The "Cycles" of Bruce  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite "Cycle" of Bruce's Career?

• Cycle 1: 1973-1986: Greetings through Live 75/85
    • Cycle 2: 1987-2000: Tunnel of Love through the end of the Reunion Tour
    • Cycle 3: 2001-2017: The Rising through the end of the River Tour 16'/Summer 17'
    • Cycle 4: October 2017- Present: Springsteen on Broadway through Today

Seeing as though I tend to come up with Bruce theories on occasion, this is a concept I thought of a few weeks ago: That Bruce's career can be split up into four cycles. (For simplicity's sake, I started at Greetings).

So, which is your favorite?

Disclaimer: These cycles are open to interpretation and can be disputed!

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

TOL is often problematic to categorize, but I would include TOL as a bookend to the first “era”.

Same here.

Just thinking of that first era (including TOL) makes me happy.

• Like 5

TOL being the end of the first or start of the second is always debateable,for me the fact that the first 7 album box set stops where it does suggests that is Bruce Part 1,with 75/85 being the bookend.

Part 2 would be TOL,HT,LT,Greatest Hits,American Babylon & GOTJ.(A kind of lost & found period)

Part 3 Reunion to death of Clarence. 

Part 4 Death of Clarence to present.

I think it can be all subjective though,as you say they are all open to interpretation especially given that Bruce tends to hang onto some stuff for years before releasing it which makes it more difficult to figure.

Sometimes I wonder if Bruce wishes he could turn his brain off for a while,there must be so much going on in there with the amount of writing he does,the business he is in can be very cruel,to keep going through his depression when many others have faltered is a major achievement.

• Like 5

1973-2019.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 4

I mean, the vote would be outrageously easy if you added TOL to Darkness, BtR, etc - this split makes it a tiny bit competetive at least, and honestly I think it makes the most sense.  TOL is an ending, but it's an ending that for my money ties more closely to the new beginnings that come after than to the stuff that came before.  

• Like 1

In terms of eras, I would say:

Era 1 - Greetings through BTR - Bruce's romanticism period.

Era 2 - Darkness through BITUSA - Bruce's "hard times for the honest man" period.

Era 3 - Tunnel through the start of the reunion tour - Bruce's "lets try a bunch of new shit" period.

Era 4 - Reunion tour through now - The "Bruce loosens up and gets way more comfortable with himself and with doing what he wants" period.

• Like 9

The guy that started touring stadiums with a bandana and sleeveless shirts is definitely not the same guy that wrote New York City Serenade and went around tearing “finally London is ready for...” posters. It’s not even the same guy that wrote Nebraska. 

BitUSA was its  own era, I think.

Anyway, from Born to Run all the way to Nebraska, Bruce was a giant. Unmatched creativity and songwriting. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

The guy that started touring stadiums with a bandana and sleeveless shirts is definitely not the same guy that wrote New York City Serenade and went around tearing “finally London is ready for...” posters. It’s not even the same guy that wrote Nebraska. 

BitUSA was its  own era, I think.

Anyway, from Born to Run all the way to Nebraska, Bruce was a giant. Unmatched creativity and songwriting. 

Are you the same man you used to be?

I've met so many of myselves over the years... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

remember when Bruce talked about how you carry all of your selves (plural) around in the same bus with you every day

you just gotta hope the right one is the one driving 

• Like 1

In addition to what was said.

Tunnel can be considered both the ending of something and also a new beginning. The fact it was followed by the Amnesty Tour -which was a sort of greatest hits tour, with only a few Tunnel songs played (all for the good cause) and then firing of the band and Bruce leaving New Jersey for the bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills, makes it tempting to say Amnesty Tour was end of an era and the Christic shows the start of something new.

Or.

Live 1975/85 end of an era and the Bridge Benefit show a new beginning (Live was not released yet at the day of the Bridge Benefit but it was probably allready finished).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

Not at all. I didn't mean it as criticism. Just that they're completely Bruce era for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badlands78 said:

TOL is often problematic to categorize, but I would include TOL as a bookend to the first “era”.

I also think that Reunion and Rising belong in the same era with each other.

This was definitely a thought I had, but ultimately decided against the first era, just due to the state of the band at that point. Additionally, I feel as though it is separate from the years prior, just due to how the album is. 

That was very easy as the poll numbers show. 

Love them all equally, but differently.  Cannot choose.  

No doubt his peak of masterpiece albums and great songs was between 1973 and 1986...however I honestly think that the quality of his work post reunion onwards has been astonishing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I also think that Reunion and Rising belong in the same era with each other.

14 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Part 3 Reunion to death of Clarence. 

Tend to agree with this, with the full Greetings show in Buffalo the end of an era. The last show with Clarence was the show with a full (and only) performance of the first album, sort of 'full circle'; and the night before in Baltimore, full Born To Run album performance with the last ever Jungleland with Clarence.

However there is a point to be made The Rising was the start of something new: the first new regular studio album in 7 years, the first new regular studio album with the ESB since BUSA. The Rising as Bruce Springsteen's creative rebirth, after a reunion tour which was, well, a reunion tour, not a tour in support of a new album. With Bruce Springsteen becoming relevant again outside his core fanbase, Bruce & ESB becoming big enough to play stadiums again, and younger artists saying Bruce was an influence to them. And, finally, some songs and music on The Rising, especially Worlds Apart, proving the new album was not just a return to the classic ESB sound but there was also something new in the music. And this followed by a stunning solo tour and after that the most daring and unexpected Bruce Springsteen studio album ever. And after that the greatest Bruce Springsteen studio album and tour post-TOL.

It's all open to debate; like this one: that era (from the previous paragraph) ended somewhere in Summer 2008, with setlists structured around strong new albums replaced with sign requests, audibles, full album shows and Sunny Day kids; Bruce Springsteen & The ESB becoming a nostalgia act (the trap they so succesfully avoided after the Reunion Tour).

• Like 1

I went with cycle 1, only on the basis that the summational piece of that cycle (the live box set) is what turned me into the rabid fan I now am.

Given Cycle 3 contains all 6 of my actual live Bruce experiences, along with some of my absolute favorite Bruce music on the albums released in that period, it was a close thing. A very close thing. Infact, I might well vote differently if given the same choice again.

• Like 1

th?id=OIP.5MB7tJc8AKrGpXyJTbDcvwHaFj&pid

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

th?id=OIP.5MB7tJc8AKrGpXyJTbDcvwHaFj&pid

And the deadliest cycle of all:

A3A1FC28-45D5-4C4E-80AC-5BF85F7CAA0B.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

That was very easy as the poll numbers show. 

I voted (thoughtfully) because I wanted to see the results.  I was a bit surprised at the imbalance, but of course I shouldn’t have been.  

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

And the deadliest cycle of all:

A3A1FC28-45D5-4C4E-80AC-5BF85F7CAA0B.png

Laughing out loud and ducking for cover at the same time is actually harder than it looks, as I just discovered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:28 AM, J said:

In terms of eras, I would say:

Era 1 - Greetings through BTR - Bruce's romanticism period.

Era 2 - Darkness through BITUSA - Bruce's "hard times for the honest man" period.

Era 3 - Tunnel through the start of the reunion tour - Bruce's "lets try a bunch of new shit" period.

Era 4 - Reunion tour through now - The "Bruce loosens up and gets way more comfortable with himself and with doing what he wants" period.

This makes most sense to me. But I still could not decide which was my favorite period. It just varies...

• Love Love Love! 1

57 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

This makes most sense to me. But I still could not decide which was my favorite period. It just varies...

I’m with you BT.  I truly love them all.  I guess my favorite ‘cycle’ is 1973-present :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1