WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Has anyone seen "Blinded by the Light"? If so, what did you think?

My wife and I received an invite to an early screening for this evening in the Seattle area and we are planning on going. I heard there has been other early screenings.

I saw it about a month ago in Dublin after a Western Stars listening party. I'm very familiar with the book that it's loosely based on and am generally a fan of its author but I can't pretend I loved the film or thought it was exceptional. It's a nice coming of age story and, sure, the music is great but I could do without the characters running through the streets spontaneously singing Born to Run. It's quite strong in the first half when the lead character discovers the music and understanding how it spoke to him personally but it lost some of that spark the longer it went on. 

I think if the same film existed but it was the music of a huge star that I didn't care about but others love (let's say Rod Stewart or Billy Joel) I'd really struggle to get through it. I should add that I generally don't care for musicals and at one point I realised that this film could very very easily be adapted for Broadway, the West End and beyond. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's already in the works. 

And if you've ever tried to convince Bruce deniers that there's a lot more to him that blue jeans, bandanas and Born in the USA, this film will set your argument back about 35 years! 

But it's a nice way to pass 90 minutes or so and if you're a fan, which I'm sure you are, you'll enjoy much of it.

of course, other opinions are always available!

• Like 5

I haven't seen it myself; the trailer just made it seem kinda trite and, like Zambini said, like it wouldn't do much for me if it were about someone else; as such, I doubt it'd do much more for me here -- Bruce is great but not every movie about his music necessarily would be. But if others felt more positively about it after actually seeing it, I'd be interested to hear that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zambini said:

I saw it about a month ago in Dublin after a Western Stars listening party. I'm very familiar with the book that it's loosely based on and am generally a fan of its author but I can't pretend I loved the film or thought it was exceptional. It's a nice coming of age story and, sure, the music is great but I could do without the characters running through the streets spontaneously singing Born to Run. It's quite strong in the first half when the lead character discovers the music and understanding how it spoke to him personally but it lost some of that spark the longer it went on. 

I think if the same film existed but it was the music of a huge star that I didn't care about but others love (let's say Rod Stewart or Billy Joel) I'd really struggle to get through it. I should add that I generally don't care for musicals and at one point I realised that this film could very very easily be adapted for Broadway, the West End and beyond. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's already in the works. 

And if you've ever tried to convince Bruce deniers that there's a lot more to him that blue jeans, bandanas and Born in the USA, this film will set your argument back about 35 years! 

But it's a nice way to pass 90 minutes or so and if you're a fan, which I'm sure you are, you'll enjoy much of it.

of course, other opinions are always available!

This is kind of what I feared with this movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it and i'm sure it will be entertaining and heartwarming and all the rest of it, but I just knew it would reinforce the age old Bruce "American working class hero" stereotype. Loads of BITUSA songs and the usual Hungry Heart, Born to Run etc. Let's be honest this movie will have a very limited appeal, but if it helps convert a few more to the Bruce cause then all the better for it. The book was very good and I have met and chatted with Sarfraz a couple of times over the years and he is a decent lad so I hope the film is a success.

• Like 2

There are many, many highly favorable posts on twitter from people who have seen the movie.  

• Like 1

nothing wrong with being an American working class hero stereotype 

im not a fan of musicals but surprisingly loved Mama Mia 

ive been watching the odd Bollywood movie on netflex and sometimes i don't even mind the singing and dancing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

This is kind of what I feared with this movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it and i'm sure it will be entertaining and heartwarming and all the rest of it, but I just knew it would reinforce the age old Bruce "American working class hero" stereotype. Loads of BITUSA songs and the usual Hungry Heart, Born to Run etc. Let's be honest this movie will have a very limited appeal, but if it helps convert a few more to the Bruce cause then all the better for it. The book was very good and I have met and chatted with Sarfraz a couple of times over the years and he is a decent lad so I hope the film is a success.

I don't know it matters if there's a stereotype involved, not for me anyway, I don't care what others take away from the movie really.  

Lots of folks love biopics even if they don't love the artist involved because they are music lovers and they get to see a side of the story they didn't know.  I'm not a huge Queen fan but I loved Bohemian Rhapsody because it was well done and entertaining.  

• Like 2

1978/79 with my girlfriends singing BTR at the top of our lungs or driving in Hudson County NJ in my friends Camaro Berlinetta   T top blasting BTR?  Bring it on once again! :D 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Who remembers Springsteen And I?  Saw that in a full cinema just before the Cardiff show.

Most folks were expecting more.

Philly Elvis and the Bruce-I-got-dumped kid were great though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Who remembers Springsteen And I?  Saw that in a full cinema just before the Cardiff show.

I saw it in Cardiff as well.  The concert footage at the end was spectacular.  I so wish that had been included on DVD or Netflix or HBO or on whatever mediums it was subsequently  released. 

Loved some of it, liked some of it, hated a few of the participants.  (Sorry!) 

The bald guy going hither and yon for his wife is pretty much mr RJM (baldness and all!),  I also enjoyed Philly Elvis, and the I got dumped kid.  I loved the girl at the end who read her letter.  Also the guy who traveled to MSG and got upgraded. 

I received quite a few emails asking if I wanted to participate.  I declined on the grounds that I prefer to not advertise my obsession in THAT public a forum :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I saw it in Cardiff as well.  The concert footage at the end was spectacular.  I so wish that had been included on DVD or Netflix or HBO or on whatever mediums it was subsequently  released. 

The bald guy going hither and yon for his wife is pretty much mr RJM (baldness and all!),  I also enjoyed Philly Elvis, and the I got dumped kid.  I loved the girl at the end who read her letter.  Also the guy who traveled to MSG and got upgraded. 

I received quite a few emails asking if I wanted to participate.  I declined on the grounds that I prefer to not advertise my obsession in THAT public a forum :D

i got an email too

that's weird

who would even know me ?

maybe because i shopped at Backstreets???

i didn't really enjoy it at all

it might have been better with you in it ! 

pixillated naturally ! 

I loved the movie!!! It was a great time. The use of the music was perfect. Walking out I felt that a person would have to be a Springsteen fan to enjoy the movie, but I was wrong. It's based on a true story, but it was obvious at times that there was some drama added to make the story more interesting.

My wife is not a fan and she also loved the movie and she plans to see it again when it is released. 

I don't know if this is a movie that needs to be seen on a big screen. I think it would be just as good at home. If you do want to see it in a theater I recommend seeing it soon after it's released as I don't know if it's going to do very well. The free screening I went to was only about half full.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

@riverdude2 - I haven't read anything about this film but see, above, that it's based on a true story.

Is this the story of the fella we listened to in Edinburgh at The Fringe?

13 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

@riverdude2 - I haven't read anything about this film but see, above, that it's based on a true story.

Is this the story of the fella we listened to in Edinburgh at The Fringe?

It's co-written and is inspired about Sarfraz Manzoor. Yes he did appear at the fringe in 2012 with a show about Bruce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinded_by_the_Light_(2019_film)

• Thanks 1

I'm zonked out, brain-wise, after a fortnight's Jury service. I'm not concentrating on anything this weekend but I'll read that in a couple of days' time.

Thank you!

That was 2012? Blimey … where does the time go? It's like it happened last year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I'm zonked out, brain-wise, after a fortnight's Jury service. I'm not concentrating on anything this weekend but I'll read that in a couple of days' time.

Thank you!

That was 2012? Blimey … where does the time go? It's like it happened last year!

oh dear poor you

id hate to do jury service

Has anybody heard, I'll stand by you yet?

If so is it any different from the demo version we've all heard?

18 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I'll add the bloke who talks about how much of the world he's seen from disliking Bruce. But otherwise, yep, that's about it.

18 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

If by the concert footage you mean the half dozen songs from London (starting with the piano TR), the purchased DVD I have includes those. Infact, those songs and the Philly Elvis bit are the only things I get the DVD out for on a repeated basis

16 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I'll add the bloke who talks about how much of the world he's seen from disliking Bruce. But otherwise, yep, that's about it.

Unless I’m misremembering... That’s the bald guy I was talking about!  The one who goes to all the shows because he loves his wife.  

The difference is Mr RJM absolutely does not dislike Bruce.  He’s grown to like quite a bit of his stuff, and admires the shows he puts on, and his relationship with us fans. 

But he most likely wouldn’t have ever bothered to see a Bruce concert and certainly would NEVER have traveled all over the place to see him.  That (like the guy in the film) my kind and generous hubby does for moi!  

18 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

If by the concert footage you mean the half dozen songs from London (starting with the piano TR), the purchased DVD I have includes those. 

Yes, that’s what I meant!  I didn’t know that, as the only other time I’ve seen it was on one of the paid TV channels.  Good to know.  Thank you!  

• Like 2

Yes, the bald guy... that's the one. The way he delivers his story is funny too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bosstralian said:

Yes, the bald guy... that's the one. The way he delivers his story is funny too

Yes it is!  When he started talking, I turned and looked at my husband and we just started cracking up... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

oh dear poor you

id hate to do jury service

I was only sorry I didn't get to complete the 10 days (or more) - but was talking to some people who have been 'summoned' twice and never been called. I was enthralled!

Looking forward to seeing the film but will just wait for 'ordinary' screenings with Kate and Suzanne, depending on the latter's duty rota. I'm sure we'll be trilling along happily!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I was only sorry I didn't get to complete the 10 days (or more) - but was talking to some people who have been 'summoned' twice and never been called. I was enthralled!

I was a witness for the prosecution a few years back at Merthyr Crown Court. A nasty case where the accused got 14 years. The lovely court assistant told me to look at the jury when responding to every question.  Couldn't do it.

• Like 1

I had a job to stop nodding and smiling when the policemen, judge, prosecution and defence people looked over. Seemed rude not to acknowledge them. :D

Tell you what, though … when the prosecution lad looked over, told us his name was Mr Bean and then grinned … well, I had to remind myself where I was as I was in danger of guffawing!  Eeeee, and when his wig went awry … good heavens, thank goodness I had a video screen in front of me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1