19 hours ago, PrettyRedRose said:

When he busted out Yesterday (this is early going so not much of a spoiler) the delivery was so spot on and moving I did get something in my eye. 

Everytime I see McCartney, people start bawlin' when he plays that song. That one and "Give Peace a Chance". What gives?

39 minutes ago, JustDan said:

"Give Peace a Chance".

I was there the first time he played it at King's Dock in Liverpool in 1990. There was talk that he was going to play something as a tribute to John. We didn't know what and Strawberry Fields / Help seemed reasonable enough, but it was a big surprise when he went into Give Peace A Chance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PrettyRedRose said:

Wait I do know Kate. Other guy, no. 

Robert Carlyle - from The Full Monty, Trainspotting ...

also the ABC series Once Upon a Time, Stargate Universe too

2 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

@JustDan - have you seen it yet?

Seeing it this afternoon - matinee 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the movie. it was cute. Still like 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' better, but none-the-less. Surprised at the rather youngish crowd. I felt old. There is something wrong when you look around you and you feel old....at a movie about the music of the the Beatles. One particular scene did me in emotionally & I had to walk out early. It was toward the end I think, so I missed the last few minutes of the film I gather. I was taken-aback by how much the scene hit me. I'll catch the very end when it comes out on disc. I was in no condition to stay. I ran outside into the dismal heat, got to the car & let it out for what seemed like a good 15 minutes or so. For a moment, I felt pretty silly toward myself. It's as if I'd just seen 'Schindler's List' or something. Silly, idn't it? Chalk it up to it being something so meaningful.....to me anyway.

One other thing not related to the film...In the endless stream of previews, they showed the trailer for 'Blinded by the Light'...& yes....it was unmistakeable...There was BRUUUUUcing coming from somewhere in the back of the theater. People clapping after the trailer....& one last BRUUUUUCE! The hall erupted in laughter....

A good movie...A bittersweet ending. If only. Thing is, if only's can really suck sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 4

That scene hit me hard too, Dan. It was very well done. I thought of you when I saw it.  

Loads of 'old' people in the audience when I saw it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustDan said:

I enjoyed the movie. it was cute. Still like 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' better, but none-the-less. Surprised at the rather youngish crowd. I felt old. There is something wrong when you look around you and you feel old....at a movie about the music of the the Beatles. One particular scene did me in emotionally & I had to walk out early. It was toward the end I think, so I missed the last few minutes of the film I gather. I was taken-aback by how much the scene hit me. I'll catch the very end when it comes out on disc. I was in no condition to stay. I ran outside into the dismal heat, got to the car & let it out for what seemed like a good 15 minutes or so. For a moment, I felt pretty silly toward myself. It's as if I'd just seen 'Schindler's List' or something. Silly, idn't it? Chalk it up to it being something so meaningful.....to me anyway.

One other thing not related to the film...In the endless stream of previews, they showed the trailer for 'Blinded by the Light'...& yes....it was unmistakeable...There was BRUUUUUcing coming from somewhere in the back of the theater. People clapping after the trailer....& one last BRUUUUUCE! The hall erupted in laughter....

A good movie...A bittersweet ending. If only. Thing is, if only's can really suck sometimes.

oh wow Dan

im impressed 

if you would it touched you that way it must be a very good movie indeed

(im afraid i didn't beleave what anyone else said till you)

ill have to try and track it down once the Beatle living other half has his vision problems sorted out

also great to hear about Blinded by the light 

Why wouldn't you believe that I thought the film was very good … or the others? I was here in the 50s and 60s and adored them, especially John. :D

PS It's not THAT good … it's silly. Even the bit we're talking about. However, it's touching.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Why wouldn't you believe that I thought the film was very good … or the others? I was here in the 50s and 60s and adored them, especially John. :D

PS It's not THAT good … it's silly. Even the bit we're talking about. However, it's touching.

oh opps

downloadfile-61.jpg

its just Dan is like Mr Beatles to me and he takes no prisoners 

its not a movie that would be on my radar if you wern't all talking about it 

4 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

That scene hit me hard too, Dan. It was very well done. I thought of you when I saw it.  

Loads of 'old' people in the audience when I saw it.

Oh there were older folks there for sure, but it seemed like millennials outnumbered us, & a good number of college-aged kids as well. I guess that's a good thing. Keeps the music alive from generation to generation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

Oh there were older folks there for sure, but it seemed like millennials outnumbered us, & a good number of college-aged kids as well. I guess that's a good thing. Keeps the music alive from generation to generation.

I am always pleased when younger people still relate to the music. 

I remember when my son and our two godsons were about 19/20, we came home from a meal out with the godsons' parents to find the three of them listening to Revolver - it made us very happy!

• Like 2

Just saw it last night.  Loved it.  Yup, I blubbered at that scene.  I had purposely avoid knowing anything before I went, so... 

Was thinking of @JustDan throughout!  

Oh, ALL old peeps in the theater :D

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JustDan said:

One particular scene did me in emotionally & I had to walk out early. It was toward the end I think,

I knew when we were all telling you to go, you weren't going to handle that part very well. I got a bit choked up also. 

And then to ruin the moment, when we got out of the theater I had to explain the whole part to my wife. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I knew when we were all telling you to go, you weren't going to handle that part very well. I got a bit choked up also. 

And then to ruin the moment, when we got out of the theater I had to explain the whole part to my wife. 

.... oh dear

what ever it is might end up going over my head too

17 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I am always pleased when younger people still relate to the music. 

I remember when my son and our two godsons were about 19/20, we came home from a meal out with the godsons' parents to find the three of them listening to Revolver - it made us very happy!

Yesterday (!) my great nephew had a singing lesson (we are staying with them this week) and he was learning Let it Be -  very impressed:)

Mr J tried to persuade him to see Yesterday at the cinema though, but he chose Men in Black instead.:(

I'm going to go see this Monday with my aunt (she's five years older than me so will have grown up with The Beatles in the sixties!)

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:01 PM, whispered secret said:

Yesterday (!) my great nephew had a singing lesson (we are staying with them this week) and he was learning Let it Be -  very impressed:)

Mr J tried to persuade him to see Yesterday at the cinema though, but he chose Men in Black instead.:(

one of those

:):( posts

but pretty cool

On 7/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, whispered secret said:

My first question would have been "Did you boys find my pot stash, too?"

• Haha 2

Just back fron seeing this film, really "enjoyed"it and glad I made the effort to see it, in the pub afterwards someone asked me what I though and I siad I found it really emotional...WHAT they said..but this music has been a part of me for so long and as anyone who knows will understand the username I use and know where my affections lie and there were many many flies around. Great idea and Danny Boyle is a genious (the sixth Beatle), will not spoil it for others but the exchange between two of the actors near the end was priceless and pure Danny Boyle (amongst others)!!!!....Go see, enjoy and let your heart flow.

• Love Love Love! 2

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Just back fron seeing this film, really "enjoyed"it and glad I made the effort to see it, in the pub afterwards someone asked me what I though and I siad I found it really emotional...WHAT they said..but this music has been a part of me for so long and as anyone who knows will understand the username I use and know where my affections lie and there were many many flies around. Great idea and Danny Boyle is a genious (the sixth Beatle), will not spoil it for others but the exchange between two of the actors near the end was priceless and pure Danny Boyle (amongst others)!!!!....Go see, enjoy and let your heart flow.

...well i learn something new every day thank you Mr Google :lol:

• Love Love Love! 1

I saw this late this afternoon. I really enjoyed it and the scene Dan had to leave after is powerful and even I got a little watery in the eyes. I'd watch this one again.

Also, I knew the director's name but wasn't really that familiar with the names of his movies. I just read that he did Slumdog Millionaire, a movie I really like.

14 hours ago, Troublette said:

I saw this late this afternoon. I really enjoyed it and the scene Dan had to leave after is powerful and even I got a little watery in the eyes. I'd watch this one again.

Absolutely, I think you need to see it again to catch all that happens during all the up's and downs of the movies. There is always something else there.  

Going to see this again this afternoon with my sister, who hasn't seen it yet. I think it will be quite interesting for me to compare it with Blinded by the Light. 

I did ask my sister which one she would rather see and she chose Yesterday.:(!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:12 PM, Jimmy James said:

Absolutely, I think you need to see it again to catch all that happens during all the up's and downs of the movies. There is always something else there.  

I really enjoyed seeing it for a second time. 'The scene' worked better for me this time, as I knew it was coming it made much more sense. My sister loved it but has promised to see BBTL as she thought trailer looked good!  Cinema very cheap in Leeds - £4.90 whatever time of day:)

• Like 1