Greasy Lake Community

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

Chee?....help me out here Janey :) 

When you have to explain a joke, it ain't a joke any more :lol:

Never mind Dan, I think I need one of your sinking ships ...

• Haha 1
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lost you two days ago. Now you are at peace...feeling no pain, free from worry and sorrow. I remember you asking me to make you a Mix tape. You loved 'Yesterday'. It was your favorite song. You play

Welcome home dad. I know it's going to be a long road to recovery, but you're strong & we'll all be right there with you. Played your favorite..."In My Life" as you were wheeled in & it was go

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Never mind Dan, I think I need one of your sinking ships ...

60833693.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, JustDan said:

Well, at least they didn't put Broad St on there...Worst solo album made by any of the four.

I thought the album was much better than the film.

4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I thought the album was much better than the film.

never saw the film...but like the LP

I only know the early ones really really well...incredibly important to me and my musical development

• Like 1

Just realised that I still have Broad Street on vinyl (one of the few). I'll give it a listen now.

• Like 1

Agree?.....Disagree? I'm not sure I agree with all of them.  'Power pop'...Yeah, I definitely see that. Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick & Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne both said the Beatles were their bands' main influence.

"Invented" is a very strong word, these were always around but just did not have one of those neat pidgeon holes that everyone seemed to like and want.....They led everyone else followed.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.8bf8458c14ca7911a4349038896ec505.png

You can actually hear the band play!...Almost no screaming chickies!. Lots of dudes in the audience (hmmm)...Reserved French crowd.

• Like 1

Well, I never! Kate and I went to North Shields to pick up some garden stuff - took a wrong turning and ended up turning round ... beside a house with a plaque on the front.

We squinted and just made out that it was to say that The Beatles had played in that house! I've just remembered to have a look on google and they did indeed come to The Majestic twice in '63.

i also found this about a fella in North Shields - don't think that's the same house I saw.

Beatles mega-fan turns home into a shrine to the Fab Four - and it's worth thousands - Chronicle Live

Crikey!

Not a proper link but stick that in the search thingy and you'll see it.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Eileen said:

The Majestic twice in '63.

28 January and 26 June.

The 26 June show was their last appearance in a Top Rank ballroom. With nothing better to do after the show, John and Paul wrote 'She Loves You' in their hotel room.

• Like 2

We squinted and just made out that it was to say that The Beatles had played in that house! I've just remembered to have a look on google and they did indeed come to The Majestic twice in '63.

I'm a bit confused. The Beatles played The Majestic in Westgate Road, Newcastle (is that North Shields?) which is now the O2 Academy. 

image.png.093940dd025f838b1d07756332ec2ffb.png

• Like 1

We squinted and just made out that it was to say that The Beatles had played in that house!

Did it maybe say that they 'stayed' in that house. Perhaps it used to be a hotel?

I've not solved the issue why there should be a plaque on a house in North Shields but the research has been interesting.

It seems it was proposed to put up a blue plaque around 2003 relating to the writing of She Loves You, but this was dropped as there is some dispute as to where they stayed. Most sources seem to cite The Royal Turks Head on Grey Street, but others insist it was The Imperial in Jesmond. 

• Like 1

I'll have to get Kate to go back and check but I think it said they played there ... would they not play music if they were staying thereabouts? Doesn't have to mean it was a 'venue' ... I never thought of it like that, just somewhere like a front room.

North Shields is along the road from Jesmond and Newcastle - Tynemouth and Whitley Bay are close, too.

Probably one of the roadies/somebody connected to the main venue lived there.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Flea said:

I don't get it.

The cylinders are made of plastic [i guess]. I just think it's a cool looking tee but......to each his/her own.

12 hours ago, Flea said:

I don't get it.

Looks like this:

"There is written and photographic evidence to suggest, however, that the original Plastic Ono Band was a sound and light installation set up in the Apple press office. In the 26th July, 1969 edition of 'Disc and Music Echo', Derek Taylor, the Beatles press officer, wrote the following article: 'The band was made in perspex in Hoylake, in Cheshire (where Selwyn Lloyd and I were brought up separately) by an inventor I know called Charles Melling. It was Yoko's idea, with John, made to her specifications; four pieces - like John,Paul,George and Ringo, three taller and one shorter. Two rectangular, one cylindrical and a cube. One column holds a tape-recorder and amplifier, another a closed circuit TV set with live camera, a third a record player with amplifier, and the fourth has a miniature light show and a loud speaker. But they could hold anything, they are as adaptable as the Beatles. The perspex columns were fitted with their equipment by Apple electronics under the direction of (Magic) Alexis Mardas and here ends the first and last technological press release you will have from me'."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Ono_Band

• Like 1