Happy birthday to the great man,I could listen to this intro forever.

What are your Preferential Professor Moments?

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 4

Happy birthday! Always felt he is the unsung hero of E Street - so many classic piano intros

• Like 3

The Professor is top boy. 

My favourite thing about him is how he's played on the majority of absolute non-Bruce bangers you've ever heard.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:18 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Just finished watching a programme about Meat Loaf on BBC4 and it always amazes me when hearing "Bat out of Hell" and "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)", remembering that the piano is being played by Roy. 

In the documentary they went into detail about both Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman, and how Steinman wrote "Total Eclipse of the Heart" for Bonnie Tyler. They showed Steinman playing piano, but I questioned, "wasn't Roy playing on that one as well?" Yep! Another iconic piano intro, and it's Roy. I think that's class. 

Basically, it's struck me hearing and thinking about these songs, as well as the many amazing moments he's had playing for Bruce, that Roy has to be up there as far as all time great pianists go, right? Yet if you brought him up in reference to these songs, I doubt many people would actually know who he is. 

From "Racing in the Street" and "Backstreets" to "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing At All", he's got an awesome portfolio.

Edit: Oh, and yeah it's worth noting that Max is playing drums on a load of these songs as well. So credit to the two of them!

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That Meatloaf documentary was brilliant!He's amazing with his fans

• Like 2

Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

He's on keyboards on this B)

He loves a good bit of BJ

• Haha 3

My favourite E Streeter....his great piano work has enriched so many of Bruce's classic songs.

Happy 70th Birthday Professor !

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I love the two-fer of Racing and Thunder Road from the Darkness tour. Beautiful segue between the songs:

Point Blank from the River '16 Tour became such a thing of beauty:

The Professor is a big part of the reason I'm here right now. Happy Birthday Roy! B)

• Like 7

Point Blank intro 2016, is some of the most powerful music I've taken in. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Love Roy so so much.  Sending the happiest of birthday wishes his way... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocknrollcrook said:

This one sounded a bit too much like BTR for comfort.  Seger has omitted it from every one of his various hits compilations.  Maybe that's why.  

Roy is amazing

so iconic to the sound of Bruce Springsteen music

happy birthday and many many more

• Like 1

8 hours ago, misty rain said:

I love the two-fer of Racing and Thunder Road from the Darkness tour. Beautiful segue between the songs:

Point Blank from the River '16 Tour became such a thing of beauty:

The Professor is a big part of the reason I'm here right now. Happy Birthday Roy! B)

Roy is one of my favorites too!

That Point Blank is absolutely amazing, it has always been my favorite track on the river and I guess with that performance listed above you can see why! (I'm still a little bit salted that he didn't play it in Europe, tho :( )

The Racing --> Thunder sequence is brilliant too, in fact the video you posted is from my own youtube channel ;) 

• Like 1

My favorite band member, great talent, and a loyal friend.(pure speculation :))

Happy Birthday, Roy!

• Like 1

It needs to be mentioned that he played on two of David Bowie's greatest albums, Station to Station and Scary Monsters!

18 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Happy birthday! Always felt he is the unsung hero of E Street - so many classic piano intros

absolutely for me the one we couldnt do without the key to all things estreet brilliant

• Like 1

If the only thing he had done was play piano in Racing in The Street I would love the guy but there are so many other moments as pointed out by everyone above Bruce and non Bruce.

Happy Birthday Roy!

Also on Dire Straits' landmark Making Movies album. So many classic albums bear his contribution beyond his work with Bruce. Truly A Master of his Craft!

The piano on Racing in the Street is an all-time favorite. Happy birthday, professor!

(You didn't need to include a picture of the young Bon Jovi to scare me away). Nearly dropped my whisky.)