Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome home dad. I know it's going to be a long road to recovery, but you're strong & we'll all be right there with you. Played your favorite..."In My Life" as you were wheeled in & it was go

My Dad suffered a stroke yesterday. I couldn't think of what to do, so I wanted to dedicate these words to him to promis him I would try to overcome my vices and be a better son, brother, uncle &

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn

Posted Images

Just another silly love song, right Paul?...:wacko:  Dude...wtf?

On 26 May 1969, a 14-year-old Beatle fanatic named Jerry Levitan snuck into John Lennon's hotel room in Toronto and convinced him to do an interview. 38 years later, Levitan, director Josh Raskin and illustrators James Braithwaite and Alex Kurina have collaborated to create an animated short film using the original interview recording as the soundtrack. A spellbinding vessel for Lennon's boundless wit and timeless message, I Met the Walrus was nominated for the 2008 Academy Award for Animated Short and won the 2009 Emmy for 'New Approaches' (making it the first film to win an Emmy on behalf of the internet).

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Is it true that Lennon's statue at Liverpool airport is going to be pulled down because some people find some of his music offensive?

8 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

This week's Beatles offering

This has become my favourite YouTube channel. the last couple of Friday nights I've put this on and just let the songs play one after the other. Some much needed light and happiness in these dark times.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Is it true that Lennon's statue at Liverpool airport is going to be pulled down because some people find some of his music offensive?

He used the n-word in the title of one of his songs in the 70's.

People get a-scared of that.

"If you don't believe it, take a look at the one you're with."

I really enjoyed this new book. Instead of being a standard biography it's a serious of chapters, arranged roughly chronologically, that largely skim over the familiar story to delve deeper into the slightly less familiar. Thus we learn more about Jimmie Nicol and "Magic Alex". We hear about the Hey Jude promotional film from the point of view of the fans that took part and the story of the Apple Roof Gig is largely told by the policemen called to complaints about the noise. The book starts off dealing with childhood via a hilarious account of the author's visit to John & Paul's childhood homes.

81ng3kR9S7L.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

I really enjoyed this new book. Instead of being a standard biography it's a serious of chapters, arranged roughly chronologically, that largely skim over the familiar story to delve deeper into the slightly less familiar. Thus we learn more about Jimmie Nicol and "Magic Alex". We hear about the Hey Jude promotional film from the point of view of the fans that took part and the story of the Apple Roof Gig is largely told by the policemen called to complaints about the noise. The book starts off dealing with childhood via a hilarious account of the author's visit to John & Paul's childhood homes.

81ng3kR9S7L.jpg

Couple of hundred pages in and thoroughly enjoying it. As you note, much of it is familiar, but the lightness of touch and frequently skewed perspective keeps it fresh.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, JustDan said:

This goes a long way towards proving my hypothesis that kids are just fucking stupid no matter the decade they live.

4 hours ago, Flea said:

This goes a long way towards proving my hypothesis that kids are just fucking stupid no matter the decade they live.

You can't just blanket-generalize all kids as being stupid. I was a little kid for most of the 60s, so I didn't know any better. I will say though, looking back now & watching these old highlight reels, I just thought teenagers growing up in the 60s would be cooler, more sophisticated & look at things with a little more enlightenment and maturity considering what was going on around them at the time instead of judging artists/musicians by what kind of clothes they wore or if their facial hair made them look less "pretty" for a pin-up poster. What a bunch of squares. Then again, you have to take into account what this show's target audience was. It was like Teen Beat magazine, only made for TV and it was targeted to mostly white middle-upper class kids growing up in the suburbs, & I guess the 60s weren't all that far removed from the Ozzie & Harriet/Leave it to Beaver TV family lifestyle. The Beatles made their best, most creative music after 1965. By '66 they had already outgrown the whole "teen idol" crap, which particularly John & George hated so much.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JustDan said:

You can't just blanket-generalize all kids as being stupid. I was a little kid for most of the 60s, so I didn't know any better. I will say though, looking back now & watching these old highlight reels, I just thought teenagers growing up in the 60s would be cooler, more sophisticated & look at things with a little more enlightenment and maturity considering what was going on around them at the time instead of judging artists/musicians by what kind of clothes they wore or if their facial hair made them look less "pretty" for a pin-up poster. What a bunch of squares. Then again, you have to take into account what this show's target audience was. It was like Teen Beat magazine, only made for TV and it was targeted to mostly white middle-upper class kids growing up in the suburbs, & I guess the 60s weren't all that far removed from the Ozzie & Harriet/Leave it to Beaver TV family lifestyle. The Beatles made their best, most creative music after 1965. By '66 they had already outgrown the whole "teen idol" crap, which particularly John & George hated so much.

I stand by my theorem.  Kids - especially teenagers - are stupid.

5 hours ago, Flea said:

I stand by my theorem.  Kids - especially teenagers - are stupid.

So are plenty of adults. Guess where the kids learn to be stupid from?

On 6/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, JustDan said:

So are plenty of adults. Guess where the kids learn to be stupid from?

No argument.