Sign in to follow this  
VABOSSFAN

That sax....There will never be another....

Recommended Posts

Every time I hear sax in a mix, I can't help but think it's not as good as Clarence. The Big Man's style and skill always cut through like a buzzsaw. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  He was something extraordinary for sure. 

That’s no slight at all on Jake, whom I feel is exceptionally talented in his own right, and does a fantastic job.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake is very good, but there was just something magical about Clarence’s presence that just can’t be recreated.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I have to say anything about Clarence and his sax solo during Jungleland, except to say it's always been very special to me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good, now its over, Time has moved on & so has bruce, Please no more politically correct sax solos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Clarence on sax (obviously not him in the video) on this early 80's midwest hit that Clevelanders know well.
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys ever hear of Boots Randolph?  Maybe not by name but I guarantee you’ve heard his sax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 years ago Tuesday, July 9th, Clarence blew my mind with my first live Jungleland sax solo.  I’ll never forget the feeling of my first Bruce & E Street concert or that solo!

  • Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake's great and no disrespect intended  but there is only one iconic sax player in my E Street book

i kind of wish all of C's solos were now done on guitar by Bruce

that was my hope when C saddly passed away and its still my prefered option

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont get me wrong Jungleland solo is superb, but my favourite and imho his most soulful solo is on Independence Day, turns me to jelly every time.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Dont get me wrong Jungleland solo is superb, but my favourite and imho his most soulful solo is on Independence Day, turns me to jelly every time.

Drive All Night has a similar effect on me also.

Not quite in that category, there are also two up tempo solos that for me elevate their respective songs to other levels. The first is the one in Janey Don't You Lose Heart. The second is the Bobby Jean outro... that 'good luck, goodbye' line followed by that glorious soaring goosebump inducing sax is one of the reasons the BITUSA album led me to further explore the back catalogue 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i kind of wish all of C's solos were now done on guitar by Bruce

 

Testify sister! I'd love to hear that.

  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, badlands78 said:

You guys ever hear of Boots Randolph?  Maybe not by name but I guarantee you’ve heard his sax.

I believe he did the Benny Hill theme 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i kind of wish all of C's solos were now done on guitar by Bruce

Sorry DJ, I gotta disagree with you here.  Those solos were meant for a sax, IMO.  

Yes, Jake isn’t Clarence.  I’m not even talking about his playing.  His playing is great. 

It’s the history... years and years of friendship, coming apart and then coming back together that made the legend of ‘Bruce and Clarence.’ 

The MAN, and what he represents, and yes, even a lot of his playing can never be replaced.  

Jake, isn’t ‘replacing’ Clarence.  Nobody can.  But he’s a damn fine musician in his own right.  And I simply love that thousand watt smile.  

If Clarence is watching from the great beyond, I’m betting he’s very, very proud of his nephew.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another story about Clarence. My mother was at the show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on December 8th 1980 (the night John Lennon was killed). She was in one of the front rows and she caught a candy cane Clarence had thrown out. Shockingly, she had the candy cane up until a few years ago. It was very deteriorated.:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Declansk said:

Another story about Clarence. My mother was at the show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on December 8th 1980 (the night John Lennon was killed). She was in one of the front rows and she caught a candy cane Clarence had thrown out. Shockingly, she had the candy cane up until a few years ago. It was very deteriorated.:lol:

:D

Love this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Sorry DJ, I gotta disagree with you here.  Those solos were meant for a sax, IMO.  

Yes, Jake isn’t Clarence.  I’m not even talking about his playing.  His playing is great. 

It’s the history... years and years of friendship, coming apart and then coming back together that made the legend of ‘Bruce and Clarence.’ 

The MAN, and what he represents, and yes, even a lot of his playing can never be replaced.  

Jake, isn’t ‘replacing’ Clarence.  Nobody can.  But he’s a damn fine musician in his own right.  And I simply love that thousand watt smile.  

If Clarence is watching from the great beyond, I’m betting he’s very, very proud of his nephew.  

i did say no offence to intended towards Jake

and he does seem to be a find young man and a very talented musician

and the sound of the saxophone is so iconic in Bruce Springsteen music

i just like the guutar more 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i did say no offence to intended towards Jake

and he does seem to be a find young man and a very talented musician

Yeah, I know you didn’t mean anything against Jake.  

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

and the sound of the saxophone is so iconic in Bruce Springsteen music

Yes.  That’s exactly why I said what I said.  

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i just like the guutar more 

That’s fine.  Just don’t take the sax solos away! Charlie Brown understands... 

 

 

 

9FCAEA27-077B-4261-827E-42D29BCB6FCC.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, DaveNJ95 said:

It's Clarence on sax (obviously not him in the video) on this early 80's midwest hit that Clevelanders know well.
 

 

Thanks for sharing this .. I definitely remember the song, but was not aware C did sax work.  Wow, is that video a time capsule of the cheesy videos of the early 80s ... so funny to watch now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only 1 that thinks that sax sound had become largely irrelevant & contrived after btr. Ditch it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, TupacThePuma said:

It was good, now its over, Time has moved on & so has bruce, Please no more politically correct sax solos!

What’s a politically correct sax solo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

What’s a politically correct sax solo?

A Jeremy Corbyn sax solo, do try & keep up, there's a good fellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this