i read how people are not influenced by Bruce Springsteen politically but discovering this album and reading the grapes of wrath (we didn't read it in school here) and a book called some place like America, softened some of my hard line conservative views and i joined the union which is something i would never ever have done

i think it was because the album spoke to me softly and was not screamed at me 

and it saying that i still love full band Youngstown 

2 minutes ago, Mack boy said:

... and getting both Monongahela and Appalachia  in a lyric, just genius 

it  inspired me to learn some American history 

i know those people on the darkness record are my peoope but i also know the people on Joad are also some of the same

i like Galveston bay because its the one wee glimmer of hope in the album

i desperately want to go listen to it now

but i have alot of self imposed rules in my fandom and i don't listen to Joad in the winter because i recognize its not good for (my) mental health :lol:

where is @Tom-Joad ?

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:14 AM, Captain Chaos said:

The songs are brilliant short stories.

It contains 3 of his greatest ever songs in the title track, Youngstown and Across The Border. It’s thematically compact and creates its own world by being so.

He believed in the album and that’s not something I’ve always thought or felt post Tunnel.

The lyrics and stories are spellbinding.

It’s an incredible listen if you’re in the mood for it.

One last thing. Dry Lightning. 

im.not sure if its you or not ?

but i feel like we have discused this album in a past life ?

i hope your who i think you are 

because the person im thinking of loved this album and i often think of him and wounder how his life turned out

if not - well another Joad buddy is always welcome

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

where is @Tom-Joad ?

I don’t have a lot to say here. I was 13 when it came out, 14 when I bought it. I’ve said this here before but it really helped lay the groundwork for my political positioning. 

In terms of storytelling, I think it’s Bruce's best album by far. I also don’t get the criticism about the musicality of it because I think it fits perfectly the themes and words. Even the way the harmonica cuts through the rest on the title track seems to serve a purpose here. 

Apart from My Best... all the other songs have been my favourite at one time or another. More than 25 years later, they all stand the test of time better than probably any other Bruce record since Nebraska. That’s why I don’t understand the band treatments of TGOTJ and Youngstown. Youngstown is ok-ish, I guess when played by the E Street Band but it loses all nuance, all the subtlety and, somehow, it even loses its real anger. The band reinvention of TGOTJ is, I think an abomination of nature that should never have seen the light of day. I’m yet to see a Bruce song made better by Morello.

I’m not one to convince people to like albums or songs. You like what you like and this one is very near perfect in my opinion. A better closing song would make it flawless. When I start thinking about standout songs I always end up making a list of all of them. 

Music is about emotion and I have a very deep emotional connection with TGOTJ. Even if I’ve never visited any of those places. I think it kick started my journey into adulthood.

Turns our I did have quite a lot to say! I just feel like I’ve been saying a lot on this board lately and some others have said pretty much the same thing better than me on this thread.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

"The Ghost of Tom Joad"

"Highway 29"

"Youngstown"

"Dry Lightning"

"The New Timer"

So, so good when you're depressed...:wub:

Selections from "Highway 29":

"In a little desert motel, the air it was hot and clean
I slept the sleep of the dead, I didn't dream
I woke in the morning washed my face in the sink
We headed into the Sierra Madres 'cross the borderline
The winter sun, shot through the black trees
I told myself it was all something in her
But as we drove I knew it was something in me
Something had been comin' for a long long time
And something that was here with me now
On highway twenty nine"

"Dry Lightning":

"I'd drive down to Alvarado street
Where she danced to make ends meet
I'd spend the night over my gin
(Love how his voice kinda cracks on this part)
As she'd talk to her men

Well the piss yellow sun
Comes bringin' up the day
She said "ain't nobody gonna give nobody
What they really need anyway"
Well you get so sick of the fightin'
You lose your fear of the end"

The New Timer:

They found him shot dead outside Stockton
His body lyin' on a muddy hill
Nothin' taken, nothin' stolen
Somebody killed him just to kill

Late that summer I was rollin' through the plains of Texas
A vision passed before my eyes A small house sittin' trackside
With the glow of the saviours beautiful light
A woman stood cookin' in the kitchen
Kid sat at the table with his old man

Now I wonder does my son miss me
Does he wonder where I am

My Jesus your gracious love and mercy
Tonight I'm sorry could not fill my heart
Like one good rifle And the name of who I ought to kill

That last verse, the way his voice cracks on it...that last line, chilling. :wub:

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, BossFan4Life said:

"The Ghost of Tom Joad"

"Highway 29"

"Youngstown"

"Dry Lightning"

"The New Timer"

So, so good when you're depressed...:wub:

Selections from "Highway 29":

"In a little desert motel, the air it was hot and clean
I slept the sleep of the dead, I didn't dream
I woke in the morning washed my face in the sink
We headed into the Sierra Madres 'cross the borderline
The winter sun, shot through the black trees
I told myself it was all something in her
But as we drove I knew it was something in me
Something had been comin' for a long long time
And something that was here with me now
On highway twenty nine"

"Dry Lightning":

"I'd drive down to Alvarado street
Where she danced to make ends meet
I'd spend the night over my gin
(Love how his voice kinda cracks on this part)
As she'd talk to her men

Well the piss yellow sun
Comes bringin' up the day
She said "ain't nobody gonna give nobody
What they really need anyway"
Well you get so sick of the fightin'
You lose your fear of the end"

The New Timer:

They found him shot dead outside Stockton
His body lyin' on a muddy hill
Nothin' taken, nothin' stolen
Somebody killed him just to kill

Late that summer I was rollin' through the plains of Texas
A vision passed before my eyes A small house sittin' trackside
With the glow of the saviours beautiful light
A woman stood cookin' in the kitchen
Kid sat at the table with his old man

Now I wonder does my son miss me
Does he wonder where I am

My Jesus your gracious love and mercy
Tonight I'm sorry could not fill my heart
Like one good rifle And the name of who I ought to kill

That last verse, the way his voice cracks on it...that last line, chilling. :wub:

very well said BossFan4Life

its just sublime 

im pretty sure the new timer is based on a real person but i cant quite temember tonight

1 hour ago, Tom-Joad said:

The band reinvention of TGOTJ is, I think an abomination of nature that should never have seen the light of day. I’m yet to see a Bruce song made better by Morello.

My sentiments exactly, excepting the outro on Jack of all trades.

1 hour ago, Tom-Joad said:

I don’t have a lot to say here. I was 13 when it came out, 14 when I bought it. I’ve said this here before but it really helped lay the groundwork for my political positioning. 

In terms of storytelling, I think it’s Bruce's best album by far. I also don’t get the criticism about the musicality of it because I think it fits perfectly the themes and words. Even the way the harmonica cuts through the rest on the title track seems to serve a purpose here. 

Apart from My Best... all the other songs have been my favourite at one time or another. More than 25 years later, they all stand the test of time better than probably any other Bruce record since Nebraska. That’s why I don’t understand the band treatments of TGOTJ and Youngstown. Youngstown is ok-ish, I guess when played by the E Street Band but it loses all nuance, all the subtlety and, somehow, it even loses its real anger. The band reinvention of TGOTJ is, I think an abomination of nature that should never have seen the light of day. I’m yet to see a Bruce song made better by Morello.

I’m not one to convince people to like albums or songs. You like what you like and this one is very near perfect in my opinion. A better closing song would make it flawless. When I start thinking about standout songs I always end up making a list of all of them. 

Music is about emotion and I have a very deep emotional connection with TGOTJ. Even if I’ve never visited any of those places. I think it kick started my journey into adulthood.

Turns our I did have quite a lot to say! I just feel like I’ve been saying a lot on this board lately and some others have said pretty much the same thing better than me on this thread.

i knew it was worth dragging you out of bed or where ever you were ;)

this board is always better for your opinions 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

Also can’t stand it. Ruins the song for me.

• Love Love Love! 1

16 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i knew it was worth dragging you out of bed or where ever you were ;)

this board is always better for your opinions 

Sunday morning cleaning!

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-Joad said:

Sunday morning cleaning!

then im glad i intetrupted

you needed a break

today i cleaned my kitchen window sills :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, berlintramp said:

Morello certainly divides opinions round here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

That is a beautiful version, unfortunately in the least attractive look he ever sported.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Well said, especially that bit about Youngstown losing its anger when played with a band. I've yet to hear it angrier than when done solo acoustic, it was so incredibly intense and tense in 95-97.

I do enjoy the band rock version of TGOTJ, but it remains at it's best on the album and live solo acoustic. And the version on Chicago '99. (I think it's one of his 5 greatest songs, so it's pretty hard to fuck it up. But it has its greatest impact on the album version).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:
10 hours ago, Mack boy said:

I think Youngstown is one of his best combinations of music and words, and the lyrics are amongst his best for a full song,

10 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Oh yes!  That and Joad are my favorites, followed very closely by Across the Border.   

If only the rest of the album could have come close to those, then he would have had something.

6 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

If only the rest of the album could have come close to those, then he would have had something.

Beauty is in the ear of the listener. Those are my three favorites, but I do think that album is ‘something.’ 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Had another listen to the album, it does certainly get better with repeated listening, and more importantly, I feel, reading and immersing.

I do want to defend the Tom morello version of tgotj. I am, as well as a Bruce fan, a fan of heavy metal, particularly technical thrash like Megadeth. So the guitar solos in the Tom morello version are of particular interest to me. I can understand why some people don't like this version, but as someone coming to Bruce more from the guitar angle as well as the storytelling angle, it does appeal. But we all like Bruce for different reasons.

• Like 3

I love the rock version of GOTJ (and Youngstown); I never got tired of Morello's solo, including the wah-wah's and the scritchy-scratchies. It made my inner teenage metalhead very happy. B)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

GOTJ is probably some of Bruce's strongest writing and storytelling, period. So many great, nuanced and thought provoking slice of American life vignettes. It's also incredibly apt that the title songs evokes Steinbeck. Musically, now that's a different story. It might as well be spoken word poetry. The backing to the songs exists only as a means to end, and that's pretty much what Bruce was going for. GOTJ and Youngstown are probably the best, musically, as well as the songs people know. There's a bridge in The Line that's simply a beautiful transitionary piece of music too. But Bruce has much better work as a musician and arranger if that's what you're after. It's all about the words with GOTJ.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, misty rain said:

I love the rock version of GOTJ (and Youngstown); I never got tired of Morello's solo, including the wah-wah's and the scritchy-scratchies. It made my inner teenage metalhead very happy. B)

I love both the full band (sans Morello) and acoustic versions.  

Never being a teenage metal head, my least favorite is Morello’s wah-wah’s scritchy-scratchies. 

BUT... if it means heating Joad, I’ll take it.  And I’d stand beside you grinning from ear to ear watching you go back in time as you relive your youth :) 

• Love Love Love! 1

I've just had my walk listening to The Ghost of Tom Joad there, underneath a beautifully brooding and clear sky and a lovely summer night's breeze, with nothing but the sounds of cars passing by and birds chirping in-between the songs to be heard.

It might not have been in the pitch black with complete silence that I originally wanted and both this thread recommended and Bruce Springsteen intended it to be best listened to, but it's the first time I've listened to the album and not only been immersed in the music and lyrics, but also the first time that I've truly enjoyed listening to the album from start to finish - the main outcome I was hoping for when I started my chronological studio album listening sessions. 

It was absolute bliss.

"Where the sky grows gray and white
We'll meet on the other side
There across the border"

IMG_20190624_220039.thumb.jpg.dc374a8ee22c2641ba1d1eb953683a87.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

31 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Where the sky grows gray and white
We'll meet on the other side
There across the border"

That song is just so beautiful, and unbelievably powerful.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That song is just so beautiful, and unbelievably powerful.  

It really is. I don’t understand people who’d rather listen to Darlington County for the 50th time instead of a gem like that.

2 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

It really is. I don’t understand people who’d rather listen to Darlington County for the 50th time instead of a gem like that.

Well, time and place.  I don’t know about rather, but I do also love Darlington County.  

It’s certainly not as thought proving or haunting, but is FUN live.  A lot of people just want to sing and dance and have fun.  So I actually can understand why people love hearing it.   

I’m agreeing with the word ‘gem’ to describe it.  

On 6/24/2019 at 9:46 AM, Baseball player said:

Had another listen to the album, it does certainly get better with repeated listening, and more importantly, I feel, reading and immersing.

I do want to defend the Tom morello version of tgotj. I am, as well as a Bruce fan, a fan of heavy metal, particularly technical thrash like Megadeth. So the guitar solos in the Tom morello version are of particular interest to me. I can understand why some people don't like this version, but as someone coming to Bruce more from the guitar angle as well as the storytelling angle, it does appeal. But we all like Bruce for different reasons.

im really happy you are enjoying the album

as a student of the paino (and french horn :lol:) it was Nils lofgran who taught me respect  for the guitar (but Bruce's '78 intro made me fall in love with it) and Steve is just fun

anyway back to the God father of the gutar - i think that's another of my Tommy problems

i just adore Nils 

and i hear more pleasing noises comming out of my cat when she's threatening  to bitch slap the neighbour's moggy than i hear in even one morrello note (plus she keeps her whiskers immaculately groomed compaired compaired to his guitar string ends)

hopefully no hard feelings - you'll get used to me ;)

anyway as Ann says Morrello is rather polarizing 

and as he is Bruce's friend i did give him respect and my full attention and smiles plus i clapped, when i endured him twice in concert

but my heart was bleeding for Nils and Steve