32 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Don't agree with you there Paul, but as I know you are someone who is a big music fan,  I fully respect your opinion.

Hope that doesn't sound too patronising it wasn't meant to be !

:)

Always a pleasure to have banter and see other people's opinions. There's no doubt that this is one of the most acclaimed albums of his career. Probably have to go back to The River or Nebraska for other such raves.

Hey John, I think you and I are among the few that love WOAD. We agree on that record, at least.

;)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

He's borrowed a couple of small bits of melody from previous songs recorded many years ago....I really don't see what is wrong with doing that. He's certainly not using old stuff and releasing it as new stuff. Can't agree with that at all.

RE the fans reaction to this album, I just think many fans are pleasantly surprised as how great it is given the stage Bruce is at in his career. It's not just the fans as well. I can't remember a new Springsteen album being so widely acclaimed by the music press and the media in general. Some of them are calling it a masterpiece as well.

Good thing he wasn't formerly on Fantasy records. Because I think Saul Zaentz might have sued him for the stealing the first line of Your Own Worst Enemy for Chasin' Wild Horses.

But its his music and he has every right to lift it. I actually liked the connection. Brought me back to an  album that has some of my all time favorites on it. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I am pondering if maybe something is wrong with my ears or my Bruce love (which I have a lot of).  

I think Western Stars is a good album.  I'll even go as far to say a really good album.  I enjoy many of the songs, the vocals, the lyrics, etc etc etc.  But I just don't get how everyone is calling this a masterpiece.  I'm so happy that Bruce can still produce good music for all of us to enjoy at this later stage in his career.  That he still has it in him.  But for me, I just can't call this a masterpiece.  I could never compare this to a BTR or Darkness, when I feel he was at the height of his career.  I mean most of you are going on and on about how great this is and how you can't get enough of it and how it's bringing tears to your eyes.  Why am I not getting those feelings?  I'm not a 'casual fan', so I don't understand.  I mean really, you can all put these songs right up there with Thunder Road, Jungleland, NYCS, Sandy (to just name a few)?  What am I not hearing?  Anyway, I don't think I would put this album in my top 5 let alone number 1.  I'm missing something I guess.

Hi @BrilliantDisguise  I think you've summed up my own views perfectly.  I do love the album and some of the songs a lot but for me it would sit about half way along the tier list and could not outrank BTR,WIESS or Darkness.  Perhaps we're just a bit too polite to mention it to date. :) or haven't listened enough!

• Like 1

Thank you for all your views on this.  As @Promise61has said, it's nice to have different opinions to discuss with all you wonderful people in a respectful way.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

It's all about the timing. Sooner or later, we end up loving all of his albums. :)

When D&D was released I was at home with my just over one month old newborn, and a toddler of 18 months. I don't think I need to go into further details... It was a challenge.

One afternoon my husband brought me the CD, knowing I was a fan. A lovely gesture, had I not been sleep deprived and an emotional wreck, due to the hormones..

Anyhow.. I put the CD on, and the moment he felt his stomach tighten, I felt my stitches tighten, pressed stop and hadn't listened to D&D album for quite a long period... Until one random afternoon drive, when I realised  Reno was a beautiful and a heartbreaking love song.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

why hello .......:lol:

my name is Nicky and i have gone (forever actually) upwards of 17000 days since ive had be some live kitty 

Welcome to my world but you can add even more days....

3 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

But its his music and he has every right to lift it. I actually liked the connection. Brought me back to an  album that has some of my all time favorites on it. :)

This is another reason I love it so much - lots of favourite snatches of tunes in there … and words lifted from the 'classics'. Well done, Bruce.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

words lifted from the 'classics'. Well done, Bruce.

The more I listen, the more I find other words or phrases.  Love it! 

(I thought of one when I woke up this am, but FFS, cannot remember it now!  Hope it comes back, I was rather pleased with myself at that moment :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I'm with you. It's nothing like a masterpiece. Half of it is great, half of it isn't. The clever move was to drench it all in strings and horns. Smoke and mirrors. If these songs were presented with just Bruce, piano and geetar there would be a vastly different record.  

I don’t agree with that.

I do think the strings elevate some songs, or at least part of them. The bit where they kick in on Western Stars is one example of that. Likewise on Chasin Wild Horses.

Where they are literally all over it like on The Wayfarer I’m less keen. Likewise Miracle if it’s just taken as a song by itself. 

I like it so much for the songs themselves. They just connect for me far better than those on Devils which, apart from a few, just felt forced. Almost like an exercise in song writing. 

I said it somewhere else, but on this record I feel like he fell back in love with songwriting again. 

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Silvia said:

It's all about the timing. Sooner or later, we end up loving all of his albums. :)

It’s so funny you say that... a long time, die-hard Bruce bud of mine asked me about WS (she’s been working and hadn’t had time to listen). 

So as we’re discussing reactions to specific songs and the overall reactions to the album, when I mentioned that some songs didn’t grab me at first, but after a few listens, I love them. 

She says, oh, like The River album?  I’m like wait. What????  I’ve known her since 1980, went to my first and several other Bruce shows, including B’way, had ENDLESS discussions about Bruce, and never knew she didn’t initially like much about The River.  

That changed very quickly (so quickly I had no idea!!) and it’s been among her favorites for decades.  

• Like 3

There's no point in disecting why you like or don't like an album. It either hits the right spots for you or doesn't, For me it hits all the right spots to make it straight into the top 5 of springsteen albums, something that hasn't happened to me with bs since tol.  I think the strong melancholic tunes & lyrics may have something to do with it.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, MacBruce said:

He's borrowed a couple of small bits of melody from previous songs recorded many years ago....I really don't see what is wrong with doing that. He's certainly not using old stuff and releasing it as new stuff. Can't agree with that at all.

RE the fans reaction to this album, I just think many fans are pleasantly surprised as how great it is given the stage Bruce is at in his career. It's not just the fans as well. I can't remember a new Springsteen album being so widely acclaimed by the music press and the media in general. Some of them are calling it a masterpiece as well.

Do you recall him saying that this is stuff  he recorded  recently. In the last 2,3,4 years ? Or this is stuff that came out of the woad work he did. I don’t recall him saying the woad work was inspired by Glen or Burt or that time period that inspired these songs 7 approximately years ago. No mention of outtakes . Don’t think outtakes sell well. Yes still wonderful to hear new songs he and Jon decided to sell. The imagery and music and lyrics are Magic 

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

:)

Always a pleasure to have banter and see other people's opinions. There's no doubt that this is one of the most acclaimed albums of his career. Probably have to go back to The River or Nebraska for other such raves.

Hey John, I think you and I are among the few that love WOAD. We agree on that record, at least.

;)

I do.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

It’s so funny you say that... a long time, die-hard Bruce bud of mine asked me about WS (she’s been working and hadn’t had time to listen). 

So as we’re discussing reactions to specific songs and the overall reactions to the album, when I mentioned that some songs didn’t grab me at first, but after a few listens, I love them. 

She says, oh, like The River album?  I’m like wait. What????  I’ve known her since 1980, went to my first and several other Bruce shows, including B’way, had ENDLESS discussions about Bruce, and never knew she didn’t initially like much about The River.  

That changed very quickly (so quickly I had no idea!!) and it’s been among her favorites for decades.  

So songs I just didn't really like on the first listen, but as you say they grow on you.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

21 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I am pondering if maybe something is wrong with my ears or my Bruce love (which I have a lot of).  

I think Western Stars is a good album.  I'll even go as far to say a really good album.  I enjoy many of the songs, the vocals, the lyrics, etc etc etc.  But I just don't get how everyone is calling this a masterpiece.  I'm so happy that Bruce can still produce good music for all of us to enjoy at this later stage in his career.  That he still has it in him.  But for me, I just can't call this a masterpiece.  I could never compare this to a BTR or Darkness, when I feel he was at the height of his career.  I mean most of you are going on and on about how great this is and how you can't get enough of it and how it's bringing tears to your eyes.  Why am I not getting those feelings?  I'm not a 'casual fan', so I don't understand.  I mean really, you can all put these songs right up there with Thunder Road, Jungleland, NYCS, Sandy (to just name a few)?  What am I not hearing?  Anyway, I don't think I would put this album in my top 5 let alone number 1.  I'm missing something I guess.

Agree 100%

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I was afraid that the news of new ESB songwriting and a likely impending ESB album/tour would take the spotlight off of "Western Stars".

Today I am afraid that the exact opposite has occurred.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

sometimes its not about logic its about the heart

I love this!

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

the older man is wiser but stuff hurts a lot different to the pain of a younger man, but that pain  of the older man is no less worthy or noble, its just different likewise we need to remember the pain of being young 

And this. :(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

A few weeks ago, I was afraid that the news of new ESB songwriting and a likely impending ESB album/tour would take the spotlight off of "Western Stars".

Today I am afraid that the exact opposite has occurred.

This is a problem, no matter which you want the most.  I don't think they knew what they had with WS.  They may know what they have with the new songs for the band.  I imagine Jon Landau is somewhere trying to figure out how to handle Bruce's apparent renaissance.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

This is a problem, no matter which you want the most.  I don't think they knew what they had with WS.  They may know what they have with the new songs for the band.  I imagine Jon Landau is somewhere trying to figure out how to handle Bruce's apparent renaissance.  

In a way this is reminiscent of what happened with the Seeger Sessions CD, at least here in Europe. I'm quite certain that Bruce and Landau did not know what they had when they released the album; in quite a short while it became the 2nd bestselling of Bruce's albums in Norway ever, and the sales in Norway were about 10% of the total worldwide sales. Don't think that will happen with WS, but nonetheless it has come as somewhat of a surprise to many, including me. Not as much as a pleasant surprise as Seeger was, but a good 2nd.

• Like 4

On 6/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

I think Western Stars is a good album.  I'll even go as far to say a really good album.  I enjoy many of the songs, the vocals, the lyrics, etc etc etc.  But I just don't get how everyone is calling this a masterpiece.  

Overzealous die-hard fans...It happens with any artist's fan base. It's understandable. It's hard for many devoted fans to look at their favorite artist's work without impartiality or objectivity. This isn't a masterpiece. It's the work of an aging singer/songwriter who is just staying true to his station in life, & I think it's a good thing. Why would you want to be writing another 'Thunder Road', or 'Cadillac Ranch', or  'Dancing in the Dark'...things you wrote in your 20s & 30s on the cusp of your 70th birthday?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JustDan said:

Why would you want to be writing another 'Thunder Road', or 'Cadillac Ranch', or  'Dancing in the Dark'...things you wrote in your 20s & 30s at age 69?

This. Why do so many people want Bruce or any artist to sound like they did 40+ years ago? Those artists that do this tend to look like jokes. Older men and women in their 50s, 60s, and 70s trying to act like they're in their 20s and 30s starts to look really pathetic.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Troublette said:

This. Why do so many people want Bruce or any artist to sound like they did 40+ years ago? Those artists that do this tend to look like jokes. Older men and women in their 50s, 60s, and 70s trying to act like they're in their 20s and 30s starts to look really pathetic.

I don't.  I don't think he ever could anyway.  I'm just having a hard time wondering why or how so many are calling this a masterpiece.

22 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Overzealous die-hard fans...It happens with any artist's fan base.

I don't see how it's remotely an overzealous thing when WOAD got shredded and lots of people, including here, have said Bruce hasn't moved them in years and years.  This they love.

It's all just taste.  

• Like 4