I don't think I've ever seen this song being discussed on here,is it not well liked by diehards? I absolutely love it.It's probably my favourite song off Magic,love playing it while having a few beers with friends,great party tune!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Love it. One of my favorites! 

• Like 1

I think the song is liked/loved by most fans but maybe sometimes overlooked -also because -I think- it was never performed again after Magic Tour- and because there are so many other great songs on Magic.

And like Long Walk Home and the song Magic, in these times Livin' In The Future is now even more relevant than when it was written.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I think the song is liked/loved by most fans but maybe sometimes overlooked -also because -I think- it was never performed again after Magic Tour- and because there are so many other great songs on Magic.

And like Long Walk Home and the song Magic, in these times Livin' In The Future is now even more relevant than when it was written.

I'd love if he performs it on the next tour,no speech before the song just straight in with that sax intro!

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've grown to dislike it quite strongly after the release of the three Magic Tour shows from the Archive. 

It seems to be one of the few Bruce songs that sounds better on the album than in a live setting.

At first I hated it but I’ve grown to like it quite a lot. It’s got a great groove, great drumming and great lyrics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

How so? If you are just read the lyrics and hearing the groove/soul of the music? 

Not what Bruce says what the songs are about. But what the actual lyric's. 

I love all three tunes. But Livin' in the Future was my favorite at first too. 

I really do like this song, it's interesting. I like the lyrics, and how the idea is presented. But for some weird reason, I don't listen to Magic very often. When I do, I really enjoy it, but I think the album definitely works better than the live versions we've gotten so fat. Some say the album is overproduced - don't ask me what this means -  all I can say is that I think that the live versions somehow pale in comparison to the studio work.

Radio Nowhere is another example. Great song, but better on the album, than live.

1 minute ago, Silvia said:

Radio Nowhere is another example. Great song, but better on the album, than live.

Really?   Love the album version to bits, and maybe it gets the slight nod; but I really loved it live.  

24 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I really do like this song, it's interesting. I like the lyrics, and how the idea is presented. But for some weird reason, I don't listen to Magic very often. When I do, I really enjoy it, but I think the album definitely works better than the live versions we've gotten so fat. Some say the album is overproduced - don't ask me what this means -  all I can say is that I think that the live versions somehow pale in comparison to the studio work.

15 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Really?   Love the album version to bits, and maybe it gets the slight nod; but I really loved it live.  

I know we are kind of dragging the whole of Magic into this conversation. But if you don't have Boston 07 get it and play Devils Arcade, that is better than the album. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

23 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Magic is a great album to listen to and you're right,it probably sounds better than the live versions.

It's a wonderful song.

But it's kind of ironic that, at the time it was written, it was holding a mirror up to the bleakness of the political landscape.

Then the future DID happen.

"Groundskeeper opened the gates.......and let the wild dogs run".

Turned out prophetic..........big time. :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Loved it from the first. Still love it. Wish he'd segue from it into "Tenth Avenue" or vice-versa. 

• Like 1

Not one of my favourites from Magic i'm afraid.

Great organ solo!!! It's different live and on the album so I enjoy listening to both.

This song is definitely a worthy entry into Bruce's catalogue of upbeat songs with a catchy tune that portray bleak reality.

• Like 2

Never really cared for the song. In fact, it’s the only song on Magic that I don’t particularly care for. 

9 hours ago, Silvia said:

I all I can say is that I think that the live versions somehow pale in comparison to the studio 

9 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Magic is a great album to listen to and you're right,it probably sounds better than the live versions.

Gypsy Biker followed by Magic with backing vocals by Soozie.

Last To Die followed by Long Walk Home each night of the tour.

As said, Devils Arcade.

The Magic Tour, the greatest Bruce Springsteen tour post-1988. And the last tour with a strong focus on the new album.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Gypsy Biker followed by Magic with backing vocals by Soozie.

Last To Die followed by Long Walk Home each night of the tour.

As said, Devils Arcade.

The Magic Tour, the greatest Bruce Springsteen tour post-1988. And the last tour with a strong focus on the new album.

Long Walk Home was actually brilliant on the Wrecking Ball the few times it was played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

And the last tour with a strong focus on the new album.

Wrecking Ball was too, wasn’t it? Maybe not till the end, though.

I love Livin' In The Future, but it's one of those rare songs for me, as a few others have mentioned here, that isn't improved upon live. I don't dislike it live, but it seems a bit plodding where the studio take grooves. I think my first time hearing a live version was when he was on one of the morning shows in New York City and I really didn't like it. I enjoyed it more at the show and I've enjoyed it more than that listening to the Archive Series, but I still play the studio version a lot more.

And since this song title and this thread have got me thinking about it again, I'm just gonna get this off my chest. Something bothers me about the abbreviating of words ending (or should I say endin') in ING in song titles. I don't think he started doing it until The Rising? It's not Racin' In The Street or Dancin' In The Dark. No Workin' On The Highway.He used to use the fuckin' (see what I did there) G. Now it's all soft slang: Chasin' Wild Horses, Waitin' On A Sunny Day, Countin' On A Miracle. I get that we speak that way and sing the words that way, but I guess it's just a weird mental pet peeve I have with the way it should look in a title.

You know what, though? He used the G on Working On A Dream. 

Because he knows I'm right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

And since this song title and this thread have got me thinking about it again, I'm just gonna get this off my chest. Something bothers me about the abbreviating of words ending (or should I say endin') in ING in song titles. I don't think he started doing it until The Rising? It's not Racin' In The Street or Dancin' In The Dark. No Workin' On The Highway.He used to use the fuckin' (see what I did there) G. Now it's all soft slang: Chasin' Wild Horses, Waitin' On A Sunny Day, Countin' On A Miracle. I get that we speak that way and sing the words that way, but I guess it's just a weird mental pet peeve I have with the way it should look in a title.

You know what, though? He used the G on Working On A Dream. 

Because he knows I'm right.

I like his abbreviating of words ending ING,to me it emphasises that country twang he likes to put on some words. Or maybe he just wanted to show off his grammar skills!

I like them sung that way. I just don't like them written like that in the title.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Something bothers me about the abbreviating of words ending (or should I say endin') in ING in song titles. I don't think he started doing it until The Rising?

No, he started doing it on his very first album (see song listed as “Growin’ Up”).

3852FD32-3F67-43B8-BE61-22A4DEC5C12F.jpeg