I'm dead now.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Wrecking Ball was too, wasn’t it? Maybe not till the end, though.

Only in 2012 and with many songs from the new album but not a setlist build around the new album like on Rising and Magic Tours (and Tunnel Tour, and Joad Tour; but also not 2005 where the D & D songs where more in the margins of the show).

I prefer Gary Bonds original version when it had different words.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I prefer Gary Bonds original version when it had different words.

No doubt.

I remember this song taking some criticism for seemingly making light of people hurt by unemployment. I don't hear any digs against the unemployed, just a rock and roll song about a guy trying to find a job.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 9:15 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

I love Livin' In The Future, but it's one of those rare songs for me, as a few others have mentioned here, that isn't improved upon live. I don't dislike it live, but it seems a bit plodding where the studio take grooves. I think my first time hearing a live version was when he was on one of the morning shows in New York City and I really didn't like it. I enjoyed it more at the show and I've enjoyed it more than that listening to the Archive Series, but I still play the studio version a lot more.

And since this song title and this thread have got me thinking about it again, I'm just gonna get this off my chest. Something bothers me about the abbreviating of words ending (or should I say endin') in ING in song titles. I don't think he started doing it until The Rising? It's not Racin' In The Street or Dancin' In The Dark. No Workin' On The Highway.He used to use the fuckin' (see what I did there) G. Now it's all soft slang: Chasin' Wild Horses, Waitin' On A Sunny Day, Countin' On A Miracle. I get that we speak that way and sing the words that way, but I guess it's just a weird mental pet peeve I have with the way it should look in a title.

You know what, though? He used the G on Working On A Dream. 

Because he knows I'm right.

because working on a dream is for old people ? :lol:;)

no - i love that song

but what about the river and the not so great grammer 

i always loved that and it made it more authentic for me

the -in' don't bother because its how some people talk

ps we leave the D off of New Zealand as in New Zealan so maybe that's why it doesn't worry me and some people don't like it and blame the kids but i was watching something from the 1920's today and i heard it 

Sorry, Daisey. I can't respond to that. I'm still dead on this thread. I was killed by badlands78 on the previous page.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Sorry, Daisey. I can't respond to that. I'm still dead on this thread. I was killed by badlands78 on the previous page.

i was going to say he does have this effect on people sometimes

then i remembered what is proffesion is :lol:

I'd give this song a 5 /10, mainly for the lyrics, the tune is very pedestrian. Alot of Magic is pretty pedestrian to be honest with the exception of Radio Nowhere, Gypsy Biker, Devils Arcade and Long Walk Home which are all superb imho.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:47 AM, Lampi said:

Gypsy Biker followed by Magic with backing vocals by Soozie.

Last To Die followed by Long Walk Home each night of the tour.

As said, Devils Arcade.

The Magic Tour, the greatest Bruce Springsteen tour post-1988. And the last tour with a strong focus on the new album.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

Really?   Love the album version to bits, and maybe it gets the slight nod; but I really loved it live.  

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I've been wrong before... :)

29 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I've been wrong before... :)

Oh I wasn’t tying to convince you to change your feelings!  There is, of course, no ‘right’ or ‘wrong.’  I was just surprised is all!  

• Like 1

Just checked on Brucebase and Livin' In The Future was only performed at the Magic Tour, and I think it was played at all shows on the tour except one; and probably all performances with the usual introduction by Bruce. Which means it was a very important song and essential part of the setlist to Bruce himself. But after hearing this a few times, on audio of the tour and maybe also one or more times in person, it is easy to understand for this song one might prefer the studio version.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, HeroOfVirtue said:

Great organ solo!!! It's different live and on the album so I enjoy listening to both.

This song is definitely a worthy entry into Bruce's catalogue of upbeat songs with a catchy tune that portray bleak reality.

Livin in the Future definitely has that classic E Street sound to it. My favorite song on Magic is Girls in their Summer Clothes. It’s absolutely brilliant! GITSC fits the criteria of an upbeat song with distressing  lyrics as well. This is another song that’s never sounded as good live as it does on the album like much of Magic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Declansk said:

This is another song that’s never sounded as good live as it does on the album like much of Magic.

It was sometimes said the usual -or always- 'first song of the encore' spot of Girls In Their Summer Clothes during the tour had something to do with that.

And I'll Work For Your Love has that classic ESB sound too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Maybe everything that dies someday comes back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

It was sometimes said the usual -or always- 'first song of the encore' spot of Girls In Their Summer Clothes during the tour had something to do with that.

And I'll Work For Your Love has that classic ESB sound too.

what a pitty the beaitiful GITSC has not retainer its encore spot

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

I love Livin' In The Future, but it's one of those rare songs for me, as a few others have mentioned here, that isn't improved upon live. I don't dislike it live, but it seems a bit plodding where the studio take grooves. I think my first time hearing a live version was when he was on one of the morning shows in New York City and I really didn't like it. I enjoyed it more at the show and I've enjoyed it more than that listening to the Archive Series, but I still play the studio version a lot more.

And since this song title and this thread have got me thinking about it again, I'm just gonna get this off my chest. Something bothers me about the abbreviating of words ending (or should I say endin') in ING in song titles. I don't think he started doing it until The Rising? It's not Racin' In The Street or Dancin' In The Dark. No Workin' On The Highway.He used to use the fuckin' (see what I did there) G. Now it's all soft slang: Chasin' Wild Horses, Waitin' On A Sunny Day, Countin' On A Miracle. I get that we speak that way and sing the words that way, but I guess it's just a weird mental pet peeve I have with the way it should look in a title.

You know what, though? He used the G on Working On A Dream. 

Because he knows I'm right.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, badlands78 said:

No, he started doing it on his very first album (see song listed as “Growin’ Up”).

3852FD32-3F67-43B8-BE61-22A4DEC5C12F.jpeg

On 7/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm dead now.

I'm guessing the latter day WreckinG Ball song doesn't help your cause....

22 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ps we leave the D off of New Zealand as in New Zealan so maybe that's why it doesn't worry me and some people don't like it and blame the kids but i was watching something from the 1920's today and i heard it 

I'd take that any day over the folks here who pronounce our country 'Strayla

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I'm guessing the latter day WreckinG Ball song doesn't help your cause....

I rise!

On 7/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch 
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick 

On 7/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm dead now.

Aren't you the last to die?

• Like 1