Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Roadie

The Rugby World Cup 2019 Thread

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i think its just tradition 

When the Queen or visiting dignitories or even big names from pop culture visit they all get one 

its not necessarily a war dance as more of a respectful welcomd...although in the All Blacks case it is a war dance ! 

your right - its entertaining to see the oppositions reaction but i dpnt like when the crowd jeers (anyone) 

I was at Twickenham in 1993 when England won - the crowd sang Swing Low over the haka and it was actually fecking impressive (although also the worst day I have ever had at a rugby game thanks to losing to that miserable lot!) I have no problem with different crowds reacting in different ways - it's the crowd rising to the challenge.  

• Like 1

what about touch judges shaking hands with subbed players? That happened in the Eng v Tonga game.  I think maybe the refs have been told to chill a bit??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaun said:

what about touch judges shaking hands with subbed players? That happened in the Eng v Tonga game.  I think maybe the refs have been told to chill a bit??

hmmmmmm

i mean its a big thing for a career playing in a world cup - for a player or for that matter a ref or touch judge

some subbed players go home never having been on the feild

i think maybe that's an ok gesture 

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I was at Twickenham in 1993 when England won - the crowd sang Swing Low over the haka and it was actually fecking impressive (although also the worst day I have ever had at a rugby game thanks to losing to that miserable lot!) I have no problem with different crowds reacting in different ways - it's the crowd rising to the challenge.  

ill never get the singing:lol:

i think if its done respectfully without arrogantance or bad crowd behavour, with good humour rather than meaness because on and off the pitch there is too much arrogantance in sport (maybe my mind is still in cricket mode)

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ill never get the singing:lol:

i think if its done respectfully without arrogantance or bad crowd behavour, with good humour rather than meaness because on and off the pitch there is too much arrogantance in sport (maybe my mind is still in cricket mode)

Is "arrogantance" a Japanese word? :D

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Is "arrogantance" a Japanese word? :D

:lol: for the rest if the turnament

• Haha 1

One suspects the Fijians were a bit complacent... :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

One suspects the Fijians were a bit complacent... :lol:

but that's so excitting for Uruguay and growing the game not just in the Americas but in all the minnow rugby playing nations

i do agree with this

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116104348/rugby-bosses-blasted-for-turning-rugby-world-cup-into-a-circus-as-imports-flood-teamsthread

but its not completly cut and dried

its hard to foster the game if you never win

its also not good for those pacific island nations that loose players to more successful or richer nations and plenty of nations including NZ have poached emerging talent

but can you blame a player for wanting to better life for himself if he's from a poor country with few opportunities and maybe a corrupt  rugby board that's not doing enough to support their players ?

im a big and long time supporter of Argentina

i want them to do well and it shows the deept of their talent (and not of their pockets) to hear that they have no foreign players in their team

should the line also be drawn at coaches ?

but what if your from a country saturated with great players - so a player might move countries so they can advance their careers 

but that's so excitting for Uruguay and growing the game not just in the Americas but in all the minnow rugby playing nations

Of course. The sad thing is that Fiji were so off that it looked more like minnow beating minnow instead of a genuine upset.

22 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Of course. The sad thing is that Fiji were so off that it looked more like minnow beating minnow instead of a genuine upset.

well hopefully Uruguay can capitalize on some confidence and cause another upset

back in 1982 NZ made the soccer world cup

we never won a game- i think we scored a goal - but it did wounders for the game's popularity at the time 

may we see more good things from Uruguay in the future

we scored 2!  Both against Scotland.

• Bruuuuce! 1

What can you say..... incredible....the World Cup has just exploded into life!

Well done to the Mighty Brave Blossoms....made Ireland look pedestrian.

download.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Well done Wales!!!!! What a wally!

I love it - just so predictable and pathetic.  The sound of him whining would drown out the noise from the A380 sent to fly their bloated squad home early.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

I love it - just so predictable and pathetic.  The sound of him whining would drown out the noise from the A380 sent to fly their bloated squad home early.

Thing is hes actually got avery good team, but this incessant whining and 'them against us' and arguing with everything that goes against what he wants is becoming extremely boring.

I think Michael Hooper is a great 7 and a great player, but Cheika brings the worst out of him with his back chatting refs. 

Like Nigel Owens said.....

Routine win for the All Blacks - not too bad given it looked like someone covered the ball with oil...

• Like 1

cute little Jappaness rugby fans 

1570132218324.jpg

• Like 1

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/116337296/rugby-world-cup-forget-about-expensive-unreliable-streaming-come-to-the-cook-islands-where-the-rugby-is-free-and-easy

they did a whip around of local bussiness to fund paying for the broadcasting rights for the national tv station so its add free and free to air

too bad no one did that here 

Great stuff from Scotland this morning, sets up Sunday nicely, if they keep their discipline on Sunday they have a superb chance.

Ans wasn`t it great to see Princess Anne belting out Flower of Scotland.

• Like 1

Just watched Wales v Fiji for second time. Great match for a neutral rugby fan I'd say, but TMOs a bit long.

• Like 1