Promise61

People have often asked me, why do you love that guy so much?

THE MEDLEY :wub::wub::wub:...

... is just one (very important mind) reason of a million. 

• Like 3

Although it's heavily edited on the No Nukes album, it still remains as one of the most exciting things he's ever committed to record.  Back when he was hungry, largely unknown and just about to jettison The Ties That Bind.

Love it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Although it's heavily edited on the No Nukes album, it still remains as one of the most exciting things he's ever committed to record.  Back when he was hungry, largely unknown and just about to jettison The Ties That Bind.

Love it.

That new audio is another reason why we're better off for the Archive Series. 

• Like 1

I say listen to the first three songs of The Leeds 2013 show. If you don't get it there's no help. 

• Like 4

People think I am a bit mad with my Bruce obsession but I don't care. 

Honestly think we have all been truly blest to have been fans over the years. 

In answer to the original question..in 1982 when I was 17 it was a very good year (yes...cheers Frankie boy !). It was the year I first heard The River and Independence Day, the first Bruce Springsteen songs I ever heard. That was it. Didn't think it was possible for anyone to be so good. I knew right away this was the artist for me. i defy anyone to hear these songs and not think that this is the work of a songwriting genius.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

People think I am a bit mad with my Bruce obsession but I don't care. 

Honestly think we have all been truly blest to have been fans over the years. 

In answer to the original question..in 1982 when I was 17 it was a very good year (yes...cheers Frankie boy !). It was the year I first heard The River and Independence Day, the first Bruce Springsteen songs I ever heard. That was it. Didn't think it was possible for anyone to be so good. I knew right away this was the artist for me. i defy anyone to hear these songs and not think that this is the work of a songwriting genius.

I love Independence Day .... But i think the true genius of the song hit me some 33 years after it came out when i became the father in the song and my son was leaving for college.... How did he ever do that ? Talk about his magic trick ...wow

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

My answer is passion and ability to tell a story. Perhaps even urgency? His best songs feel like they have to happen RIGHT NOW! Gordon Lightfoot could tell a nice story, but where is the passion and urgency?  

• Like 3

I get asked this at times too, especially as a millennial. Honestly, his lyrics and music just speak to me like no others do. The thought and emotion he puts into his work is just amazing. As others have mentioned how can you listen to Thunder Road and not be amazed? He also puts on a hell of show, and the chemistry between the band is unmatched:D.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

My answer is passion and ability to tell a story. Perhaps even urgency? His best songs feel like they have to happen RIGHT NOW! Gordon Lightfoot could tell a nice story, but where is the passion and urgency?  

The next time i call you a wind up merchant, you quote me that and I'll shut up :D

Nice post mate

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

This ..

I cant go on like this ....I'm 30 years old ...My hearts startin' to go on me :lol:

Paging @rachelharms :wub:

33 minutes ago, Declansk said:

Honestly, his lyrics and music just speak to me like no others do. 

100% 

For me there’s also something I just can’t put into words.  I love lots of musicians/bands.  Really, really love them.  But Bruce is just in a category all his own.  

Yes, it’s his lyrics and music. His storytelling ability.  His connection to his fans.  His incredible live shows.  

But it’s also something much more than that, and it’s impossible to accurately articulate what exactly “it” is.  

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

The next time i call you a wind up merchant, you quote me that and I'll shut up :D

Nice post mate

I’ll never stop you or anybody else from calling me out. It’s good for the soul.

To add to this though, I mentioned Gordon Lightfoot, but I could as well have said Glen Campbell (which is apparently what this last album was kind of aiming for). Campbell had some damn good songs, but was there passion or urgency to them? Bruce is best when he is passionate and urgent. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

100% 

For me there’s also something I just can’t put into words.  I love lots of musicians/bands.  Really, really love them.  But Bruce is just in a category all his own.  

Yes, it’s his lyrics and music. His storytelling ability.  His connection to his fans.  His incredible live shows.  

But it’s also something much more than that, and it’s impossible to accurately articulate what exactly “it” is.  

You've perfectly articulated my same inability to articulate what that mysterious 'it' is. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

for me its so many things

but it was hearing the river for the first time that hooked me in

i knew the voice but this was no BITUSA Bruce Springsteen 

i had to discover the storytelling

and being a country music fan  story telling was important 

but empathy is what keeps me hanging around

its the drug that fuels my addiction

the themes of his work

hope love faith strength community work empathy 

his words connect with me like no one else ever has

his music is the only music that makes me want to dance

DOTEOT the album

his guitar playing (especially the 78 intro) 

honorable mention he's  eye candy and the world can be a hard cold grey place 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

I gave up trying to explain it years ago. I used to care if other people "got it" like I did, then I realized that the less people who love him, the more there is for me.

I mean, there are people who legitimately feel Kid Rock is the greatest musician of all time. If that's the case, why bother worrying about what non-Brucies think. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, LoverInTheCold said:

I gave up trying to explain it years ago. I used to care if other people "got it" like I did, then I realized that the less people who love him, the more there is for me.

I mean, there are people who legitimately feel Kid Rock is the greatest musician of all time. If that's the case, why bother worrying about what non-Brucies think. 

all the money i wasted trying to convert people by giving them CDs ....:( (before i found greasylake)  i just needed to shear my fandom akin to the mormans knocking on your door 

we all have each other here on the lake i have no need to spread the gospel any more

besides once i realized how hard it is to get tickets it changed my evangelistic ways instantly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

for me its so many things

but it was hearing the river for the first time that hooked me in

i knew the voice but this was no BITUSA Bruce Springsteen 

i had to discover the storytelling

and being a country music fan  story telling was important 

but empathy is what keeps me hanging around

its the drug that fuels my addiction

the themes of his work

hope love faith strength community work empathy 

his words connect with me like no one else ever has

his music is the only music that makes me want to dance

DOTEOT the album

his guitar playing (especially the 78 intro) 

honorable mention he's  eye candy and the world can be a hard cold grey place 

The empathy is an under-appreciated quality. And he really doesn’t go to the level of sympathy, which is not always easy to avoid.

Well done Daisy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan of the concept of Bruce more than his recorded material.  There's many other artists that I've logged many more hours listening to.

18 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

The empathy is an under-appreciated quality. And he really doesn’t go to the level of sympathy, which is not always easy to avoid.

Well done Daisy.

thank you Jertucky

your right about the sympathy

and i think its better he is empathetic rather than sympathetic 

sympathy isnt always what people need in certain situations especially the way some people deliver it from their high horses 

its like how he sings his songs as a witness to what he sees and not as the judge or the jury

Bruce also tends to tell one to keep going, things will be alright 

until i found DOTEOT i didn't really understand my world or my place in it

no one ever said to me 'i know how you feel ' before but then Bruce did 

and i think once someone has given you a bit of empathy its a lot eaiser to then give it to others

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1