Racing iin the Street

THe Promised Land

The Price you Pay

The River.

Mansion on the Hill

No Surrender

Brilliant Disgusie

• Like 2

This is quickly turning into a list of all of his songs but I don’t think these have been mentioned:

Moonlight Motel

Stray Bullet

State Trooper

Point Blank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I was going to start a thread about how great this song is. It offten gets over shadowed by Badlands and Racing on that album but I would say it has a shot at being in the top 5 Bruce songs ever. I find I sing it to my self very often, one of the greatest intro lines ever.....

On a rattlesnake highway in the Utah dessert.........

and thats after that freakin harmonica!!!!! and I love this version with the harmonica change....class, in fact I think the guy in the gold stripy top at 4:52 is my alter ego ...thats how I dance during this song!!!:D

Most important song in his whole catalogue. It is quintessential Bruce and condenses everything he’s about into one burning, simmering explosion.

Rage, loss, fear, nothingness and triumph.

Greatest last verse he’s ever written too. 

Racing is maybe just a fraction behind it. Only a fraction mind.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 7/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, Captain Chaos said:

One Step Up, Brilliant Disguise come to mind.

I think they’re the amongst the neatest, most effective and truest songs he’s ever written.

Promised Land would definitely feature along with Sandy, Incident, NYCS, both of the “Born....”, Racing and Moonlight Motel.

There’s tons of others.

I adore One Step Up - it's the first song I'll go to when I think of Bruce's many many masterpieces (more often than not for the benefit of an iTunes playlist). Looking back I have probably listened to it more times than any other song of his. It's filled with so much haunting regret and brutal self reflection - as you note certainly amongst the truest song he's ever written. The melody is as beautiful as Bruce's honesty.

'I'm sitting here in this bar tonight but all I'm thinking is 'I'm the same old story, same old act.' That line cuts deep.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, SteveJhb said:

An album that is a masterpiece from start to finish... Tough ask. 40 or 50 minutes of perfection from track 1 to the last song is almost impossible.

But a perfect song, a perfect record, that is a true masterpiece? That's a different story. And Bruce has many of those I think.

I think of a masterpiece as something thats not of pure beauty throughout but rather something that really mirrors the creators spirit and soul at that time, something truly unique. In that regard i believe tunnel of love (album) is the closest thing he came to writing a

But Dont ask me. I believe Driving Rain and Press to Play are masterpiece - the best albums paul McCartney released and i believe They are better than any Beatles album. And The Phantom Menace is a fantastic, sad, nostalgic, bittersweet Star Wars movie. 

So...

• Like 1

Many of the songs mentioned above (though definitely not all of them for me), and I’m adding Valentine’s Day.  

“I got one hand steady on the wheel, and one hand’s trembling over my heart” along with that beautiful waltz time. 

• Like 4

On 7/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, ChurchBay said:

I adore One Step Up - it's the first song I'll go to when I think of Bruce's many many masterpieces (more often than not for the benefit of an iTunes playlist). Looking back I have probably listened to it more times than any other song of his. It's filled with so much haunting regret and brutal self reflection - as you note certainly amongst the truest song he's ever written. The melody is as beautiful as Bruce's honesty.

'I'm sitting here in this bar tonight but all I'm thinking is 'I'm the same old story, same old act.' That line cuts deep.

that entire Album i find way too brutal and honest to listen to and i don't like the reflection in the mirror

but masterpiece it most definatly is

14 hours ago, japaneseguitar said:

I think of a masterpiece as something thats not of pure beauty throughout but rather something that really mirrors the creators spirit and soul at that time, something truly unique. In that regard i believe tunnel of love (album) is the closest thing he came to writing a

But Dont ask me. I believe Driving Rain and Press to Play are masterpiece - the best albums paul McCartney released and i believe They are better than any Beatles album. And The Phantom Menace is a fantastic, sad, nostalgic, bittersweet Star Wars movie. 

So...

Jar_Jar_aotc.jpg

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, judgejudge said:

The Last Carnival 

RIP Danny 

100,000% 

• Like 1

Ill work for your love is a standout. So is funny/unfunny outlaw pete.

Brilliant disguise,

stolen car,

gotta get that feeling,

the wish, 

and out in the street are quintessential Bruce . 

And Badlands may be the greatest rock song there is. 

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to the party but...

When I think of the word masterpiece (the song as a whole, not just single lines) these are the first songs that come to mind:

The Price You Pay 
Independence Day
The Ghost of Tom Joad

IMO they're some of the greatest (if not the greatest) songs written by anyone ever.

These are some of the songs that come very, very close to the ones listed above (so close that they could practically be included in the masterpiece category):

The Hitter
Walk Like a Man
Devils & Dust
The Promise
If I Should Fall Behind
Racing in the Street

• Like 1

The lyrics to Loose Change sum up in three minutes the symptoms of depression better than any other song I've heard.

• Like 2

..i would just like to add loose change is every bit the masterpiece.....just give me some time to think up some reasons

:D

• Like 1