Sign in to follow this  

7 hours ago, stillilllife said:

What is your question?

If you're not a Killers fan you'll not know that Brandon often includes 'bits' from other folk. Nor that his writing is very reminiscent of Bruce's.

Hence his questioning the veracity of what was written. :D

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

If you're not a Killers fan you'll not know that Brandon often includes 'bits' from other folk. Nor that his writing is very reminiscent of Bruce's.

Yeah, but I mean if he has heard the song I'm guessing he'd hear the similarity in style and if he's not heard the song then I don't see why it would be strange/peculiar if a band was influenced by Bruce Springsteen since he's been an influence for a lot of bands/artists through the years.

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

Yeah, but I mean if he has heard the song I'm guessing he'd hear the similarity in style and if he's not heard the song then I don't see why it would be strange/peculiar if a band was influenced by Bruce Springsteen since he's been an influence for a lot of bands/artists through the years.

Perhaps he was very interested in what he read and thought he'd ask on here - thinking that he'd get some feedback on it?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:04 PM, MacBruce said:

ust going for it with his big songs from his career which would have reigned in more casual fans.

It didn't really need very much.

He already played: Badlands, Prove It All Night, Out In The Street, Because The Night, The Promised Land, Born To Run, Thunder Road, Glory Days and Dancing In The Dark.

Something as simple as dropping Outlaw Pete and replacing it with BITUSA and Hungry Heart would have improved it vastly for the casual fans and non fans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

It didn't really need very much.

He already played: Badlands, Prove It All Night, Out In The Street, Because The Night, The Promised Land, Born To Run, Thunder Road, Glory Days and Dancing In The Dark.

Something as simple as dropping Outlaw Pete and replacing it with BITUSA and Hungry Heart would have improved it vastly for the casual fans and non fans.

And opening it with something they knew, rather than a cover which hardly anyone knew. 

• Like 3

I didnt see much of it but I caught Kurt Vile and the Violators they were pretty cool...... sounded  a bit Dylan ish and he is of course very much appreciated by Bruce (keeping the Bruce thread link:D)

Saw a lot of it over the weekend. The Cure were unreal. IDLES were my favourite though, their energy is fantastic. 

The Killers were brilliant but they are a brilliant band so expected them to be! 

• Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I didnt see much of it but I caught Kurt Vile and the Violators they were pretty cool...... sounded  a bit Dylan ish and he is of course very much appreciated by Bruce (keeping the Bruce thread link:D)

I caught Kurt Vile solo a few summers ago, I enjoyed it.  Has Bruce spoken of him?

48 minutes ago, procdoc said:

Saw a lot of it over the weekend. The Cure were unreal.

They must have sounded better than their RRHoF performance then.  Yikes.  

I love so many of their songs.  

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

He’s got a brilliant version of Downbound Train.

Idles were humble and magnificent.

Stormzy although not my type of music was iconic. He had passion and a truck load of charisma. Powerful msg delivered in a powerful way to a generation hopefully ready to lap it up.

I do love Fontaine’s DC they will be huge

Keeping this Bruce related, I was just thinking how this weekend is actually my 10 year anniversary.

I know some people critise his setlist and say he should appealed more to the casual fan but I was probably not even that when but I tuned into Bruce and The E Street band coverage in 2009.

I didnt know much of his back catalogue apart from Bitusa but it still did enough for me to do some research.

Clips from '78 on youtube, discovering Tracks and bootlegs made me the huge fan I am today, and Darkness will always be my album but I dug out WOAD today and remembered how some of this caught my attention back then.

As someone once said.. someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem fuuny :D

• Like 9

The Cure at Glastonbury could be my favourite ever festival performance by anyone. And I am normally nothing more than a casual fan.

It was perfect in every way and Bob's singing was so damn good..

12 hours ago, procdoc said:

Saw a lot of it over the weekend. The Cure were unreal. IDLES were my favourite though, their energy is fantastic. 

The Killers were brilliant but they are a brilliant band so expected them to be! 

Apologies for being late to the party, but we just got back from Glastonbury yesterday.
We saw The Killers from just to the right of the sound stage and had a great time. I don't know what the crowd was like further back, but around us it was buzzing. It really helps to have the people near you that are fully engaged in the set and not talking and looking at their phones. I agree that they didn't mess around and blasted out the hits one after another - opening with Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine was impressive. This Charming Man into Mr Brightside was genius.

The Cure were excellent as well, but in a very different way. We were further back up the field and it was quieter than I've seen it since Metallica, but everyone was enjoying it. I knew about 40% of the songs they played, but the sound was spot on and Robert Smith has a surprisingly good voice. Not jumping up and down music, but an entertaining and interesting last night headline set.

Didn't see Stormzy (not my thing) but cudos to Glastonbury for booking him. It looked pretty impressive from the highlights I saw on TV last night.

It was packed at The Park for IDLES. My wife left half way through as she wasn't enjoying it, but my daughters and I had a thoroughly fun time. They deliver a powerful message and they do so through quirky and sometimes strange lyrics. What's not to love about a sweaty guitarist crowd surfing dressed in only his underpants. Not sure I'd have wanted to be one of those holding him up though!

I don't think we'll ever see Bruce at Glastonbury again, at least not with the E Street Band, although I hold out hopes that he might do a solo acoustic set one day.

A great few days with glorious weather although the legs are suffering a bit today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kevtam said:

Apologies for being late to the party, but we just got back from Glastonbury yesterday.
We saw The Killers from just to the right of the sound stage and had a great time. I don't know what the crowd was like further back, but around us it was buzzing. It really helps to have the people near you that are fully engaged in the set and not talking and looking at their phones. I agree that they didn't mess around and blasted out the hits one after another - opening with Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine was impressive. This Charming Man into Mr Brightside was genius.

The Cure were excellent as well, but in a very different way. We were further back up the field and it was quieter than I've seen it since Metallica, but everyone was enjoying it. I knew about 40% of the songs they played, but the sound was spot on and Robert Smith has a surprisingly good voice. Not jumping up and down music, but an entertaining and interesting last night headline set.

Didn't see Stormzy (not my thing) but cudos to Glastonbury for booking him. It looked pretty impressive from the highlights I saw on TV last night.

It was packed at The Park for IDLES. My wife left half way through as she wasn't enjoying it, but my daughters and I had a thoroughly fun time. They deliver a powerful message and they do so through quirky and sometimes strange lyrics. What's not to love about a sweaty guitarist crowd surfing dressed in only his underpants. Not sure I'd have wanted to be one of those holding him up though!

I don't think we'll ever see Bruce at Glastonbury again, at least not with the E Street Band, although I hold out hopes that he might do a solo acoustic set one day.

A great few days with glorious weather although the legs are suffering a bit today.

Im glad you enjoyed it and i hope you were one of the many who cleaned up after themsleves. as for those who didnt-the pictures encapsualting our throwaway culture from Glastonbury yesterday are an absolute disgrace- what a dirty filthy lot some people are and bearing in mind what a middle class festival it has become , it proves that wealth certainly does not equate to being more civilised.

• Love Love Love! 1

19 hours ago, Kay said:

I caught Kurt Vile solo a few summers ago, I enjoyed it.  Has Bruce spoken of him?

cool! No I probably was not clear, I was just making a tenuous link to keep the Bruce angle on the thread !:D

On 7/1/2019 at 8:18 AM, Eileen said:

thanks for that, have listened to bits of them on album , not to impressed but like bruce they are 10 times better live very impressed and did notice they are a bit of a musical magpie.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 4:48 PM, Eileen said:

On 7/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, stillilllife said:

9 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

thanks for that, have listened to bits of them on album , not to impressed but like bruce they are 10 times better live very impressed and did notice they are a bit of a musical magpie.

It's funny, I've never heard the strong Bruce influence in The Killers music that critics and others often mention. Maybe a little lyrically on the Sam's Town album (probably my fave of theirs) and parts of Battle Born. Musically, I hear much more Queen, Meatloaf and U2 in The Killers than Bruce

4 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Musically, I hear much more Queen, Meatloaf and U2 in The Killers than Bruce

What about When You Were Young? It even has the Born To Run riff towards the end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Im glad you enjoyed it and i hope you were one of the many who cleaned up after themsleves. as for those who didnt-the pictures encapsualting our throwaway culture from Glastonbury yesterday are an absolute disgrace- what a dirty filthy lot some people are and bearing in mind what a middle class festival it has become , it proves that wealth certainly does not equate to being more civilised.

Hi Thunder Roadie

Agreed that the mess some people leave behind is terrible, but the festival does all it can to prevent this and encourage people to clean up after themselves.
I'm not sure you can blame 'the middle class' for this. Glastonbury is probably the most inclusive festival in the world. You will see people from all walks of life and all ages enjoying themselves together. This was my 13th time at the festival (the first was in 1985) and in all that time I don't think I've seen a single incident of violence. Not bad when you consider that there are well over 200,000 people on site.
Festivals in general have become more mainstream, but calling Glastonbury 'middle class' is to fall into the lazy myth that our press like to propagate. And, yes, every single scrap of rubbish that we produced found its way to a rubbish bin. In fact much of it came home with us as my wife wanted to make sure it got properly recycled.

Sorry for the rant. To bring it back on topic - no steaming River Bruce moment this year, but I still live in hope. One big disappointment is that Sam Fender pulled out through illness. I reckon we might have got a Bruce cover from him.

• Like 2

Haven't seen much footage of Glastonburry, but surely this must have been the highlight? 

Sir David, what a living legend, he's a hero! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wout said:

Haven't seen much footage of Glastonburry, but surely this must have been the highlight? 

He is like my third Grandpa. Love him to bits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevtam said:

but calling Glastonbury 'middle class' is to fall into the lazy myth that our press like to propagate

..... I don't have a problem with it being middle class, I was more annoyed with the mess, there is nothing wrong with posh toilets, I was just saying that clearly the middle classes are as inconsiderate environemtally. I heard that Leeds and Reading had nearly half of their tents left behind and those are kids festivals so its quite worrying. My tent has been to at least 12 festivals and counting.

My last festival was Donington last year and my £5 plastic cup came with me everywhere until I got my deposit back at the end. (Well I actually got offered £20 cos I had a rare cup apparently!!! but I could not take it off the lady pleading for it for her son.)

My message is to all is clean up after yourselves 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wout said:

Shame so many morons did'nt  listen to him