

I've been thinking of moving a couple around actually, but I'm being lazy. :D

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

No of course not.  But 90% of the people here are saying it's a masterpiece.  I am in the minority.

So what. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m genuinely in the masterpiece zone. Don’t make me right.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

So what. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m genuinely in the masterpiece zone. Don’t make me right.

I think she finds it more puzzling than wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Good answer.

I don't think I really 'love' any.  Not yet anyway.  I do like Tucson Train, Moonlight Motel, The Wayfarer, Sundown and Western Stars.  Hello Sunshine too.  It's a good album.

Well, it would be nice if one or more moves into the ‘love’ category  (in the sense that it’s always nice to have more music to ‘love’).  

But if not, and it remains as is, then that’s that! 

I know for myself, everything moved into the next level (and beyond!) with earbuds and reading lyrics as I listened.  Don’t know if you’ve done that yet, or if it will make a difference... 

6 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Well, it would be nice if one or more moves into the ‘love’ category  (in the sense that it’s always nice to have more music to ‘love’).  

But if not, and it remains as is, then that’s that! 

I know for myself, everything moved into the next level (and beyond!) with earbuds and reading lyrics as I listened.  Don’t know if you’ve done that yet, or if it will make a difference... 

I haven't used earphones yet because I haven't gotten that urge like I usually always do.  But I'll let you know if it changes things when I eventually do.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I guess the B column I would consider very good.  I don't love them though.  I love the A column and the S column I consider masterpieces.

my-image.png

Interesting. That’s not bad company for this album. I would have this album a level below all of them at this point.

Its an album about aging so i relate .... and i think i'm a sucker for strings. Also based on my ranking of Bruce's other solo material my expectations were not through the roof.

I think its impressive for a man writing music for 50 years.

I feel like masterpiece is a rating that should be bestowed over time.

But for the moment i am enjoying having new music from one of my favorite artists.

• Like 4

It's number 5 on my list right now of Bruce albums.   Does that make it a masterpeice? I don't know but I can't stop playing it and I enjoy or love every song on it. 

As puzzling as it is for the OP for why people love it so much, it's equally puzzling for me to think a Bruce fan doesn't love it.  But to each their own!  Art is subjective and everyone has an opinion.  

I don't think he'll ever be able to write another album that every fan of his could agree on.  He's just created too many types of music and has fans of all ages so their is never going to be a consensus.  Plus, if he released Born To Run or Darkness tomorrow instead of back then, I guarantee people would nitpick those songs and find their faults as well. 

It's whatever. Your own opinion in the end is all that matters.  

• Like 6

I personally don't like comparing Bruce albums....I believe he has never recorded a bad album with the exception of Human Touch and even that had three great songs on it. I've listed on the other thread the five albums I believe are true masterpiece records from Bruce's (for me incomparable) back catalogue and I firmly believe Western Stars is another one. It's absolutely stunning and from an artist very much in the twilight of his recording career fast approaching his 70th birthday and with 18 albums of his own material behind him to come out with a record as glorious as this one is quite astonishing in my view. Musically it's incredible. Wonderful melodies instrumentation and arrangements and the orchestra and backing musicians just enhance what are already great songs. The cinematic and expansive storytelling is as good as anything he has done since the early 80's. 

If you are going to try to compare Western Stars with any previous Bruce album..which as I say is a bit unfair...it would have to be with his previously released solo albums Nebraska, Tunnel of Love, The Ghost of Tom Joad (he has never bettered the storytelling on that album in my view) and Devils and Dust. The first three of these are to me genuine masterpieces with Devils and Dust an excellent album but perhaps containing two or three songs which would possibly been better to have been left off and maybe lacking in the production stakes. In my honest opinion Western Stars stands comparison with those aforementioned three epics and that is the best tribute I can possibly give this new album.

All about taste though. Music is after all subjective. It just might not be every fans thing and I totally respect the views and opinions of fans who just can't take to Western Stars.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

I’m hearing his other songs in these. Like all of a sudden I hear Queen of the supermarket or something else that I can’t think of at the moment. There are a few songs I like a lot WS for one but not a Great album yet. 

3 minutes ago, judgejudge said:

I’m hearing his other songs in these.

Same here. 

Mary Mary and Hey Blue Eyes from American Beauty for sure. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I personally don't like comparing Bruce albums....I believe has has never recorded a bad album

I don’t either, for a bunch of reasons... and I stopped your quote right there, as I love HT, and think it’s a great album!  :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Mary Mary and Hey Blue Eyes from American Beauty for sure. 

Yes!  Also Hurry Up Sundown.  I love all three.  

Maybe American Beauty is an outtake EP from WS?

14 minutes ago, judgejudge said:

I’m hearing his other songs in these. Like all of a sudden I hear Queen of the supermarket or something else that I can’t think of at the moment. There are a few songs I like a lot WS for one but not a Great album yet. 

Yes, I keep hearing songs from Magic or WOAD both of which I weren't keen on so maybe that explains why this one is lukewarm for me

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

.  I mean most of you are going on and on about how great this is and how you can't get enough of it and how it's bringing tears to your eyes.  Why am I not getting those feelings?

This was bothering me too. Was thinking that there must be something wrong with me, like maybe I had lost that lovin feeling

• Like 1

Hearing someone use somebody else’s song is one thing but hearing Bruce use his same music is a little weird. Especially old stuff now released as new stuff. Huh? Ok he’s Bruce can do as he wishes he earned the right. 

This isn't new though for him.  See further on up the road/Marias bed  for just one example off my head.  I think it was back on the Darkness Box set docu that he talked about his creative process being similar to a car mechanic and taking parts from one song here, a lyric there, and then moving them around to other songs etc. 

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

But I had a conversation once with someone who said they thought that the BTR album was ‘overrated,’ and they didn’t get what ‘all the fuss’ was about TR and JL (yes, they’re still breathing...).   They said it was a good album, but they preferred WEISS.   

This would be me! I'm not even sure BTR would crack my top five. And I was very disappointed to get Jungleland instead of Kitty's Back at that last concert I saw!