stillilllife

How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got and when was he at his best songwriting-wise?

1. How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got? 2. When was Bruce at his best songwriting-wise?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. 1. How many studio album masterpieces has Bruce got?

2. 2. 2. When was Bruce at his best songwriting-wise?

• 1973 - 1984
    • 1987 - 1996
    • 2002 - 2019

73 -84

BTR, Darkness, The River, Nebraska, BITUSA.

2 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I wanted to just vote for how many masterpieces, without voting for an arbitrary era,  but as I  have to vote in both sections, I will give this poll a miss.

What era would you pick (one year - another year) if you could decide the years yourself?

55 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

What era would you pick (one year - another year) if you could decide the years yourself?

I cant pick a year/years which is why I didn't want to vote for that section. I think he has written brilliant songs throughout his entire career, up to and including Western Stars.

• Like 4

I notice ‘0’ is not an option… I think Bruce has made some very very good albums. Some truly great albums. I don’t know that I could honestly refer to any of them as a masterpiece… All his albums have many good songs and some really really great songs. But each one has moments I could miss or parts that just don’t quite make the grade, for me.

With a gun to my head I could maybe list albums I’d consider a ‘masterpiece’ on one hand. Miles Davis and Pink Floyd might be included on that list, perhaps. Maybe Dylan or The Beatles. But not Bruce, as much as I love him and his music.

What makes me love WS so much, and why I think it really does rank up there as one of his truly great albums, is the cohesiveness of it. Nothing jarring, no songs I wish were not on it. A perfect flow start to finish. I genuinely don’t recall when last I spent days listening to one album over and over as I have with this one. I think the last time I did it with a Springsteen album was probably TOL. And, surprisingly, possibly Tracks CD4, now I think about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I notice ‘0’ is not an option… I think Bruce has made some very very good albums. Some truly great albums. I don’t know that I could honestly refer to any of them as a masterpiece… All his albums have many good songs and some really really great songs. But each one has moments I could miss or parts that just don’t quite make the grade, for me.

With a gun to my head I could maybe list albums I’d consider a ‘masterpiece’ on one hand. Miles Davis and Pink Floyd might be included on that list, perhaps. Maybe Dylan or The Beatles. But not Bruce, as much as I love him and his music.

What makes me love WS so much, and why I think it really does rank up there as one of his truly great albums, is the cohesiveness of it. Nothing jarring, no songs I wish were not on it. A perfect flow start to finish. I genuinely don’t recall when last I spent days listening to one album over and over as I have with this one. I think the last time I did it with a Springsteen album was probably TOL. And, surprisingly, possibly Tracks CD4, now I think about it.

but but but but but but but ...

what about Darkness......?

16 hours ago, badlands78 said:

BTR, Darkness, The River, TOL

1973-84.

As of now I see no votes for 2002-19 haha

Same thoughts and vote. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I cant pick a year/years which is why I didn't want to vote for that section. I think he has written brilliant songs throughout his entire career, up to and including Western Stars.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. I think he has also written songs that are not very good throughout his career. I don't think I'm able to vote in this poll...

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I feel the exact same way.  So no vote for me either. 

41 minutes ago, *Janey* said:

That's pretty much how I feel as well. I think he has also written songs that are not very good throughout his career. I don't think I'm able to vote in this poll...

I definitely agree that he has written both great and not very good songs throughout his career. Simply put the question is really about how many percent of the output in each of the three eras that you consider to be more than not very good. The era with the highest percentage of good - great songs is the one I vote for. 

• Like 1

Born To Run and Darkness are his two unquestionable masterpieces. WIESS, Nebraska and Tunnel are near masterpieces, but just lack that...something. Personally, I like WIESS and Tunnel more than BTR, but BTR is the masterpiece of the three.

Songwriting high? Weeeeeell...73 to 84.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

I definitely agree that he has written both great and not very good songs throughout his career. Simply put the question is really about how many percent of the output in each of the three eras that you consider to be more than not very good. The era with the highest percentage of good - great songs is the one I vote for. 

Understood.  That’s how I took it. 

And when I actually thought about it, album by album it’s still too many (for me, in my opinion) very good/great to only ok/not very good, all throughout.  From Greetings to WS; including outtakes, Tracks and American Beauty.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Understood.  That’s how I took it. 

And when I actually thought about it, album by album it’s still too many (for me, in my opinion) very good/great to only ok/not very good, all throughout.  From Greetings to WS; including outtakes, Tracks and American Beauty.   

Yes! Just cannot vote… 

• Love Love Love! 1

8 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

That's a good point, I also listen to WS from start to finish, just about every time. It just seems natural, think I've skipped back once, just to listen to the title track one more time. 

I usually listen to albums from start to finish the first two or three times, but then I start skipping around. I too think Tunnel was the last album I listened to consistently from start to finish for a long time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

. I too think Tunnel was the last album I listened to consistently from start to finish for a long time. 

Apart from the greatness of the album and the perfect sequence: maybe also because it was the last album of the vinyl age? It is so much easier to skip songs on CD than vinyl (not to mention skip songs on albums taped on cassettes  ( Not now but long ago)).

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

73-84

Born to Run

Darkness on the Edge of Town

This. Though I could be convinced to squeak WIESS in too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Apart from the greatness of the album and the perfect sequence: maybe also because it was the last album of the vinyl age? It is so much easier to skip songs on CD than vinyl (not to mention skip songs on albums taped on cassettes  ( Not now but long ago)).

I don’t think you’re far off the mark with the vinyl thing, actually...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

I've totally forgotten about that, not having the albums on CD and not being able to skip... yeah, that's probably the main reason for listening to albums all the way through all the time, I had all the albums on cassette up to and including Tunnel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I've totally forgotten about that, not having the albums on CD and not being able to skip... yeah, that's probably the main reason for listening to albums all the way through all the time, I had all the albums on cassette up to and including Tunnel.

Ugh, skipping on cassettes was worse than albums!  

Easiest thing now is to make my own playlists. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MacBruce said:

That was Bruce's throwaway song for that great album...a trait he has done with every album in my opinion.

I still love the song though.

What song on BTR would you consider a throwaway?

27 minutes ago, Tim1218 said:

....And Darkness, Nebraska, BUSA (NOT Cover Me, Darlington County), Tunnel (all songs essential to the album and the sequence), Lucky Town (NOT The Big Muddy), Magic?

The historical definition of masterpiece is:

A piece of work by a craftsman accepted as qualification for membership of a guild as an acknowledged master.

By that definition, an artist (as a craftsman) can really only have one true masterpiece. IMO, Born to Run is Bruce's. Given that, though, I like Darkness and WIESS better than BTR.

But I agree that he has written excellent songs his entire career, so I can't vote either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim1218 said:

Yep...I now realise throwaway was the wrong term to use and I didn't explain what I meant very well. What I meant to say is that on several of his albums I think he throws in a song which is kind of out of sync with the rest of the album, something which I think he does to lighten the atmosphere of the record if it is quite heavy going. I'm thinking of the likes of My Best was never good enough on TGOTJ, Sleepy Joe's Cafe on Western Stars, Surprise Surprise on WOAD, Wild Billy on WIESS, and Open all night on Nebraska.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 6:00 PM, JustDan said:

For the love of God....:wacko:....Who voted 2002-2019...?... That's like saying Elvis Presley was better in the 70s than the 50s-early 60s....Suggesting Springsteen's recorded output within the last 17 years is superior to records such as BTR, Darkness, Nebraska???

giphy.gif

I was with ya up until the Elvis example... you can’t say that he still didn’t kick ass in the 70s:

• Like 1