LoverInTheCold

I Left My Heart in Asbury Park (Song)

Hey Gang,

A little while back I finished up work on a demo of a song I had carried around in my back pocket for a while. It's called I LEFT MY HEART IN ASBURY PARK and I thought I'd post it here as many of us feel the same way about AP as we do Bruce. Just thought some of you may enjoy it. Below are the links to a picture video I made for it and also the SoundCloud audio only. 

Can't figure out how to make the Youtube embed work, so here's a link to the video: I Left My Heart in Asbury Park Video

Soundcloud link below:

I Left My Heart in Asbury Park

A little backstory about the song for anybody interested:

From 2010 to late 2015 I lived in New Brunswick, NJ. For those who aren't familiar with the area, it's about 35 miles from AP and 20 miles from Freehold.

I grew up in rural Minnesota, but I like to say I was raised by Bruce as my dad was a megafan and Bruce has been a part of my life since I was a child. Bruce dreamed about getting out of Jersey, but I spent most of my life dreaming about getting to Jersey. In 2009, my wife got accepted into the Rutgers PHD program and with that I got some of the best news of my life. I was getting my dream come true. Not only was I moving to New Jersey, but I was not moving to North Jersey, or the Pines, or Hoboken. I was moving a stone's throw from Bruce's Jersey. Living in Central Jersey meant weekly, if not daily trips down the shore. Weekends in AP. Concerts at the Pony and the Wonder Bar. It meant everything to me. 

When my wife earned her PHD, and our time at Rutgers was up, we made the difficult decision to move back to Minnesota. We had a two year daughter at the time and were getting ready for our second child, so we felt that being near family as we got into the groove of things was the best choice at the time. Since that point I've dealt with some depression and hardcore regrets about leaving. As I'm wont to do, I put those feelings into song form and this ended up being the result.

It's just a home office demo, but I really like the way it ended up and what it means to me. I'd be honored if any of you gave it a listen!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Really nice song, Jake. Enjoyed it several times.

• Love Love Love! 1

Jake,

I absolutely loved it!

Signed, 

A Greasy Lake Jersey Girl

PS...If you're missing Jersey/Asbury Park at anytime while perusing the forum, check out these two threads.  Some of the pictures have been deleted but there are still enough there to enjoy.

• Love Love Love! 2

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Really nice song, Jake. Enjoyed it several times.

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate you giving it a listen. 

1 hour ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Jake,

I absolutely loved it!

Signed, 

A Greasy Lake Jersey Girl

PS...If you're missing Jersey/Asbury Park at anytime while perusing the forum, check out these two threads.  Some of the pictures have been deleted but there are still enough there to enjoy.

Thanks for listening! I love the thread. I also subscribe to a few Facebook groups and the APP press so that helps keep me up to date on what's going on back there. 

I'm lucky to be heading back next month for a few days as well. So many things have changed and there's been so much development in Asbury Park and New Brunswick in the few years I've been gone. It's gonna be a blast to reconnect with all the people and places I've been missing. 

Again, I appreciate the kind words!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

Really enjoyed that Jake, thanks.

Wondering if @rachelharms has had a listen? She surely left her heart there too...

Thanks for the listen!

On 6/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, Ann Jones said:

Really enjoyed that Jake, thanks.

Wondering if @rachelharms has had a listen? She surely left her heart there too...

I’m going to have a listen when I’m home!! Sounds like my kind of song. My heart is most definitely there, and I have a tea towel to show it courtesy of @rosiejaneymary :) 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Hey Jake,

beautiful song! Thanks for sharing. I also gave your songs "Maria" and "Suicide Hill" a listen - very good songs as well. Highly recommened for all fellow lakers out there :)

Thumbs up and greetings from Germany,

Andre

• Love Love Love! 1

@LoverInTheCold

WOW!

I Left My Heart is fantastic! Just enough of 'Rosie' to make a fan smile .. your voice is amazing!

Now to listen to the other one.

Well done that man!

• Love Love Love! 1

You're so good.

The Promised Land this time … oh, I'm loving these songs.

Thank you!

I love hints of songs I love … Bruce does that with his own songs, too, so it's a good thing. 

• Love Love Love! 1

On 8/7/2019 at 5:56 AM, andre said:

Hey Jake,

beautiful song! Thanks for sharing. I also gave your songs "Maria" and "Suicide Hill" a listen - very good songs as well. Highly recommened for all fellow lakers out there :)

Thumbs up and greetings from Germany,

Andre

Hi Andre!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment. I appreciate the kind words and hope you are well. My best to you in Germany!

5 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

@LoverInTheCold

WOW!

I Left My Heart is fantastic! Just enough of 'Rosie' to make a fan smile .. your voice is amazing!

Now to listen to the other one.

Well done that man!

Thanks so much for the listens! It warms my heart to know that other Brucies have taken the time to listen to my original songs. If not for Bruce, I'd have never picked up a guitar, so it's an absolute honor for you to hear some homages and hints to the songs we all adore! Much love and thanks.

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, theunsteve said:

Damn good song, Jake. 

Thank you for the listen!