MacBruce

Rate Western Stars songs

15 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Are you listening, Mr Bruce Frederick Springsteen? Especially to that last sentence?

I don't usually call you by your full name but you need to be told and take notice!

I think Joseph is his confirmation name... for future full name calling situations :) 

Just now, rosiejaneymary said:

I think Joseph is his confirmation name... for future full name calling situations :) 

I'll keep that in mind for when I'm REALLY mad at him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, janeymarywendy said:

I'll keep that in mind for when I'm REALLY mad at him.

Just to be clear... So if it’s a really important situation that’s good, it’s sans confirmation; but when he’s in trouble it’s the whole shebang? 

1 minute ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Just to be clear... So if it’s a really important situation that’s good, it’s sans confirmation; but when he’s in trouble it’s the whole shebang? 

I bet his mom was the same :P

• Haha 2

1. Moonlight Motel

2. Stones

3. Tucson Train

4. Somewhere North of Nashville

5. Western Stars

6. Chasin' Wild Horses

7. Hitch Hikin'

8. Hello Sunshine

9. Sundown

10. There Goes My Miracle

11. Drive Fast

12. The Wayfarer

13. Sleepy Joe's Cafe

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

I bet his mom was the same :P

I’m betting you’re correct!  

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

My grandmother was just the other way around. Normally, she called her husband "Herr Erhard", but when he was in trouble, it was a short, hissed "Andress!"

• Haha 3

As of this moment:

1. Moonlight motel

2. Hello sunshine

3. Stones 

4. Western stars

5. Somewhere north of Nashville

6. Chasin’ wild horses

7. Tucson train

8. Sleepy Joe’s Café 

9. Drive fast

10. Hitch hikin’

11. The wayfarer

12. There goes my miracle

13. Sundown 

It will be interesting to see what the list will look like in a few months.

1. Chasin' Wild Horses
  2. There Goes My Miracle
  3. Moonlight Motel
  4. Stones
  5. Tucson Train
  6. Sundown
  7. The Wayfarer
  8. Somewhere North Of Nashville
  9. Western Stars
  10. Hello Sunshine
  11. Hitch Hikin'
  12. Drive Fast 
  13. Sleepy Joe's Cafe

1-4 have been favourites for me.

5-10 are all great songs. 

Hitch hikin' is the one I'm liking more and more.. from ok song to good song now. 

Drive Fast.. I like it but it takes me to the The River album.. it still fits but somehow it hasn't grabbed me the same way as the other songs. 

Sleepy Joe fits the album too but it's a bit boring. 

I'm not sure yet cause I've listened the album as a whole so far every time but I'm gonna try it without Sleepy & Drive a couple of times and see how things settle.

I'll give it a go, but will regret it as soon as I've typed it.

Western Stars

Hitch Hikin'/Tucson Train

Chasin' Wild Horses/Stones/Moonlight Motel

Drive Fast/SNON

Sundown

Hello Sunshine

Sleepy Joe's Café

There Goes My Miracle

Wayfarer

I can't even give them numbers (apart from the last one!) because they would change so often.

• Like 3

1. Western Stars

2.Tucson Train

3.Hello Sunshine

4.Stones

5.Sundown

6.Hitch Hickin'

7.Moonlight Hotel

8.There Goes My Miracle

9.Sleepy Joes Cafe

10.The Wayfarer

11.Drive Fast

12.Chasin Wild Horses

13. Somewhere North Of Nashville

• Like 1

having listened to it a few times i have repeated Western Stars,sleepy joes cafe and the wayfarer many times so probably my favourite three, jurys out on rest

1 Western

2 Tucson

3 Drive fast

4 Stones

5 There goes my miracle 

6 Chasin wild horses 

7 Hello sunshine 

8 Somewhere North of Nashville 

9 Moonlight Motel

10 Sundown

11 The Wayfarer

12 Hich Hickin

13 Sleepy Joes Cafe'

Glad we have finally seen sense and the last 3 posts have Westerns Stars at no1. Shame on the rest of you, hope you all fell a wee bit silly now. I can only assume it was down to the heatwave or the demon drink.

Now we need to address why you lot think Moonlight Motel isn't no2 as outlined by MacBruce.

• Like 2

Title track wouldn't be near my top slot, as well composed a song it is.  As someone said elsewhere, the melody doesn't "haunt" me.

Other melodies do.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, soulsofthedeparted said:

1. Western Stars

2.Tucson Train

3.Hello Sunshine

4.Stones

5.Sundown

6.Hitch Hickin'

7.Moonlight Hotel

8.There Goes My Miracle

9.Sleepy Joes Cafe

10.The Wayfarer

11.Drive Fast

12.Chasin Wild Horses

13. Somewhere North Of Nashville

Closest to my list.  I just can't get my arms around the last 3 songs.   I immediately bought into the influences and sonic style of this album, so the more orchestral songs appeal to me as it is part of the theme.  I just love the fact that an artist of Springsteen's stature just said "f it" and made the jewel box he wanted to make.  

• Like 3

This list changes daily apart from the last two songs. I cannot stand the voice in Sundown. But I love the music. Sleepy Joe's, to me, just does not fit in this album in any shape or form.

The other 11 tracks though? Wow...

1. Western Stars

2. Tucson Train

3. Moonlight Motel

4. Stones 

5. The Wayfarer

6. Chasin' Wild Horses

7. Hello sunshine

8. Hitch Hikin'

9. Drive Fast

10. Somewhere North of Nashville

11. There goes My Miracle

12. Sundown

13. Sleepy Joe's Café

It's just to early for me to do this list, maybe in about a month or two i could ?  Tucson Train, Sleepy's Joe Cafe, Hello Sunshine  and Moonlight Hotel are the four i'm listening to most now like.

• Like 1

The album is still settling, but Western Stars seems to be the no. 1 song here. And it's very likely Bruce best and best executed song in a long, long, long time. Quite possibly one of his Top 5 songs since 1995. 

• Like 3

Whilst there are a lot of good tracks, which, as a whole, make for a very strong and coherent album, there are two tracks which, for me, stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Both the title track and Moonlight Motel make my hairs stand on end, and despite Bruce having a huge back catalogue of great songs, this is quite rare for me.

Songs like Stolen Car, Brothers Under The Bridge, Incident, The Price You Pay have the same effect, and I'd rate these two just as highly.

Especially moving, is when the strings build to a climax towards the end of Western Stars. Am so glad, and surprised, that Bruce can still provide these moments of magic.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1. Western Stars

2. Drive Fast

3. The Wayfarer

4. Sundown

5. Chasin' Wild Horses

6. Hello Sunshine

7. Hitch Hikin'

8. Moonlight Motel

9. Somewhere North of Nashville

10. Tuscon Train

11. Stones

12. Sleepy Joe

13. There Goes My Miracle

5 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

The album is still settling, but Western Stars seems to be the no. 1 song here. And it's very likely Bruce best and best executed song in a long, long, long time. Quite possibly one of his Top 5 songs since 1995. 

Now that the album has mostly "settled" for me, still not nearly sick of listening to it, I'm still of the view that I'm defo in the minority on the title track, but the two weakest songs for me are Sundown and Drive Fast.  Don't think I'll ever change my tune on them now but who knows.

Even Miracle now sounds great when I'm in altered state and it's cranked.  So normally don't think I'll ever love that one either but three songs I don't care for on an album with 13 songs ain't too fuckin' shabby.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Now that the album has mostly "settled" for me, still not nearly sick of listening to it, I'm still of the view that I'm defo in the minority on the title track, but the two weakest songs for me are Sundown and Drive Fast.  Don't think I'll ever change my tune on them now but who knows.

Even Miracle now sounds great when I'm in altered state and it's cranked.  So normally don't think I'll ever love that one either but three songs I don't care for on an album with 13 songs ain't too fuckin' shabby.  

Sundown is the one song on the album which has actually grown on me over the last fortnight. Love the singing and the sentiment of the song which from a personal point of view I can actually relate to. I agree with you about Drive Fast...it's a very good song but well down my list of the better ones on this great album.

19 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Whilst there are a lot of good tracks, which, as a whole, make for a very strong and coherent album, there are two tracks which, for me, stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Both the title track and Moonlight Motel make my hairs stand on end, and despite Bruce having a huge back catalogue of great songs, this is quite rare for me.

Songs like Stolen Car, Brothers Under The Bridge, Incident, The Price You Pay have the same effect, and I'd rate these two just as highly.

Especially moving, is when the strings build to a climax towards the end of Western Stars. Am so glad, and surprised, that Bruce can still provide these moments of magic.

Exactly, especially the bit at the end, regarding the strings. That passage is maybe the best argument for the strings being incorporated in the song, and not being slapped on. I don't think the same effect could have been achieved without "just" the E Street Band. 

Thought about the song and why it affects me as much as it does. Of course it's because the song itself is amazing, but since it's new and fresh, I could conceivably be overestimating it; in my young fanboy days I - for a short time, I have to stress that - held Two For The Road in higher regard than Independence Day...hey, I was 14, OK? Anyway, I don't think it's that, but it has been noted that part of the melody is similar to All That Heaven Will Allow, and that resemblance to Tunnel - which I regard as one of Bruce's greatest albums - could of course be why I am so enamoured with the song.

I don't think that's the whole reason, because I think Western Stars is a stone cold classic Bruce track all on it's own. I do think it will be hair-raisingly good 10 years down the road.

• Like 4

On 6/29/2019 at 10:49 PM, the imposter said:

1. Western Stars

2. Drive Fast

At alst I found a similar soul.....Western Stars is for me the strongest song on the album.... and the amount of low scores on Drive fastis disappointing. Ireally believe people need to give this song more time.... the song insidiously grew on me until suddenly it almost rivalled WS ..... persevere with it theres a real gem in that rock!!!

1.Western Stars

2. (very close) Drive fast Fall hard

3.There Goes My Miracle (anyone sung it in the car yet???? What a chorus for a singalong :D)

4.Hello Sunshine.

5.Sleepy Joes.

6.Tucson Train

7.Moonlight motel

8.Hitchhikin.

9.Chasing Wild horses

10. Stones

11.Sundown

12.Wayfarer

13. Somewhere North of Nashville (does not belong on this album).