Jerm23

Awkward lyric lines that only Bruce could sing and make sound smooth

It takes a Red-Headed Woman to get the dirty job done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

What song is that from?

Little girl, I want to marry you
Oh yeah, little girl, I want to marry you
Yes I do
Little girl, I want to marry you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of Blinded By The Light

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

All of Blinded By The Light

You could also say: all of Greetings.

But especially Blinded. For everyone else Blinded would maybe/probably got negative reviews as a very bad Dylan imitation, but Bruce made it sound like something of its own, something unique. (This all said, to say there is very heavy Dylan influence on Greetings in general and Blinded in particular, is quite an understatement).

On the other hand, Manfred Mann of course had a nr. 1 hit with Blinded.

• Like 3

"the hydriotic acid / could burn right through your skin".

Hm. If anyone should write smooth lyrics about producing meth, it should be Bruce. .

• Haha 2

The turtles eat the skin from your eyes, so they lay open to the stars.

He is singing about the most horrible situations people are forced to get involved in, similar to the acid and the methamphetamines, and his voice is only filled with compassion and humanity. He delivers his message without any anger, so skillfully...

• Like 4

"On the set, the makeup girl brings me two raw eggs and a shot of gin" - that is almost as much of a mouthful (no pun intended) as the Chihuahua. No wonder Rizla understood "naked girl".

Also there is "You start out slow in a sweet little bungalow" -- I kept hearing sweet little bundle.  He mumbles it to fit, but it's hard to understand.

• Like 1

On 3 July 2019 at 6:39 AM, Ann Jones said:

I think there are quite a few on WS which fall into that category. When trying to sing along, I trip over the words. Also, he stretches out a short word and contracts a long word - I cant think of an example now, will just have to have another listen...

How about contracting a short word - dropping the 'H' on Horses. Then he goes and sticks it back on before taking it away again. What's going on there! If I'm honest it distracts me from what otherwise is a very fine track. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

How about contracting a short word - dropping the 'H' on Horses. Then he goes and sticks it back on before taking it away again. What's going on there! If I'm honest it distracts me from what otherwise is a very fine track. 

I didn’t even notice it until Ann pointed it out!  I doesn’t bother me, but I can see where it might bother people.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Me and Frank said:

How about:

”I see the lonely ribbon in your hair

Tell me am I the man for whom you put it there”

10 out of 10 for grammar, but not even Bruce can save that one. 

Oh, I have to disagree... I love that line! 

20 hours ago, Kay said:

I agree and thereby don't like any covers of Atlantic City I've heard.  Not even The Band's.  

The Band’s is ok, but doesn’t hold a candle to Bruce’s.  

BTW... didn’t cringe... I always laughed at the Honda/Subaru line in Pink Caddy.  Especially since most of my life I’ve owned Hondas or     Su-ba-rus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'The road of good intentions has gone....dry.....as.....a-bone'

• Like 3

On 7/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Silvia said:

The turtles eat the skin from your eyes, so they lay open to the stars.

He is singing about the most horrible situations people are forced to get involved in, similar to the acid and the methamphetamines, and his voice is only filled with compassion and humanity. He delivers his message without any anger, so skillfully...

It’s the juxtaposition. The horror of the first half of the line and the beauty of the second. Staring at the stars is a universal beauty we all relate to and it’s mixed with the horror of the death we all fear.

He mixes up beauty with human misery and death. The everyday reality of the stuff of life - lines like that are pure genius. He makes us aware of our humanity in a humble, terrifying and yet hopeful and beautiful way.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Sorry, not a lyric but I was listening to The Roxy '78 the other day and when he says just before starting "Racing in the Street":

"I think I understand the spiritual and religious significance of the 396

I thought to myself, only Bruce Springsteen can get away with saying this about a car, because it sounds so fucking pretentious :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Sorry, not a lyric but I was listening to The Roxy '78 the other day and when he says just before starting "Racing in the Street":

I thought to myself, only Bruce Springsteen can get away with saying this about a car, because it sounds so fucking pretentious :lol:

not to people who love cars with a passion

I had a friend was a big baseball player back in High School

He could throw that speedball by YER, make you look like a fool boy

I lost my job at the Texaco station

Instead of pumping gas

I dream of you

and

I don't understand

You ain't pretty at all

But I come when you whisper

I run when you call

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Actually, it sounds kinda naughty to me -_-

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Spanish Juannie said:

YER

I know he means (and lyrics say) ‘you,’ but it always sounded like ‘ya’ to me.  Which is not uncommon.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknrollcrook said:

But I come when you whisper

I'm still not sure about this particular line... What he had in mind...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everything about that song cracks me up. I assume the whole thing is a joke? It sounds like he's parodying something, but I haven't quite figured out what. It sounds like he's deliberately writing the most over-the-top song possible, and every time I hear it I walk around with a huge grin on my face at how straight-up funny it is.

Just look at everything that happens in it! He loses his job! He gets kicked out of his house! Frozen cities crumble! "They" are going to RIP OUT HIS HEART! When he sees her on the street he FALLS ON HIS FACE! (And then drops to his knees, because that is a logical order in which to do things.) And all because of this girl who isn't even pretty! AT ALL!

So yeah, I think he had in mind what you think he had in mind. 

• Like 1