Anybody else feel that Jesus Was an Only Son is one of Bruce's most underrated songs? I personally feel it's some of his most poignant writing of this century. The lyrics are just phenomenal.

Full disclosure, I'm particularly partial to it as I was there in the audience the night Bruce premiered it at Storytellers in Red Bank in '05. I should also point out that while I'm not a particularly religious person, I don't think I've ever had a stronger, more personal, and affecting reaction to a live song than the one I had being there that night. 

I like how Bruce talked about approaching the subject matter from the secular perspective as it gives the song a very unique and human feel.

While I was never particularly impressed with the organ driven version Bruce put on the album, especially having heard the solo piano first, the song has stuck with me over the years and there are still days I live deeply in that memory of hearing it for the first time. 

If for some reason you've never seen Storytellers and haven't heard that version, the link from Bruce's official Youtube is below:

Jesus Was an Only Son (Storytellers)

Just thought I'd throw this post up tonight because I never see much love for D&D or this song in particular. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 3

I wouldn't say it's underrated at all. Like a majority of Springsteen songs it's held in high regard as an excellent piece of songwriting and there are several versions of the song that are lovely. 

I get where you're coming from but a song not having respective threads on Greasy Lake or not being brought up frequently doesn't mean it's not rated highly. I can't remember the last time I saw a big discussion about, well I don't know so erm, "No Surrender", but that doesn't mean it's not revered.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I wouldn't say it's underrated at all. Like a majority of Springsteen songs it's held in high regard as an excellent piece of songwriting and there are several versions of the song that are lovely. 

I get where you're coming from but a song not having respective threads on Greasy Lake or not being brought up frequently doesn't mean it's not rated highly. I can't remember the last time I saw a big discussion about, well I don't know so erm, "No Surrender", but that doesn't mean it's not revered.

Fair enough. I would, however, argue that a song as cemented in the repertoire as NS doesn't exactly need additional threads to expound upon its legacy. 

JWAOS, on the other hand, could easily (and maybe has) become one of the many lost and overlooked great songs the man has. So bringing it to mind every once and a while, especially for those who may have missed out on other versions if they didn't like the album cut and hit the skip button is a worthy effort. 

• Like 2

The writing is beautiful but the dullness of the sound and the vocals don't do it for me.  

Can't listen to it except for on my beloved Devils boots.  Everything sounds better on them babies.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, LoverInTheCold said:

Anybody else feel that Jesus Was an Only Son is one of Bruce's most underrated songs? I personally feel it's some of his most poignant writing of this century. The lyrics are just phenomenal.

Full disclosure, I'm particularly partial to it as I was there in the audience the night Bruce premiered it at Storytellers in Red Bank in '05. I should also point out that while I'm not a particularly religious person, I don't think I've ever had a stronger, more personal, and affecting reaction to a live song than the one I had being there that night. 

I like how Bruce talked about approaching the subject matter from the secular perspective as it gives the song a very unique and human feel.

While I was never particularly impressed with the organ driven version Bruce put on the album, especially having heard the solo piano first, the song has stuck with me over the years and there are still days I live deeply in that memory of hearing it for the first time. 

If for some reason you've never seen Storytellers and haven't heard that version, the link from Bruce's official Youtube is below:

Jesus Was an Only Son (Storytellers)

Just thought I'd throw this post up tonight because I never see much love for D&D or this song in particular. 

Bizarre that this is on here as I just listened to it about ten minutes ago for the first time in several years. I love the song. I love the approach of Mary as not the mother of god but as the mother of a suffering child. And I love the thought of Jesus as not just the son of God, but the son of an earthly mother. The image of him reading a book at his mother’s feet is beautiful imagery.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

22 minutes ago, Kay said:

The writing is beautiful but the dullness of the sound and the vocals don't do it for me.  

Can't listen to it except for on my beloved Devils boots.  Everything sounds better on them babies.  

I wholeheartedly agree. I remember coming home from Storytellers, desperate to hear it again when the album came out, and then getting a version that's basically a dud or at the very least a shell of the live solo piano. So disappointing.

7 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Bizarre that this is on here as I just listened to it about ten minutes ago for the first time in several years. I love the song. I love the approach of Mary as not the mother of god but as the mother of a suffering child. And I love the thought of Jesus as not just the son of God, but the son of an earthly mother. The image of him reading a book at his mother’s feet is beautiful imagery.

Well said.

• Like 2

“And the day after that.  And the day after that.  And the day after that.  And the day after that.”

A very powerful and almost different song live on the tour.

• Like 3

Great post. I love this song. (And I heard it on the album long before a live version, so my appreciation of it started there).

The verse that begins with "There's a loss that can never be replaced..." is as powerful as anything in the catalogue for me. Beautiful writing.

It's certainly not underrated by me... in my post reunion Top 10, maybe even Top 5 on a good day.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

The laughing emoji was cos I realised you HAD decided to go with that name! Great stuff - started my day off with a laugh. :D

• Like 2

Brilliant song.

The definitive version is found on the SSB TOUR. Stunning.

• Like 2

Gonna take a lot of getting used to if long-standing Lakers start changing their user names :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Jesus may have been God's only son, but Mary had another child.

No one ever mentions poor little James. It couldn't have been easy growing up with a brother who is the Lord and Savior.

"James, why can't you be more like your brother?"

"He's...um...the Christ."

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 7

@Pregnant Sally

I didn't seriously think this was possible. Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Silvia said:

@Pregnant Sally

They've always changed names when requested. One lad didn't like his name and asked us … yes, asked us … what he should change it to. 'Anus' was the choice as it was close to what he had already … can't remember if he went with it or not. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

@Pregnant Sally

I assume it will be changed back in 9 months time...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

They've always changed names when requested. One lad didn't like his name and asked us … yes, asked us … what he should change it to. 'Anus' was the choice as it was close to what he had already … can't remember if he went with it or not. :D

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

I assume it will be changed back in 9 months time...?

Well, the change has definitely occurred on the most appropriate thread, hasn't it?

:)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Great post. I love this song. (And I heard it on the album long before a live version, so my appreciation of it started there).

The verse that begins with "There's a loss that can never be replaced..." is as powerful as anything in the catalogue for me. Beautiful writing.

It's certainly not underrated by me... in my post reunion Top 10, maybe even Top 5 on a good day.

That's my favorite verse as well. 

14 hours ago, LoverInTheCold said:

The lyrics are just phenomenal.

Tremendously written song!! Love it!! 

7 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

"James, why can't you be more like your brother?"

"He's...um...the Christ."

Hahahaha !!! 

7 hours ago, Silvia said:

@Pregnant Sally

I asked but actually conversed it over with PRR and decided I'd stay with my boring ole name - she got my message too late and did it anyway!

She said I'm stuck with it for nine months.  We shall see if I ask for early delivery.

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

The laughing emoji was cos I realised you HAD decided to go with that name! Great stuff - started my day off with a laugh. :D

What's going on here, everyone changing name and all!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I was just about to say the same thing!!!! :lol:

41 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

5 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I was just about to say the same thing!!!! :lol:

It's code.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2