stillilllife

How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got and when was he at his best songwriting-wise?

1. How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got? 2. When was Bruce at his best songwriting-wise?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. 1. How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got?

2. 2. 2. When was Bruce at his best songwriting-wise?

• 1973 - 1984
    • 1987 - 1996
    • 2002 - 2019

The Getting this out there thread inspired this one.

1. How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got? List them in this thread.
2. When was he at his best songwriting-wise (yes, I'm aware that the options are arbitrary)?

• Like 1

1973-1984.

4: WIESS, Born To Run, Darkness, Tunnel.

Some bonus points for Tunnel for the perfect sequencing,

• Like 3

I'd say 73 - 87 is the Golden Era, but aye, 73 - 84 suffices. 

Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town are his two magnum opuses. 

And now I'm gonna go off on a tangent. 

Nebraska and Tunnel of Love are sublime concept albums, but quite aren't on BTR and Darkness' level. 

The River era presented a lot of my favourite songs and is my personal favourite, however the final product of the album itself has its highs and lows, that the two masterpieces don't. Even Tracks disc 2, a shout for my third favourite Springsteen CD, has "Born in the U.S.A." and "Mary Lou", which take me out of my nirvana when listening. 

With Western Stars it's way too early to tell, but honestly, I feel like there's a dip in quality after the first five songs - which I all love. 

Greetings has "The Angel and "Mary Queen of Arkansas".

WIESS could potentially be considered a masterpiece/ has the potential to be on the highest level, but "The E Street Shuffle" has never enamoured me. 

Born in the U.S.A. is "weak" following track 1 up to the beginning of track 5. 

Magic, for my money, doesn't have a bad song on it, but no song compares to anything from 1975 or 1978. "You'll Be Coming Down" or "Backstreets"? Hmmmmmm...

It took me listening to three live Joad shows to even start liking a couple of the songs on there bar the title track and "Youngstown".

Human Touch, Lucky TownWorking on a DreamWrecking Ball, SeegerHigh Hopes and The Rising all have several songs on that I love/think are excellent, but all have their weak spots, which Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town don't.

Did I miss an album?

EDIT: I forgot Devils and Dust. It kinda falls into the last sentence, but similarly to Joad, it took me listening to multiple live shows to start liking some of the songs. 

• Like 3

BTR, Darkness, The River, TOL

1973-84.

As of now I see no votes for 2002-19 haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

BTR, Darkness, The River, TOL

1973-84.

As of now I see no votes for 2002-19 haha

Hit "refresh." :)

22 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Did I miss an album?

Devils & Dust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Well that says it all about Devils and Dust doesn't it? 

Yes, sadly.

Some good songs on it: title song, the very underrated Maria's Bed, Leah and Reno. And 1 very good song, Long Time Coming.

All The Way Home is much better in Southside Johnny''s version and the few acoustic live versions from 1992-1993.

Now that is something for Tracks 2: an early 90s original acoustic, or semi-acoustic, studio recording of All The Way Home (If it exists, as the song was given away to Southside after all).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Yes, sadly.

Some good songs on it: title song, the very underrated Maria's Bed, Leah and Reno. And 1 very good song, Long Time Coming.

All The Way Home is much better in Southside Johnny''s version and the few acoustic live versions from 1992-1993.

Now that is something for Tracks 2: an early 90s original acoustic, or semi-acoustic, studio recording of All The Way Home (If it exists, as the song was given away to Southside after all).

Yes, Maria's bed is one of my favorites from the album together with Long time comin' and the title track.

• Love Love Love! 2

For the love of God....:wacko:....Who voted 2002-2019...?... That's like saying Elvis Presley was better in the 70s than the 50s-early 60s....Suggesting Springsteen's recorded output within the last 17 years is superior to records such as BTR, Darkness, Nebraska???

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Early years were the best songwriting-wise. I see 4 masterpieces. WIESS, Born to Run, Darkness, Magic. For their genre, I could see Nebraska being in that category and GOTJ would be in there if I could hear any of the instrumentation in the songs. Tunnel of Love is interesting, but there are a few songs that just don’t cut it for me. I think song for song, Magic is better than Darkness but it’s top tier songs are not quite to the level of the top tier Darkness songs. That said, Darkness has more songs that can really irritate me if I’m not in the mood for them.

• Like 1

Bruce was at his songwriting peak between 1973 and 1982. He churned out great songs by the barrowload back then, and whilst, unbelievably, even in the last 10 years he is still putting lots out,  it has not been on the same scale as back then in terms of quantity. That's only natural for any songwriter.

I've said and believed for years and still firmly maintain that Bruce has written and recorded five masterpiece albums in his career...Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad. With Western Stars...make that now six.

• Love Love Love! 1

WIESS is very close to being a masterpiece except Wild Billy's takes it off the list for me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Bruce was at his songwriting peak between 1973 and 1982. He churned out great songs by the barrowload back then, and whilst, unbelievably, even in the last 10 years he is still putting them out,  it has not in the same scale as back then in terms of quantity and quality. That's only natural for any songwriter

I've said and believed for years and still firmly maintain that Bruce has written and recorded five masterpiece albums in his career...Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad. With Western Stars...make that now six.

I'd probably substitute Joad or Tunnel out for BUSA. But it's apples to oranges.

5 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Bruce was at his songwriting peak between 1973 and 1982. He churned out great songs by the barrowload back then, and whilst, unbelievably, even in the last 10 years he is still putting lots out,  it has not been in the same scale as back then in terms of quantity. That's only natural for any songwriter.

We have the same list apart from my WIESS.

25 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Early years were the best songwriting-wise. I see 4 masterpieces. WIESS, Born to Run, Darkness, Magic. For their genre, I could see Nebraska being in that category and GOTJ would be in there if I could hear any of the instrumentation in the songs. Tunnel of Love is interesting, but there are a few songs that just don’t cut it for me. I think song for song, Magic is better than Darkness but it’s top tier songs are not quite to the level of the top tier Darkness songs. That said, Darkness has more songs that can really irritate me if I’m not in the mood for them.

finally someone remembers Magic !

id have Magic right up there with BTR and Darkness 

not sure you can have Nebraska without BITUSA as they are non identical twins born to the same parents 

definatly GOTJ 

35 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

WIESS is very close to being a masterpiece except Wild Billy's takes it off the list for me.  

That was Bruce's throwaway song for that great album...a trait he has done with every album in my opinion.

I still love the song though.

• Like 4

Three for me: WIESS, BTR and Darkness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

Yes, Maria's bed is one of my favorites from the album together with Long time comin' and the title track.

Love Maria’s Bed, Long Time Comin’, Leah, and All The Way Home.  Others I like a lot, but those are my faves, and the ones listen to constantly.  

• Like 1

I voted three masterpieces (Darkness, The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle, and Nebraska) (too soon for me to say for Western Stars, and no I don't consider Born To Run a masterpiece; I'd also put Greetings above it, despite it having poor production too)

And his best years by FAR the early ones, but not through Born In The U.S.A.

77-80 is the golden era with the promise, doteot, tracks disc 2 and the river. Thats about 40 great songs penned. 

1 hour ago, japaneseguitar said:

77-80 is the golden era with the promise, doteot, tracks disc 2 and the river. Thats about 40 great songs penned. 

Some songs on The Promise and Darkness were allready written a lit bit earlier, in 1976.

And Frankie, The Promise, Rendezevous and Something In The Night were allready played live in 1976.

But that is alittle bit techinical discussion.

I wanted to just vote for how many masterpieces, without voting for an arbitrary era,  but as I  have to vote in both sections, I will give this poll a miss.

• Like 4