Sign in to follow this  
VABOSSFAN

That sax....There will never be another....

Every time I hear sax in a mix, I can't help but think it's not as good as Clarence. The Big Man's style and skill always cut through like a buzzsaw. 

• Like 2

Yeah.  He was something extraordinary for sure. 

That’s no slight at all on Jake, whom I feel is exceptionally talented in his own right, and does a fantastic job.  

• Like 8

Jake is very good, but there was just something magical about Clarence’s presence that just can’t be recreated.

• Like 4

I don't think I have to say anything about Clarence and his sax solo during Jungleland, except to say it's always been very special to me.

• Like 6

It was good, now its over, Time has moved on & so has bruce, Please no more politically correct sax solos!

It's Clarence on sax (obviously not him in the video) on this early 80's midwest hit that Clevelanders know well.

• Like 2

You guys ever hear of Boots Randolph?  Maybe not by name but I guarantee you’ve heard his sax.

38 years ago Tuesday, July 9th, Clarence blew my mind with my first live Jungleland sax solo.  I’ll never forget the feeling of my first Bruce & E Street concert or that solo!

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Jake's great and no disrespect intended  but there is only one iconic sax player in my E Street book

i kind of wish all of C's solos were now done on guitar by Bruce

that was my hope when C saddly passed away and its still my prefered option

Dont get me wrong Jungleland solo is superb, but my favourite and imho his most soulful solo is on Independence Day, turns me to jelly every time.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Dont get me wrong Jungleland solo is superb, but my favourite and imho his most soulful solo is on Independence Day, turns me to jelly every time.

Drive All Night has a similar effect on me also.

Not quite in that category, there are also two up tempo solos that for me elevate their respective songs to other levels. The first is the one in Janey Don't You Lose Heart. The second is the Bobby Jean outro... that 'good luck, goodbye' line followed by that glorious soaring goosebump inducing sax is one of the reasons the BITUSA album led me to further explore the back catalogue 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Testify sister! I'd love to hear that.

• Bruuuuce! 1

13 hours ago, badlands78 said:

You guys ever hear of Boots Randolph?  Maybe not by name but I guarantee you’ve heard his sax.

I believe he did the Benny Hill theme 

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sorry DJ, I gotta disagree with you here.  Those solos were meant for a sax, IMO.  

Yes, Jake isn’t Clarence.  I’m not even talking about his playing.  His playing is great. 

It’s the history... years and years of friendship, coming apart and then coming back together that made the legend of ‘Bruce and Clarence.’ 

The MAN, and what he represents, and yes, even a lot of his playing can never be replaced.  

Jake, isn’t ‘replacing’ Clarence.  Nobody can.  But he’s a damn fine musician in his own right.  And I simply love that thousand watt smile.  

If Clarence is watching from the great beyond, I’m betting he’s very, very proud of his nephew.  

• Like 6

Another story about Clarence. My mother was at the show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on December 8th 1980 (the night John Lennon was killed). She was in one of the front rows and she caught a candy cane Clarence had thrown out. Shockingly, she had the candy cane up until a few years ago. It was very deteriorated.:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Declansk said:

Another story about Clarence. My mother was at the show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on December 8th 1980 (the night John Lennon was killed). She was in one of the front rows and she caught a candy cane Clarence had thrown out. Shockingly, she had the candy cane up until a few years ago. It was very deteriorated.:lol:

:D

Love this

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Sorry DJ, I gotta disagree with you here.  Those solos were meant for a sax, IMO.  

Yes, Jake isn’t Clarence.  I’m not even talking about his playing.  His playing is great. 

It’s the history... years and years of friendship, coming apart and then coming back together that made the legend of ‘Bruce and Clarence.’ 

The MAN, and what he represents, and yes, even a lot of his playing can never be replaced.  

Jake, isn’t ‘replacing’ Clarence.  Nobody can.  But he’s a damn fine musician in his own right.  And I simply love that thousand watt smile.  

If Clarence is watching from the great beyond, I’m betting he’s very, very proud of his nephew.  

i did say no offence to intended towards Jake

and he does seem to be a find young man and a very talented musician

and the sound of the saxophone is so iconic in Bruce Springsteen music

i just like the guutar more 

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i did say no offence to intended towards Jake

and he does seem to be a find young man and a very talented musician

Yeah, I know you didn’t mean anything against Jake.  

and the sound of the saxophone is so iconic in Bruce Springsteen music

Yes.  That’s exactly why I said what I said.  

i just like the guutar more 

That’s fine.  Just don’t take the sax solos away! Charlie Brown understands... 

9FCAEA27-077B-4261-827E-42D29BCB6FCC.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, DaveNJ95 said:

It's Clarence on sax (obviously not him in the video) on this early 80's midwest hit that Clevelanders know well.

Thanks for sharing this .. I definitely remember the song, but was not aware C did sax work.  Wow, is that video a time capsule of the cheesy videos of the early 80s ... so funny to watch now.

Am I the only 1 that thinks that sax sound had become largely irrelevant & contrived after btr. Ditch it now!

On 7/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, TupacThePuma said:

It was good, now its over, Time has moved on & so has bruce, Please no more politically correct sax solos!

What’s a politically correct sax solo?

3 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

What’s a politically correct sax solo?

A Jeremy Corbyn sax solo, do try & keep up, there's a good fellow