Greasy Lake Community

New Archive: December 29th, 1980 - Nassau Coliseum - and a re-released December 31st, 1980

From the essay on Backstreets.com

"But it's not a re-do entirely. Archive watchers will remember a second version for the 2013 Rome recording, but that initial release was a true misfire, necessitating a remixed fileset from Nugs as a replacement. This month's surprise second take of New Year's Eve '80 requires a fresh purchase, although anyone who bought the original version released in 2015 can stream the new files for free in the "My Stash" section of nugs.net."

Anyone who had downloaded the "Outtakes 75-85" bootleg had heard the first four songs from the 12/29 show. In comparing the snippets from the official site, I believe there is a slight sonic upgrade to those four songs. And of course, those four songs were an improvement from the "Coliseum Night" bootleg. So long answer short, this is worth the purchase.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

For some reason or another I didn't get the first 31/12/80 show, think I'll get it this time. 

But besides In the Midnight Hour and Auld Lang Syne, whats the difference in the shows? 

The 29th has the LAST INCIDENT into ROSIE until a certain person got Bruce to play them in Des Moines 29 years later :D

HOOOOOOLLLYYYYYY SSSHHHIIIIIIIIIT

I HAVE A STRONG FEELING THAT THIS IS A FUCKING GREAT SHOW AND IT DOESN'T EVEN FEATURE LOST IN THE FLOOD!!!!

BUT IT HAS INCIDENT BABY! INCIDENT!!!    THAT ALONE SHOULD BE WORTH THE PURCHASE 

• Bruuuuce! 1

11 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

I don't think it is valid to get the remix for free in this case.  The first one was not an error like Rome was which was corrected right away.  Whenever a label releases a newly remastered remix you don't get the new version for free just because you own the original.  The fact that we can stream the new version for free is a nice concession.  If all remixes/remasters were free, then they wouldnt be done and that part of the industry would dry up.  

Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to get the new version for free. I just can't logically justify it.  Again there was nothing technically wrong with the old one, it just wasn't as good as we wanted.

If they get too many people demanding it for free even if they do capitulate then they have no vested interest in doing any others in the future.  Why bother?  They do not do this series out of the goodness of their heart, it is to make money.  I would gladly pay again for remixes of the 2014 shows for example but they are not going to bother if everyone who already bought the originals demands them for free.  Again I think the ability to stream the shows for free if you bought the old one is a good compromise.  Maybe a 50% discount would be a welcome compromise too.

YMMV of course.

Agree with this. 

• Like 5